Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter 2020

George BM

30 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Man they better fix that thing...any updates to it coming this year? Certainly the cold bias isn't unfixable...uh, right? Lol

I don’t know. I’d assume they are working on it. In this case maybe it’s not completely crazy. The eps is hinting at an outside shot at some flakes too. It’s one of the coldest April scenarios I’ve ever seen. Even such it would take supreme luck. Even for my area. 

On 4/7/2020 at 11:00 AM, showmethesnow said:

Actually, I have stocked up sufficiently with non-perishable foods where we can ride this out for up to 2 months as well as stocking up and freezing a couple weeks worth of fresh meat. But I did leave the option open for going to the grocery story depending on what we were seeing. Still very hesitant about going to the store but I am probably going to make a compromise later this week of ordering online and having the groceries (fresh foods) delivered. I have a system in place where I was quarantining items bought before our lock-down. Basically everything gets put into the garage where I give it 72 hours before I bring it into the house. Have a full sized fridge there so I could put fresh in. I am hearing some good things about Aldi's and their deliveries so I will probably place an order later this week. https://www.instacart.com/aldi After all there is only so much canned meat (spam, tuna, chicken, Vienna sausages, etc...) one wants to exist on.

That plan worked for us for a few weeks but it’s become impossible to get a grocery delivery slot anymore.  

7 hours ago, jaydreb said:

That plan worked for us for a few weeks but it’s become impossible to get a grocery delivery slot anymore.  

Actually just ordered from Aldi's yesterday. Ended up with a Sat. time slot as that was the soonest they had. Which is fine because the only thing we will run out of before then is Milk. Bought plenty of cheese as well as some canned milk products so we really could have foregone milk if we had had to. 

7 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Don't forget sardines :lmao: . Remember those.  My parents fed us those everyday for years .

That and Steak..ums

Love sardines but let's just say my wife is not a big fan. If that would have been one of my go to for proteins she would have been on-line filling out one of those DIY divorce papers lickity split. Actually like my marriage so I did the prudent thing.

6 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

And cheap lol. My parents where hoarders of em. Monday,  Wednesday, Fri was steak umms and velveeta cheese macaroni :lol:

One of my favorites was Velveeta grilled cheese sandwiches. Talk about messy.  And for what ever reason it was always served with Campbell's tomato soup. 

6 hours ago, mappy said:

I def have a box of steak ums in the freezer. They are greasy and gross yet somehow perfect, just as I remembered them growing up. 

It was one of out meats in our meat group (Pork, Ground Beef, Chicken, Steak-ums). Never knew there was such a thing as Steak until I got older.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looks like mid 40s tomorrow here followed by a solid freeze Friday night.  

Not sure about it reaching freeze criteria, with decent winds continuing. Not likely to be any frost either. Low to mid 30s looks legit for areas away from the urban sprawl.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Not sure about it reaching freeze criteria, with decent winds continuing. Not likely to be any frost either. Low to mid 30s looks legit for areas away from the urban sprawl.

Afternooon AFD from LWX mentioned that winds will die down and advisories/warnings were possible

The gradient winds will continue to weaken Friday evening and
into Saturday as the surface low continues to lift northeastward
away from our region. As winds become light and cooler air
moves into our region, we may need to issue some frost/freeze
headlines for portions of our forecast area Friday night into
Saturday morning.

Just now, yoda said:

Afternooon AFD from LWX mentioned that winds will die down and advisories/warnings were possible

It's possible if winds die down. Right now forecasts are for winds to be in the 15 mph range with gusts to 25. Without the mixing, temps could certainly get into the 28-32 range in some outlying areas.

3 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It's possible if winds die down. Right now forecasts are for winds to be in the 15 mph range with gusts to 25. Without the mixing, temps could certainly get into the 28-32 range in some outlying areas.

And there are the Freeze watches issued by LWX... quite a lot of counties... most are from the BR and west

9 hours ago, yoda said:

And there are the Freeze watches issued by LWX... quite a lot of counties... most are from the BR and west

I can understand putting a freeze watch in effect given the growing season has begun. I don't think the majority of the region(east of the mountains) will have much of a problem given the winds though. Temps of 32-35 with no frost won't be an issue. If the winds should go light for a time early Sat morning, then that obviously changes.

Given the extended period of higher winds and low dew points, you would think there would be some fire weather concerns.

8 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Dang...so is this saying that the polar vortex was so strongly consolidated that it burned a hole in the ozone layer? Lolol

https://www.sciencealert.com/there-s-a-new-hole-in-the-ozone-layer-over-the-arctic

This isn't a unique event. Read up on the ozone hole over the antarctic in the 70's. Pretty much the same thing played out there as well. As in that case we will more then likely see an replenishment of the ozone levels here in the next few years as well. 

2 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Yes but what kind of numbers should we look for? 

This is their version of the 'final solution'. I don't think social isolation will counter something of this magnitude. You'll need a very advanced vaccine program.

Sad but true. We were already on a terrible path.

15 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

We don't necessarily need a vaccine. Plenty of work being done on meds to lessen symptoms. Vaccine could be years away.

Has anyone else read about a specific vaccine given in some countries at birth that have some weird coincidences with lack of transmissions in those places? I’ve heard some studies are underway to see if there already isn’t a vaccine out there, or at least one that reduces transmissions considerably.

57 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Has anyone else read about a specific vaccine given in some countries at birth that have some weird coincidences with lack of transmissions in those places? I’ve heard some studies are underway to see if there already isn’t a vaccine out there, or at least one that reduces transmissions considerably.

Guessing maybe it might deal with those that have had SAR's vaccines. Same family of Corona Virus as the cornavirus so it very well may help to produce a partial immunity for a population. Just a guess though. Probably other vaccines out their for other varieties of Corona Virus as well that may do this as well.

• H2O unpinned this topic