Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discobs 2020

George BM

• H2O pinned this topic

Some decent forecasted reflectivity structures in some of the CAMs for later this afternoon, especially in the HRRR and especially over northern VA.    Instability is meager, but freezing levels are low, and low-level lapse rates are good.      Would not be surprised to see a little small hail and perhaps even a lightning strike or two in the strongest cores.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, high risk said:

Some decent forecasted reflectivity structures in some of the CAMs for later this afternoon, especially in the HRRR and especially over northern VA.    Instability is meager, but freezing levels are low, and low-level lapse rates are good.      Would not be surprised to see a little small hail and perhaps even a lightning strike or two in the strongest cores.

We tend to do well on high lapse rate/shear days in these parts.

Chilly and blustery this morning with low to mid 40’s, but typical spring weather. Today was the day we were supposed to be leaving for the Netherlands and their tulips, and Belgium for their beer, but for now, this photo from the front yard and a St. Bernardus from the fridge will have to do.

image.jpeg.94efa421b459939e882834e7f51d5c15.jpeg

Maybe next year we can experience the real deal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Chilly and blustery this morning with low to mid 40’s, but typical spring weather. Today was the day we were supposed to be leaving for the Netherlands and their tulips, and Belgium for their beer, but for now, this photo from the front yard and a St. Bernardus from the fridge will have to do.

Sorry to hear about your trip.  If you've never been to Keukenhof it is a must stop on anyone's itinerary.  Never seen natural colors like that anywhere before or since.  Will never forget it.  Need to time it right to catch the blooms around their peek.  Hope you make it next year.

• Like 2

Morning AFD from LWX. It's not often you hear this mentioned.

The 12Z KIAD sounding has winds 35-40KTS in the boundary layer
this morning. The inversion busted rapidly by 13Z across the
region, with numerous wind gusts between 30-40MPH in the western
suburbs of the Balt/Wash Metro Areas. Winds will temper a bit
this afternoon as the pressure gradient aloft slackens. Inverted
V soundings approaching super adiabatic, along with gusty winds
and dry surface conditions, you might see a dust devil or two
in the Shenandoah Valley during the midday hours.

3 hours ago, RDM said:

Sorry to hear about your trip.  If you've never been to Keukenhof it is a must stop on anyone's itinerary.  Never seen natural colors like that anywhere before or since.  Will never forget it.  Need to time it right to catch the blooms around their peek.  Hope you make it next year.

Yep, that was one of our "must see" destinations, but we are already hoping to do the trip during the same week next year.  It works out well because it is also the same time as the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix bike races.  Fortunately, looking forward to and planning the trip is a lot of fun for me, so not going this year is no big deal, especially in light of how serious the situations are around the world.

8 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yep, that was one of our "must see" destinations, but we are already hoping to do the trip during the same week next year.  It works out well because it is also the same time as the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix bike races.  Fortunately, looking forward to and planning the trip is a lot of fun for me, so not going this year is no big deal, especially in light of how serious the situations are around the world.

Really hope it works out for you and your family.  The Dutch REALLY like Americans and they like to have a good time too.  They've not forgotten what we did for them in WW-II.  Had a number of experiences skiing in the Alps when Dutch would hear us Americans in the ski lines and would ask us if they could shake our hand and say thank you.  This was in the late 80's and some of the experiences were very emotional.

Bike touring around Holland is great.  If you have a chance to ride some over there, go for it.  During my first stint in Germany in the late 80's I spent a couple of weeks around Mastrict in the "mountains" of Holland taking day bike trips with a group of friends.  I'm an inline racer too and during my second sting in Fkt I spent one week every spring in Sardinia inline training with some of the Dutch long track Olympic ice speed skaters.  They train hard and are a lot of fun to be around.  

Always wanted to see one of the big bike races live.  Managed to do a century (100 miles) on my high-wheel in 1990 when I lived in Germany the first time (took my 1886 Columbia over with me).  Rode the century with a group of Wheelmen that came over for an antique bike rally in Lenk, Switzerland.  We had races on a Swiss AF runway.  I made it through quarter and semi final heats and gave it a shot in the finals.  3 laps on a 1.5km loop was a load of fun.  We had a guy from CA we tried to lead out for the final sprint to beat some SOB from GB (he was our version of Mark Cavendish).  When the guy from CA and the Brit passed me on the final straight peddling their high-wheels standing out of the seat at 35+ mph I knew I was in over my head.  Managed to get 4th, which I was very happy with.  The experience was priceless.  What part I remember anyway.  We drank ourselves under the table that night to celebrate.  

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Some rain moved through. Didn’t expect that. 

Looks like that meandering, perpetual coastal low will finally move east today. At least it weakened enough that the wind died down. It will probably still be mostly cloudy today. Tomorrow looks super nice.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:43 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

You likely already know this, but another place to keep in mind to see tulips is Ottawa.  During WWII Canada took members of the Dutch royal family and when Princess Juliana gave birth to a daughter while there the hospital room was declared Dutch territory.  As well, Canada played a significant role in the liberation of The Netherlands.  As a mark of gratitude Ottawa receives around 10,000 tulips every year and there is even a tulip festival held in May (this year, it's an online festival).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

You likely already know this, but another place to keep in mind to see tulips is Ottawa.  During WWII Canada took members of the Dutch royal family and when Princess Juliana gave birth to a daughter while there the hospital room was declared Dutch territory.  As well, Canada played a significant role in the liberation of The Netherlands.  As a mark of gratitude Ottawa receives around 10,000 tulips every year and there is even a tulip festival held in May (this year, it's an online festival).

I didn’t know this. Thanks for the info and I’ll do some research.

This weather sucks. Is it gonna be cold and cloudy every day, for the whole month? Probably not. But, this weather we're in right now is exactly that, and it sucks big time. it will warm up by the end of next week probably.

• Like 1

• H2O unpinned this topic