Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Banter 2020

George BM

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

Woah woah there... where else would you get your warnings from the second they are issued from LWX without me?  I c&p them in here within the minute they are issued so you don't have to go looking yourself.  Plus my model discussion and play by play... definitely would be missed.  I'm not accepting any trade from you the GM unless it's for a better severe weather round pick, and even then I might decline to take your call.

Looks like my cooking and baking skills are what is needed this year. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

Totally agreed but this is the deepest wide receiver class in ages. We can pick up a very good one in the second round. I wonder if we take a flyer on AB. That would be very high risk but very high reward. We have plenty of picks to get quality depth on the OL. I love where we stand. 

I am torn on that one. He is exactly the type of receiver they need, and I think he might be content(and behave) playing with his cousin and Lamar, but man he has baggage and can be very disruptive, and the Ravens don't need that when they are really close to where they want to be.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, yoda said:

Woah woah there... where else would you get your warnings from the second they are issued from LWX without me?  I c&p them in here within the minute they are issued so you don't have to go looking yourself.  Plus my model discussion and play by play... definitely would be missed.  I'm not accepting any trade from you the GM unless it's for a better severe weather round pick, and even then I might decline to take your call.

Hmmm, I see some tough free agency negotiations coming up!!

Gimli GIF - Find on GIFER

• Haha 1

Just finished reading the banter generated since yesterday.  Wow...  This is not directed towards anyone, nor any group on "either side of the aisle" - just an observation from a long time lurker, occasional contributor and voracious reader going back to the days of Eastern...   

The intolerance generated on both sides of the liberal/conservative debate is saddening.  I wish there was some way for us to assume a little more noble intent and extend more tolerance to each other regardless of which side of the aisle we're entrenched. (a LOT more noble intent would go a very long way).  In the days of Eastern and early days here it wasn't nearly so edgy, ever.  

On matters of opinion, everyone has the inherent option to share one's views - at least we do here in the USA.  Doing so should be presented with respect and consideration that others may not share in the same view; and that it's ok to disagree.  Again; it is ok to disagree, at least it should be, provided it is exercised respectfully on both sides.  Any conversation without mutual respect is hardly a conversation worth having.  

We must be able to disagree if we ever have the chance to learn from one another.  If everyone else were to think the same way any of think as individuals, what a sad state we'd be in.  As I used to tell my subordinates, none of us ever learn anything when we're talking.  Likewise, a key characteristic of a great leader is those who can actively seek out and respect opinions from others who think differently in order to obtain the best vantage point from which to make an informed decision.

We live in the greatest country this world has every known.  Most of us don't fully appreciate the freedoms living in the USA provides us; and take the same for granted.  Unless you've lived in another country for extended periods of time where the same freedoms are only dreams; it's just not possible to comprehend how great we have it here.  I've had the honor of serving our country in multiple other  countries for extended periods throughout in my 35+ year career.  This included traveling to countless different countries and remote  destinations where many facets of our freedoms are not only a pipe dream, but exercising anything remotely resembling our level of freedom will get you incarcerated or worse.   

One of the things my wife and I were recently discussing is the heightened level of intolerance in the USA that's grown in recent years.  We are and will remain hopeful the potential existed for the current situation with COVID to serve as unifying force for our country.  COVID represents one of the greatest challenges in modern history for the USA and for the world.  We must find the courage to put differences aside and muster the best possible response and it starts with respectful dialogue and debate.  Without the underlying premise of respect; it's difficult to build anything constructive.  

The eternal optimist in me has not dulled the hope the potential is still there to rise above whatever may divide us to bring ourselves more together; not apart.  Somehow, I hope we're able to exercise the same unifying potential here in this forum to look ahead, be a little more tolerant of one another and extend the noble intent everyone deserves.

Sincerely to all. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, RDM said:

Just finished reading the banter generated since yesterday.  Wow...  This is not directed towards anyone, nor any group on "either side of the aisle" - just an observation from a long time lurker, occasional contributor and voracious reader going back to the days of Eastern...   

The intolerance generated on both sides of the liberal/conservative debate is saddening.  I wish there was some way for us to assume a little more noble intent and extend more tolerance to each other regardless of which side of the aisle we're entrenched. (a LOT more noble intent would go a very long way).  In the days of Eastern and early days here it wasn't nearly so edgy, ever.  

On matters of opinion, everyone has the inherent option to share one's views - at least we do here in the USA.  Doing so should be presented with respect and consideration that others may not share in the same view; and that it's ok to disagree.  Again; it is ok to disagree, at least it should be, provided it is exercised respectfully on both sides.  Any conversation without mutual respect is hardly a conversation worth having.  

We must be able to disagree if we ever have the chance to learn from one another.  If everyone else were to think the same way any of think as individuals, what a sad state we'd be in.  As I used to tell my subordinates, none of us ever learn anything when we're talking.  Likewise, a key characteristic of a great leader is those who can actively seek out and respect opinions from others who think differently in order to obtain the best vantage point from which to make an informed decision.

We live in the greatest country this world has every known.  Most of us don't fully appreciate the freedoms living in the USA provides us; and take the same for granted.  Unless you've lived in another country for extended periods of time where the same freedoms are only dreams; it's just not possible to comprehend how great we have it here.  I've had the honor of serving our country in multiple other  countries for extended periods throughout in my 35+ year career.  This included traveling to countless different countries and remote  destinations where many facets of our freedoms are not only a pipe dream, but exercising anything remotely resembling our level of freedom will get you incarcerated or worse.   

One of the things my wife and I were recently discussing is the heightened level of intolerance in the USA that's grown in recent years.  We are and will remain hopeful the potential existed for the current situation with COVID to serve as unifying force for our country.  COVID represents one of the greatest challenges in modern history for the USA and for the world.  We must find the courage to put differences aside and muster the best possible response and it starts with respectful dialogue and debate.  Without the underlying premise of respect; it's difficult to build anything constructive.  

The eternal optimist in me has not dulled the hope the potential is still there to rise above whatever may divide us to bring ourselves more together; not apart.  Somehow, I hope we're able to exercise the same unifying potential here in this forum to look ahead, be a little more tolerant of one another and extend the noble intent everyone deserves.

Sincerely to all. 

Good post.

Did you happen to see Gov Cuomo's presser today? He echoed a lot of the same things you have articulated here.

Here is a crazy idea. Cam Newton to the Ravens, after trading RG3 back to the Redskins(lol).

Be a hell of a backup if he is indeed healthy, and given the difficulty with team doctors being able to examine and clear players with injury issues due to COVID, it might not be in the cards for him to get a starting job this year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Here is a crazy idea. Cam Newton to the Ravens, after trading RG3 back to the Redskins(lol).

Be a hell of a backup if he is indeed healthy, and given the difficulty with team doctors being able to examine and clear players with injury issues due to COVID, it might not be in the cards for him to get a starting job this year.

Come on, man. I love seeing the Ravens do well, but I’m a DC boy. What are you trying to do to us?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Come on, man. I love seeing the Ravens do well, but I’m a DC boy. What are you trying to do to us?

Someone would happily take RG3, if the Ravens were to try to upgrade the backup QB position. I don't think there is much of a chance it happens. Cam will wait it out until training camp or beyond, and if no team is willing to give him the opportunity to be a starter, then he may settle for a backup role- probably not with the Ravens.

17 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Someone would happily take RG3, if the Ravens were to try to upgrade the backup QB position. I don't think there is much of a chance it happens. Cam will wait it out until training camp or beyond, and if no team is willing to give him the opportunity to be a starter, then he may settle for a backup role- probably not with the Ravens.

I was a little surprised Rivera didn’t show interest in Cam.

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

I was a little surprised Rivera didn’t show interest in Cam.

That may be telling.

No idea how accurate it is, but his leadership has been questioned, and some describe him as arrogant, and having a fragile ego. Too much is usually made of this stuff though imo.

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Sincerely to all. 

Back in the days of old it would of been a blood bath and whoever survives rules the Earth indefinitely going forward. I suspect we may be going there ...again regrettably.

The liberal classes are kind of an artifact of civilization. It's always been the case.

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Sincerely to all. 

@RDM...thanks for this, overall I agree with your sentiment, though not all that you say.  That's fine, as you say here one is free to disagree but at least politely.  And I must respect you as a fellow native Ohioan!!:D  I do find the divisiveness in general in this country to be harmful and depressing, and I'm sure most anyone would feel the same.  As I've said in other comments in the past, my views definitely lean solidly left, and always have.  Without getting too much into the weeds here, I'll say that I never cared for "both-siderism", thus letting one group off the hook by saying another one "does the same thing".  With that in mind, I'll state it is my belief that the divisiveness is heavily weighted on one side these days.  The current administration is a perfect example of this, and it is not only divisive, but actively promotes and incites such.  I know that wades into being very political, but it's also simple fact.  There was a very good Washington Post article some years back by Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein (not exactly flaming liberals) that went into this problem in some detail.

Though my views are more liberal, I have always felt that, give me a conservative party (call it Republican, call it Whig, or whatever) that remains grounded in fact, does not deny science, does not constantly fight the culture wars, and does not view their political opponents as illegitimate.  I may still disagree with most of their policy, but at least it would be possible to have a discussion and even come to some kind of middle ground and mutual respect.  When it's simply impossible to hold a logical, intelligent discussion because they cannot even respect you, that's a real problem for me.  I feel, unfortunately, that that's where the current "conservative" party is today.  Heck, my older brother is more conservative than I am.  We talk a lot, and we argue at times, sure...but he's also reasonable and not an ideologue.  We agree on a fair number of things, though to varying degrees.  And what we don't agree on, we still respect that.  Likewise, there are some liberal friends where I just cannot go with some of what they think, or they may be too "purist" in their views, refusing to see that compromise is part of how stuff gets done...and that there are reasonable conservatives out there.

Part of the problem may be that in this country, we have two parties and that's it (yes, there are 3rd party candidates, but other than on a local or state level at most, they don't go anywhere).  We don't have anything like a parliamentary system as they have in Great Britain or elsewhere.  So when you are presented with candidates, they are realistically one party or the other...that's your only choice if you want a chance to get one or the other into office.  There's no "coalition" type of government in the legislature, really.  I'm not by any means saying that going to such a system is a panacea or will cure all our political ills, but just an observation.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

@snowfan is really going to hate the banter thread today and all the wordy posts lol

I'm not wordy!  I say exactly what I mean in exactly the number of words I intend to use! :lol:

Maybe a few more than necessary.

But hey, when the pen flows (or keyboard), what are you going to do?

Shall I continue...?

Nahhh!:D

• Haha 1

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

I'm not wordy!  I say exactly what I mean in exactly the number of words I intend to use! :lol:

Maybe a few more than necessary.

But hey, when the pen flows (or keyboard), what are you going to do?

Shall I continue...?

Nahhh!:D

Never change 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Beanie girl is ready for the draft! Jersey check!, purple painted nails check!, let’s go! Make a good pick Ravens! (Assuming they don’t trade back).

They will do that if one of about 4 players aren't there at 28. Also a decent chance they trade up to get one of them.

• Like 1

• H2O unpinned this topic