Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

3 hours ago, frostfern said:

Illinois has always had more general summer convective rainfall than Michigan and it's a sharp gradient right near southern Lake Michigan.  I think maybe the gradient has shifted a little from being more NW-SE oriented to NNW-SSE oriented.  For instance, northern Wisconsin may be getting more thunderstorm days while NE Ohio / SE Michigan / SE Ontario are getting less.  I wish I could look at the data to confirm this though.  It just the mid-summer pattern though.  Increased stratiform precip in every other seasons has caused a general increase in precipitation overall.  Also, infrequent but very heavy rain events associated with tropical moisture may be becoming more common and this can easily cancel any drying trend due to decrease in continental ridge-rider type MCS activity.

I beg to differ on NE Ohio getting less.  Columbus can’t get a direct hit with a storm even if it paid Mother Nature.  The rest of Ohio does well.  Columbus needs it’s own NWS, ILN is constantly talking about storms yet it’s always western and sw Ohio.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Wonder who will have the higher gust... Chicago with Cristobal or NYC with Fay. 

ORD gusted to 60 mph back then

173248_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png.be5a5472f456415ce7de60f197cabaf5.png

The fact that this is a legit question,and in early july none the less. just shows how strange 2020 has been so far

• Like 2

Where is all my rain?? We were locked in for rain Friday - Monday. 4 straight days. 

Now we just got rain yesterday evening......and that’s it? Was supposed to get rain during the night. Supposed to get it today. Sunday. And Monday. 

How did that forecast just turn into partly cloudy and a high of 80. 

1 hour ago, Kitchener poster said:

Where is all my rain?? We were locked in for rain Friday - Monday. 4 straight days. 

Now we just got rain yesterday evening......and that’s it? Was supposed to get rain during the night. Supposed to get it today. Sunday. And Monday. 

How did that forecast just turn into partly cloudy and a high of 80. 

That's actually what I was hoping for yesterday minus the cloudiness :lol:

Since Cuomo isn't allowing us to travel anywhere anymore due to covid. Decided it would be a good time to hit up all 46 high peaks in the Adirondacks. Here is Whiteface mountain. Right around 4900 feet. These hikes are no joke.
image.png.f81493de6a209a77bde14c6b28d6bb60.png

Very nice!

Whiteface has some legit, out west style big mountain backcountry skiing when the snow is in. Also where the lake placid Olympic downhill ski comps were held. I didn’t realize it hit that elevation. Not too far off in elevation from the big daddy in the weather world on the east coast - mt Washington.
  • Like 2

Just now, luckyweather said:

Very nice!

Whiteface has some legit, out west style big mountain backcountry skiing when the snow is in. Also where the lake placid Olympic downhill ski comps were held. I didn’t realize it hit that elevation. Not too far off in elevation from the big daddy in the weather world on the east coast - mt Washington.

Yeah it was actually cold up there in mid july with mid 80s at base elevation. I had to put my hoodie on! The town of lake placid is beautiful. I enjoy it in the winter more than the summer, but in the fall it is truly special!

Here is a list of the 46 high peaks along with their elevations and how long it takes to hike them. Highest is Marcy at 5344'.

https://www.adirondack.net/hiking/high-peaks/

• Thanks 1

Yeah it was actually cold up there in mid july with mid 80s at base elevation. I had to put my hoodie on! The town of lake placid is beautiful. I enjoy it in the winter more than the summer, but in the fall it is truly special!
Here is a list of the 46 high peaks along with their elevations and how long it takes to hike them. Highest is Marcy at 5344'.
https://www.adirondack.net/hiking/high-peaks/

Thank you for sharing the list, I will definitely remember that if I’m ever up that way, you can peak bag in NY, never thought of it. Great way to spend your summer, keep at it, let us know once you’ve finished them!

Last summer I hiked up Mt Silverheels, an otherwise not noteworthy 13er in Colorado. I had rented a cabin in the middle of nowhere and you could see it from the cabin and so I figured out the name of the peak and found a pretty easy route on AllTrails, it was a pretty easy peak to bag as far as 13ers go. I learned it’s name is in tribute to a dancer who took care of ailing miners on that peak during a smallpox pandemic. Since the pandemic hit this year I haven’t been able to stop thinking about Silverheels. Almost forgotten but a reminder that while this is our first pandemic for just about everybody alive, it’s certainly not the first.

300f6c6ea8972100cfeb3969040164d8.jpg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, luckyweather said:

Thank you for sharing the list, I will definitely remember that if I’m ever up that way, you can peak bag in NY, never thought of it. Great way to spend your summer, keep at it, let us know once you’ve finished them!

Last summer I hiked up Mt Silverheels, an otherwise not noteworthy 13er in Colorado. I had rented a cabin in the middle of nowhere and you could see it from the cabin and so I figured out the name of the peak and found a pretty easy route on AllTrails, it was a pretty easy peak to bag as far as 13ers go. I learned it’s name is in tribute to a dancer who took care of ailing miners on that peak during a smallpox pandemic. Since the pandemic hit this year I haven’t been able to stop thinking about Silverheels. Almost forgotten but a reminder that while this is our first pandemic for just about everybody alive, it’s certainly not the first.

300f6c6ea8972100cfeb3969040164d8.jpg

That's awesome! I definitely want to do a few of the ones in Colorado as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Longtime Chicago meteorologist Jerry Taft died.

In remembrance, here is a classic clip of when he could barely make it through the weather segment due to uncontrollable laughter.

Thank you for sharing. It's been a minute since I've watched news weather forecasts like this, but I remember this guy from my first years in the hobby. I was laughing throughout the the whole video myself. 

I’m going to say hello to you all by posting some pics of my favorite storm from the beginning of July. Now keep your expectations low because there are no tornadoes here or anything lol. This was just a few cool cells that developed literally on either side of me along the edge of an advancing boundary layer. The pics show the cells starting, growing, then very slowly moving away with nary a drop of rain.  A perfect 1.5hrs spent watching. Enjoy!

02D98DB3-0D6D-47D1-984E-1742FC2ACB8B.thumb.jpeg.bd75454d25ead82814b90fe0b3888e2b.jpeg         

60163125-BF91-4FD5-94EA-785E0637ECD5.thumb.jpeg.b67c336a571d8f0b14422e6e3276625a.jpeg

4CC8E8CA-5968-415A-834F-047DEF71C590.thumb.jpeg.8bc258e1271eabe6db334f035ce47b4e.jpeg    

DDF7429A-3E75-410C-8C2F-CCA57B85133A.thumb.jpeg.9806ea3d64b46e957670bf80d520a5d8.jpeg  

2ED4CCE9-F833-4433-A61B-FC157F3F54AB.thumb.jpeg.09616ce9dadf02b243579fec43048c74.jpeg  

• Like 11