Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Banter 2020

George BM

Just now, ravensrule said:

I'm always friendly, apparently you don't know me very well. 

our definitions of friendly are vastly different. i wouldn't tell you you're running a place (lol) like north korea. its cute, ill give you that, but anything but friendly. 

if you want to have a friendly discussion, i am open for it. you should try a different approach however

Just now, mappy said:

our definitions of friendly are vastly different. i wouldn't tell you you're running a place (lol) like north korea. its cute, ill give you that, but anything but friendly. 

if you want to have a friendly discussion, i am open for it. you should try a different approach however

I hear you. I will work on that. 

7 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

I hear you. I will work on that. 

Did you see Lamar's new tat? I am not a big fan of tattoos over large areas of the body, and his in particular is, eh, kinda gaudy looking. To each their own though. Hope he is happy with it later in life lol.

9 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Did you see Lamar's new tat? I am not a big fan of tattoos over large areas of the body, and his in particular is, eh, kinda gaudy looking. To each their own though. Hope he is happy with it later in life lol.

Ugh.  I'm afraid to search for it.

eta:  Not a tattoo person myself, but good for him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Is that readily available everywhere ? I'd like to try it .

A lot of liquor stores that carry good craft beer stock should possibly have it. Wicked weed is a pretty big craft brand. I’m sure you can search the website for who may carry it 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

OMG, the most hideous tattoo ever. I can't believe his advisers let him get it. It definitely won't help his marketing. 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 5:22 PM, RDM said:

Where did you grow up?  I grew up just North of Dayton.  A little town of about 5000 people a couple miles from where Ohio really flattens out all the way to the border with MI.  Can relate to your optic about that picture looking like NW Ohio.  As outlined in the picture, it is really flat up that way.  

Maumee just South of Toledo. Flat flat flat. But black top soil in the fields 6’ deep! 

On 4/13/2020 at 9:03 PM, nj2va said:

Finally starting Tiger King (on episode 2 tonight).  What an insanely bizarre doc so far.

We just finished episode 5. It was a doozy. Actually taking a few days break as it has gotten really dark and not just bat shit crazy. Pace yourself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Indeed - flat as Kansas and nary a thing to stop the wind up there.  I miss Ohio, left in 85.  It's a good place to be from.  

I left in 97. Husband, who was boyfriend at the time, and had just taken a job here and asked me to move with him. Had graduated from BGSU and wanted something different so said yes. 

Still have one brother that lives in Toledo. Rest of the family is spread out down south. 

• Like 2

@RDM and @Mrs.J...good to know a couple of other fellow native Ohioans!!  I grew up in northeast Ohio, on the east/southeast side of Cleveland.  This was through the 1970s and 1980s.  I also of course would visit during breaks from college.  Much of my family since the mid 1990s has moved out for various reasons (myself included), though I still have a brother and sister in law living south of Cleveland (in Medina County).  I still go back now when I can, a couple or three times a year, and it's always nice to visit!  And not that bad a drive from the DC metro area.  Of course, it sometimes helps when there are Indians' or Cavs' tickets involved for a game...or more recently, to see the comedian Jim Gaffigan! :D 

I miss it too...especially the winters.  I don't mind heading up there when most would consider it the "worst time of year" to be in northeast Ohio!  I still consider the area to be home.

@RDM, we've talked a few times about the Ohio Blizzard of 1978  (Jan. 26-27, 1978), and our memories of that.  @Mrs.J, were you in Ohio at that time, too?  As I've said before, that's still the landmark winter storm of my lifetime.  It has been referred to as the "White Hurricane" for good reason.

41 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

@RDM and @Mrs.J...good to know a couple of other fellow native Ohioans!!  I grew up in northeast Ohio, on the east/southeast side of Cleveland.  This was through the 1970s and 1980s.  I also of course would visit during breaks from college.  Much of my family since the mid 1990s has moved out for various reasons (myself included), though I still have a brother and sister in law living south of Cleveland (in Medina County).  I still go back now when I can, a couple or three times a year, and it's always nice to visit!  And not that bad a drive from the DC metro area.  Of course, it sometimes helps when there are Indians' or Cavs' tickets involved for a game...or more recently, to see the comedian Jim Gaffigan! :D 

I miss it too...especially the winters.  I don't mind heading up there when most would consider it the "worst time of year" to be in northeast Ohio!  I still consider the area to be home.

@RDM, we've talked a few times about the Ohio Blizzard of 1978  (Jan. 26-27, 1978), and our memories of that.  @Mrs.J, were you in Ohio at that time, too?  As I've said before, that's still the landmark winter storm of my lifetime.  It has been referred to as the "White Hurricane" for good reason.

@Zugzwang yes I was born in 1973 so was there for the Blizzard of 78. Fondest memory is our local IGA grocery store the owner got in and opened up. My mom and us kids took our sleads and walked up to the store, got some food and walked back. Also my older brothers jumped off the roof of the front porch into the drifts. My sister and I were able to walk over our neighbors fence because the drifts were so high. Fun times! Made snow tunnels, looking back at it we were pretty stupid as they could have collapsed while in there. 

After moving to MD and seeing just how bad people drive in the snow, my girls will be made to go out and drive in it. I remember we would get around in 4" with the cars and everyone was able to get where they needed to go. Snow just got packed down on the roads. Hated the slush though!

And summers at Cedar Point!! Man miss those. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

@Zugzwang yes I was born in 1973 so was there for the Blizzard of 78. Fondest memory is our local IGA grocery store the owner got in and opened up. My mom and us kids took our sleads and walked up to the store, got some food and walked back. Also my older brothers jumped off the roof of the front porch into the drifts. My sister and I were able to walk over our neighbors fence because the drifts were so high. Fun times! Made snow tunnels, looking back at it we were pretty stupid as they could have collapsed while in there. 

After moving to MD and seeing just how bad people drive in the snow, my girls will be made to go out and drive in it. I remember we would get around in 4" with the cars and everyone was able to get where they needed to go. Snow just got packed down on the roads. Hated the slush though!

Those are some good memories, and similar to mine in fact!  I recall going sledding with several people on this golf course, hopping the fence to get there, at night!

Ahhhh, Cedar Point...the roller-coaster heaven!!  I went there a few times.  Did the old "Gemini" coaster, where 2 of them sort of "race" each other...it was easy to get right back on, because the lines went fast (with 2 roller coasters).  I vaguely recall doing the double-loop or corkscrew ride they had once...only once!  Closed my eyes through the part where you go upside down, haha!  I never could get myself to do the demon drop (I think that's what it was called?), where it would drop you straight down from whatever ridiculous height!

(ETA... Now I may be mixing up some of those rides with the old Geauga Lake amusement park, but you get the idea! :)

4 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Those are some good memories, and similar to mine in fact!  I recall going sledding with several people on this golf course, hopping the fence to get there, at night!

Ahhhh, Cedar Point...the roller-coaster heaven!!  I went there a few times.  Did the old "Gemini" coaster, where 2 of them sort of "race" each other...it was easy to get right back on, because the lines went fast (with 2 roller coasters).  I vaguely recall doing the double-loop or corkscrew ride they had once...only once!  Closed my eyes through the part where you go upside down, haha!  I never could get myself to do the demon drop (I think that's what it was called?), where it would drop you straight down from whatever ridiculous height!

Yep the Gemini was the racing coaster. We would always hit that one just before the park closed. Because yep you could ride it and run down and get on it again. Got crazy at night too as they did not care if you stuck your hands out to high five the other trains passengers going up the first hill. My first coaster was the Corkscrew. Loved it! Cannot do them anymore. Went back one summer to take our girls and about lost my lunch on the Mantis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowfan said:

Who is the 40west character?

I’m pretty sure it’s PD3. I broke his account a while back (lol). Randy fixed it yesterday, but I had told him to make a new account. If it’s not him, then I don’t know 

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Anyone watching Westworld?

It's like a completely different show this season, but I am living for it. :o

Omg I meant to post over at pr about it. Dude...it’s great.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Zugzwang (great to hear from you again) and Mrs. J - thanks for more memories of the great one of 78.  It was a truly epic event!  Was 16 at the time and will never forget the roar outside when I woke up about 6am that morning as the winds gusted over 70mph.  Doubt we ever see anything like that again.  Things got dire when the shelves in the IGA in our little town went bare because they couldn't get food shipments in.  The snowblowers from Wright Patterson AFB opened up the roads again after a week so we could get into and out of town.   

Mrs. J - Loved Cedar Point - The roller coaster capital of the world!

Hats off wrt teaching your girls how to drive in the snow.  When our daughter got her permit 7 years ago I took her to the business parks along the Dulles Toll Road for family driver's ed.  Great place to practice on weekends because there's nobody there and lots of wide open empty parking lots.

After she got the basics down we turned off the ABS and practiced skid recovery in the rain/wet and then again in the snow.  I taught her some reverse J turns just in case she ever needs to get out of a jam (and some other maneuvers I won't mention here).  We practiced stalled engine coasting and neutral restarts (get the feeling what it's like to lose power steering and brakes while moving) and braking using only the emergency brake - things they don't train in Drivers Ed anymore (darn it).  Also taught her how to parallel park!  She still doesn't know how to drive a stick because it's hard to find one these days and there's no 63 International Rambers around with 3 on the tree to learn in.  haha  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RDM said:

Zugzwang (great to hear from you again) and Mrs. J - thanks for more memories of the great one of 78.  It was a truly epic event!  Was 16 at the time and will never forget the roar outside when I woke up about 6am that morning as the winds gusted over 70mph.  Doubt we ever see anything like that again.  Things got dire when the shelves in the IGA in our little town went bare because they couldn't get food shipments in.  The snowblowers from Wright Patterson AFB opened up the roads again after a week so we could get into and out of town.   

Mrs. J - Loved Cedar Point - The roller coaster capital of the world!

Hats off wrt teaching your girls how to drive in the snow.  When our daughter got her permit 7 years ago I took her to the business parks along the Dulles Toll Road for family driver's ed.  Great place to practice on weekends because there's nobody there and lots of wide open empty parking lots.

After she got the basics down we turned off the ABS and practiced skid recovery in the rain/wet and then again in the snow.  I taught her some reverse J turns just in case she ever needs to get out of a jam (and some other maneuvers I won't mention here).  We practiced stalled engine coasting and neutral restarts (get the feeling what it's like to lose power steering and brakes while moving) and braking using only the emergency brake - things they don't train in Drivers Ed anymore (darn it).  Also taught her how to parallel park!  She still doesn't know how to drive a stick because it's hard to find one these days and there's no 63 International Rambers around with 3 on the tree to learn in.  haha  

Cedar Point is the roller coaster capital of the world and anyone who says otherwise is just Wrong!! :thumbsup:

Will be remembering the things you said you taught your daughter as we are doing practice currently. We use the Frederick Keys back parking lot. Only two light poles in the middle and grass on all 4 sides. And yep donuts in a snowy parking lot... And she will be taught how to parallel park. Downtown Frederick has enough street parking that I feel it is necessary. Maneuverability testing in my opinion does not go far enough. She will learn stick also as my husband has a MX5. 

Some of y'all met me when I looked like I did on the left, I am now the person on the right. There lol now when we meet up again at some point it won't shock y'all as much.

GdAMTfX.png

Its so funny because this all happened because I replied to Mappy with a <3 in the Covid thread, she then realized I wasn't a guy, then a bunch of people got really confused who had met me before.

I should have made some sort of an announcement here but anyways. There. Trans weather nerd data extraordinaire at your service. 

• Like 15

• H2O unpinned this topic