Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discobs 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol at you thinking you have a 0% chance of a crappy year next year. 

Based on the last 40 years, that is a reasonable assumption.

What is your assumption otherwise????   LOL in advance......

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol at you thinking you have a 0% chance of a crappy year next year. 

Mod to strong Nina? Yeah, not a year to get hopes up. That said, hard to be as bad as this past winter. But possible. But I’m all in on the nino 21-22 winter.

• Weenie 1

46 minutes ago, stormy said:

Based on the last 40 years, that is a reasonable assumption.

What is your assumption otherwise????   LOL in advance......

I don’t have an assumption.  A statistical analysis shows we have roughly the same chance at a particular result every year regardless of the previous year. When people say things like “we’ve never had that sequence before” it’s almost always just the result of the lack of two relatively rare events happening too many times consecutively in a small sample size. But a closer look at longer recorded periods shows that once you get on anomalous season the odds of another the following year are the same. Yea it is unlikely to get   an anomalous result multiple times but once you get on anomaly the odds of it happening again next year are no different than it was going into this year and eventually 2 of those years will happen back to back. For example the odds of flipping 5 heads in a row is 3%. But each flip is 50/50. Once you have rolled 4 heads the odds of the 5th is no longer 3%. It’s now still 50/50 you get a heads next flip and complete the 5/5. The odds of each flip are not impacted by the other flips. 

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Not sure you can get a winter worse than the past winter. At least a northern stream winter might be closer to normal temps provided we don’t get a blistering southeast ridge

I agree. This was by far the worst winter in Smithsburg over the last 20 years that ive lived here. Even in the crap years when dca post 1.8 " for the season I still get my  10 to 15 up here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t have an assumption.  A statistical analysis shows we have roughly the same chance at a particular result every year regardless of the previous year. When people say things like “we’ve never had that sequence before” it’s almost always just the result of the lack of two relatively rare events happening too many times consecutively in a small sample size. But a closer look at longer recorded periods shows that once you get on anomalous season the odds of another the following year are the same. Yea it is unlikely to get   an anomalous result multiple times but once you get on anomaly the odds of it happening again next year are no different than it was going into this year and eventually 2 of those years will happen back to back. For example the odds of flipping 5 heads in a row is 3%. But each flip is 50/50. Once you have rolled 4 heads the odds of the 5th is no longer 3%. It’s now still 50/50 you get a heads next flip and complete the 5/5. The odds of each flip are not impacted by the other flips. 

Well then the odds of the next two Winters sucking is low

4 hours ago, peribonca said:

Well then the odds of the next two Winters sucking is low

Yes but only because the odds of any one winter being as bad as last year is relatively low. It’s not any lower because we just had a crappy one and it’s nowhere near the “nearly 0” stormy asserted. It’s probably closer to about 5%. But the odds of getting an only slightly better but still really crappy snowfall result next year is significantly higher (about 50%) maybe higher given the likelyness of a Nina.  Those odds improve some for places west of the fall line where really awful snowless winters are more rare but still not as low as stormy seems to think. 

13 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I agree when you say the odds of each flip are not affected by the other flips.   But, I have observed a 75% likely aberration of flipping to above normal snowfall the year after well below normal snowfall. Two of those 4 above normal winters had a neutral Enso condition. One was a weak La Nina at - .9c. One was a weak El Nino at +.9c.

This past winter gave well below normal snowfall with a neutral to slightly positive Enso. at 0.0 to + 0.5  Enso based predictions would have been anomalously above actuality.

Next winter enso? We don't know, latest CPC probabilities issued March 19:  37% neutral,  31% La Nina,  32% El Nino

2 hours ago, stormy said:

I agree when you say the odds of each flip are not affected by the other flips.   But, I have observed a 75% likely aberration of flipping to above normal snowfall the year after well below normal snowfall. Two of those 4 above normal winters had a neutral Enso condition. One was a weak La Nina at - .9c. One was a weak El Nino at +.9c.

This past winter gave well below normal snowfall with a neutral to slightly positive Enso. at 0.0 to + 0.5  Enso based predictions would have been anomalously above actuality.

Next winter enso? We don't know, latest CPC probabilities issued March 19:  37% neutral,  31% La Nina,  32% El Nino

A sample size of 4 lacks any statistical significance.  A longer look at data in mid atlantic stations that have over 100 years of records shows the odds of above/below normal snowfall each season is not affected much by the previous seasons results.  We can have several above normal seasons in a row (2014-2016) and there have been runs of more than 5 crap years in a row also.  

Freeze warnings up from LWX.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
119 PM EDT Thu Apr 16 2020

MDZ003>006-503-505-507-508-VAZ025>031-039-040-050>052-055-056-501-
502-505>508-WVZ051>053-170130-
/O.UPG.KLWX.FZ.A.0003.200417T0400Z-200417T1300Z/
/O.NEW.KLWX.FZ.W.0003.200417T0400Z-200417T1300Z/
Washington-Frederick MD-Carroll-Northern Baltimore-
Northwest Montgomery-Northwest Howard-Northwest Harford-
Southeast Harford-Augusta-Rockingham-Shenandoah-Frederick VA-Page-
Warren-Clarke-Madison-Rappahannock-Orange-Culpeper-
Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park-Stafford-Spotsylvania-
Northern Fauquier-Southern Fauquier-Western Loudoun-
Eastern Loudoun-Northern Virginia Blue Ridge-
Central Virginia Blue Ridge-Morgan-Berkeley-Jefferson-
Including the cities of Hagerstown, Frederick, Ballenger Creek,
Eldersburg, Westminster, Reisterstown, Cockeysville, Germantown,
Damascus, Lisbon, Jarrettsville, Aberdeen, Staunton, Waynesboro,
Stuarts Draft, Harrisonburg, Strasburg, Woodstock, Mount Jackson,
New Market, Winchester, Luray, Shenandoah, Stanley, Front Royal,
Berryville, Madison, Washington, Orange, Gordonsville, Culpeper,
Dale City, Manassas, Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Montclair, Falmouth,
Fredericksburg, Warrenton, Turnbull, Purcellville, Leesburg,
Ashburn, Sterling, Big Meadows, Wintergreen, Paw Paw,
Martinsburg, Charles Town, and Shepherdstown
119 PM EDT Thu Apr 16 2020

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM EDT
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Sub-freezing temperatures as low as 30 expected.

* WHERE...Portions of central and northern Maryland, central,
  northern, and western Virginia and eastern West Virginia.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 9 AM EDT Friday.

* IMPACTS...Frost and freeze conditions will damage sensitive
  crops, other sensitive vegetation and possibly damage
  unprotected outdoor plumbing.

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

i have learned the hard way, unless you can bring plants inside, dont go planting anything until mothers day

I normally don't until early May, but it literally looked and felt like we were in Spring by mid February. I planted some annuals just a week or so ago. I shall have to cover up a few of my "tender plants" I suppose.

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I normally don't until early May, but it literally looked and felt like we were in Spring by mid February. I planted some annuals just a week or so ago. I shall have to cover up a few of my "tender plants" I suppose.

we have some in pots, so i just keep bringing them in. i didnt even put them out today, they get enough sun near a window. poppies and daisies. kiddo cannot wait until they start sprouting so we can transplant them to other larger pots on the deck :)

skipping a veggie garden this year, wanted to do a butterfly garden but i think i'm too late to get that started. who knows.

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Usually here we get freezes up to end of April and frosts I can remember up to around May 15th sometimes 

yup, thats why i usually shoot for mothers day to get plants in the ground.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

we have some in pots, so i just keep bringing them in. i didnt even put them out today, they get enough sun near a window. poppies and daisies. kiddo cannot wait until they start sprouting so we can transplant them to other larger pots on the deck :)

skipping a veggie garden this year, wanted to do a butterfly garden but i think i'm too late to get that started. who knows.

I just bought plants yesterday for my deck, but didn't pot them yet so I can bring those in. The ones out in the yard I will just cover.

5 hours ago, mappy said:

i have learned the hard way, unless you can bring plants inside, dont go planting anything until mothers day

If you want an early spring plant that handles cold really well try potatoes. I've got 100 pounds of potatoes in the ground right now. They have been emerging for the past week. They'll do fine even with frost. If damaged the potato will shoot out new shoots. 

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Everybody along and east of i81 corridor gets a freeze warning tonight

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
908 PM EDT Thu Apr 16 2020

DCZ001-MDZ011-013-014-016>018-504-VAZ053-054-057-170915-
/O.EXA.KLWX.FZ.W.0003.200417T0400Z-200417T1300Z/
District of Columbia-Southern Baltimore-Prince Georges-
Anne Arundel-Charles-St. Marys-Calvert-
Central and Southeast Montgomery-Fairfax-
Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-King George-
Including the cities of Washington, Baltimore, Bowie,
Suitland-Silver Hill, Clinton, College Park, Greenbelt, Laurel,
Camp Springs, Glen Burnie, Annapolis, Severn, South Gate,
Severna Park, Arnold, Odenton, St. Charles, Waldorf,
Lexington Park, California, Chesapeake Beach, Huntingtown,
Dunkirk, North Beach, Lusby, Prince Frederick, Bethesda,
Rockville, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Reston, Herndon,
Annandale, Centreville, Chantilly, McLean, Franconia, Arlington,
Alexandria, Falls Church, and Dahlgren
908 PM EDT Thu Apr 16 2020

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EDT FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Sub-freezing temperatures as low as 30 degrees expected.

* WHERE...The Baltimore-Washington metropolitan corridor as well
  as southern Maryland and King George County Virginia

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 9 AM EDT Friday.

* IMPACTS...Frost and freeze conditions will kill crops, other
  sensitive vegetation and possibly damage unprotected outdoor
  plumbing.

7 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I just bought plants yesterday for my deck, but didn't pot them yet so I can bring those in. The ones out in the yard I will just cover.

That’s good. Glad you can cover them. 

2 hours ago, dailylurker said:

If you want an early spring plant that handles cold really well try potatoes. I've got 100 pounds of potatoes in the ground right now. They have been emerging for the past week. They'll do fine even with frost. If damaged the potato will shoot out new shoots. 

Oh that’s good! Glad you’ll get a nice haul

• H2O unpinned this topic