Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

18 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Sounds like the best winter ever in my books. I love action and that is consistent action to say the least.

I used to care a lot about having snow on the ground, but not so much anymore.  Two exceptions are December/holidays and the other is if the depth gets large... say near or over 2 feet.  That is kind of interesting to see.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

2007-08 was a prolific snow year in southeast Michigan but we were never able to build-up a snowpack due to those thaws. The battle ground that hoosier spoke of.  Season snow fall finished it 71.7" for Detroit, 78.2" here, and near 100" in parts of the northern suburbs. Yet snowpack never exceeded a foot at any time.

I agree. It was the same up here as well. Expect for Feb 08, we didn't really retain much snow-cover. But man did it ever snow. I'll never forget the Dec 07 and March 08 winter storms. Dec 07 dropped 12-14" across the area and the March 08 dropped 15-18" across the area. I think that's one storm the Ohio Valley will never forget. 08-09 was also another great winter. Two back to back awesome winters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

I agree. It was the same up here as well. Expect for Feb 08, we didn't really retain much snow-cover. But man did it ever snow. I'll never forget the Dec 07 and March 08 winter storms. Dec 07 dropped 12-14" across the area and the March 08 dropped 15-18" across the area. I think that's one storm the Ohio Valley will never forget. 08-09 was also another great winter. Two back to back awesome winters.

2007-08 thru 2014-15 was an epic stretch overall, despite the one very bad apple of 2011-12.

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

You are correct, we will never forget March 2008. I think I had about 22 inches from that bad boy. No school for 3 days!

• Like 3

One of the things I really hated about TWN forecast and conditions page that was redesigned a few years ago (every iteration gets worse) was this idiotic "headline" that would be just to the right of the current temperature...hard to ignore. Today is one for the ages as it states, "Get set for the COLDEST DAY in months, some may not even get up to 20C. When the warmth returns, HERE."

Most spots in SON have had highs under 20C in the last 10 days and not just a couple of days, but like 5 or more. It should be "nearly everywhere may not get to 20C" or what I think was intended "some may not even get up to 15C" which is my point (14C for a high IMBY).

BTW I'm sitting at 12C and its nearly 2pm, this is easily the crappiest day of the summer and has the stench of 2014 on it.

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2020 at 12:07 PM, madwx said:

It's crazy how much wetter the 30 year climate means will be when the data set changes from 1981-2010 to 1991-2020

For MSN

Jan 1.23" -> 1.46"

Feb 1.45" -> 1.52"

Mar 2.19" -> 2.26"

Apr 3.40" -> 3.78"

May 3.55" -> 4.10"

Jun 4.54" -> 5.27"

Jul 4.18" -> 4.51" 

Aug 4.26" -> 4.16"

Sep 3.13" -> 3.38" (at least)

Oct 2.40" -> 2.73" (estimated)

Nov 2.39" -> 2.21" (estimated)

Dec 1.75" -> 1.71" (estimated)

Annual 34.46" -> 37.02" (estimated)

Only December and November have seen slight decreases in precip and some months (Apr - Jun, Sep - Oct) have seen significant increases in precip.

Updated the above graph through the summer.  August surprising trending drier but that April through July stretch is getting so wet.  Annual precip going up at least 2.5" as well.   We do wet very well around here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

A lot of obs in the Pacific NW with smoke, due to the wildfires.  Air Quality warnings over almost the entire NW.  Here is Spokane WA, 1 mile visibility:

METAR KGEG 151953Z 00000KT 1SM R21/6000VP6000FT FU SCT001 OVC025 22/07 A3018 RMK AO2 SLP212 FU SCT001 FU OVC025 T02170072

You have to wonder how some of these codes came to be.  :lol:  Why is smoke FU?  A cringeworthy one in the past was when ice pellets was PE, because you would get RAPE in the METAR when it was a mix of rain and ice pellets.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

You have to wonder how some of these codes came to be.  :lol:  Why is smoke FU?  A cringeworthy one in the past was when ice pellets was PE, because you would get RAPE in the METAR when it was a mix of rain and ice pellets.

Gotta love wikipedia :snowman:

Obscuration FU Smoke (French: Fumée)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/METAR

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

We'll always have August 10th lol

the 2020 severe season started and ended in 45 minutes. 

4/7 was okay locally, and 5/23 was fair. But the census for this season yields 2 mediocre severe events, and one exceptional one. I'd honestly trade the derecho for more/better tornado days than we had this year.

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, hlcater said:

the 2020 severe season started and ended in 45 minutes. 

4/7 was okay locally, and 5/23 was fair. But the census for this season yields 2 mediocre severe events, and one exceptional one. I'd honestly trade the derecho for more/better tornado days than we had this year.

We could've dominated a massive day on 3/28 if we ended up having the forecast moisture. So close yet so far.

5/23 was decent, but definitely could've been better. Would've been nice if the NW IL tors fully condensed.

Need a Pella repeat followed by Traer the next day...with a few Rochelle and Roanoke events in IL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

We could've dominated a massive day on 3/28 if we ended up having the forecast moisture. So close yet so far.

5/23 was decent, but definitely could've been better. Would've been nice if the NW IL tors fully condensed.

Need a Pella repeat followed by Traer the next day...with a few Rochelle and Roanoke events in IL.

lives were SAVED on 3/28

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to check back in on this site someday and see something other than the covid thread be the hottest topic.  Combination of boring weather and that being the popular thing to talk about on what's supposed to be a weather enthusiast discussion site is very f'g depressing to say the least.  Seeing that topic at the top of the list every time I check in is getting old, and kind of makes me not want to check in much anymore...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Can't wait to check back in on this site someday and see something other than the covid thread be the hottest topic.  Combination of boring weather and that being the popular thing to talk about on what's supposed to be a weather enthusiast discussion site is very f'g depressing to say the least.  Seeing that topic at the top of the list every time I check in is getting old, and kind of makes me not want to check in much anymore...

Apart of this forum, Covid has been the topic of discussion for the last 9 months and quite frankly, I am tired of hearing about it. It's affecting everyone mentally and depression rates are skyrocketing now. I mean sure you might hear on the news "Derecho rips through Iowa" or "Hurricane Laura slams Louisiana" but within a few days its back to Covid again. Don't get me wrong I’m in no way downplaying the severity of the virus or its impact on the entire world. I'm just hoping we collectively as a society can move past this towards better days in the future, whether it be next year or the following year and hopefully find a cure. 

Edit: Here's something to cheer everyone up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

I hear you. I am in a "mid-summer" like schedule of checking in every few days, only to find 1-2 posts in a couple weather related threads and so many in the COVID thread you could not possibly keep up. 

Its been a long time since I have seen the "go to work and come home to 12 unread pages" of storm talk. Hopefully we have an active winter. 

• Like 2

The covid thread should have been in OT from the beginning.  It's changed the vibe in here.  The nastiness in that thread can't help but bleed over into the weather side for me.  Hard to look at some posters the same anymore.  Maybe some people feel that way about me too.  The thread was a mistake... the bias in moderating is laughable. You know who you are.

I can get weather and covid info other places much easier and faster than a dinosaur discussion board.  What's kept me here for 16 years is talking and sharing weather with a bunch of great guys that share the same interest as me, and that lure has faded for sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

30 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

The covid thread should have been in OT from the beginning.  It's changed the vibe in here.  The nastiness in that thread can't help but bleed over into the weather side for me.  Hard to look at some posters the same anymore.  Maybe some people feel that way about me too.  The thread was a mistake... the bias in moderating is laughable. You know who you are.

I can get weather and covid info other places much easier and faster than a dinosaur discussion board.  What's kept me here for 16 years is talking and sharing weather with a bunch of great guys that share the same interest as me, and that lure has faded for sure.

What nastiness? and Hoosier has actually been pretty fair in that thread so saying he is biased is quite amusing. You can ask him yourself, but he knows I'm not his number 1 fan but in this case the job has been done fairly to keep most politics out of that thread.

Lets be honest here though, no one is forcing people to read that thread. It is an important piece of history ongoing right now as well and unlike other subforums that thread has been kept  civilized for the most part.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Ok, let me respond.

This subforum has one of the last remaining covid threads on this board.  Other subs used to have virus threads but did away with them.  The result is that there is still covid talk from time to time in their banter threads.  The rationale for leaving the covid thread up here is that it is a clearly designated place to talk about the virus at large and also a place for members to share any experiences about themselves/family members/friends.  The thread has had issues at times, and I get that it's not moderated to everybody's liking.  

We are in a dull weather period right now with not much to talk about.  I am looking forward to more active weather and hopefully an exciting winter.      

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Ok, let me respond.

This subforum has one of the last remaining covid threads on this board.  Other subs used to have virus threads but did away with them.  The result is that there is still covid talk from time to time in their banter threads.  The rationale for leaving the covid thread up here is that it is a clearly designated place to talk about the virus at large and also a place for members to share any experiences about themselves/family members/friends.  The thread has had issues at times, and I get that it's not moderated to everybody's liking.  

We are in a dull weather period right now with not much to talk about.  I am looking forward to more active weather and hopefully an exciting winter.      

Upstate has one as well, it's been pretty civil even with conflicting viewpoints. I think you've done a good job policing it. We don't even have a mod over there. 

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Ok, let me respond.

I'm all for deleting that thread. no one is changing anyone's mind amd it just causes bickering.

• Like 1

I'm all for deleting that thread. no one is changing anyone's mind amd it just causes bickering.

no one said you or anyone else has to enter said thread.

• Like 3