Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

5 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

This weather pattern SUCKS!!!  I've had enough of this cold crap.  I should not have to be wearing my winter coat within two weeks of June.  Models badly underforecasted this big cutoff low.  The NWS is talking about the cloud shield holding over the region through at least Thursday, if not Friday.  Ugh.

We'll probably totally flip the pattern, and have multiple 100 degree days in June.  I'm sure at the least we'll easily tag a few 80 degree dews with all the moisture we're getting.

27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It won't rank up there with the nicer Mays.

MonthTDeptUS.thumb.png.ff20133ab9d6d8cff93fbcb5daf13dcb.png

Barf. Not only are we dealing with a pandemic, but Mother Nature is delivering a complete stinker of a spring. I think I speak for most when I say let’s fast forward to 2021. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

We had such a cold first half of the month it's very likely we stay that below average for the month. At least a good 60% of our trees are leafed out at this point, not like we are almost to june or anything. I am so ready to move on to summer. Hopefully without more cutoffs.

• Sad 1

Curious - is the swirling mess of clouds which seems to have sat over TN/KY this entire week anything unique? Each day I check the vis sat and it’s more of the same. I literally can’t handle this weather anymore, on top of nothing to do but sit at home. On the plus side, yard and landscape look great.

1 hour ago, btcs31 said:

Curious - is the swirling mess of clouds which seems to have sat over TN/KY this entire week anything unique? Each day I check the vis sat and it’s more of the same. I literally can’t handle this weather anymore, on top of nothing to do but sit at home. On the plus side, yard and landscape look great.

That swirling mess is a cut-off low. A cut-off low is when a low pressure system loses the jet stream's steering and gets stuck in an area, often stuck under a ridge. They can last quite a while as evidenced by this one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, btcs31 said:

Ohio Valley cutoffs happen every so often in spring. They're the bane of storm chasers and people who just want to enjoy some nice spring weather. IIRC there was one in early May 2016 but it moved east enough to allow for the sequence that produced Wynnewood, and then the DDC-Chapman sequence happened later in the month.

I seem to recall in 2009 they were still happening in July. :thumbsdown:

Edit: @Geoboy645 beat me to it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, after flirting with it in 2006, '09 and (IMO) 2018, I think 1988 has officially been dethroned as the worst season in the history of the practice (I was 2 at the time so I don't remember it personally). Ironically, our chief meteorologist said today that year was also the last time the center of a remnant tropical cyclone tracked into Wisconsin (Hurricane Gilbert, although that was at a more seasonable time of year for such an event-September).

I was hoping for some good storms to take my mind off the COVID pandemic, but instead I think the pandemic and more recently the Floyd fallout have taken my mind off the lack of storms. :(

4 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Yeah, after flirting with it in 2006, '09 and (IMO) 2018, I think 1988 has officially been dethroned as the worst season in the history of the practice (I was 2 at the time so I don't remember it personally). Ironically, our chief meteorologist said today that year was also the last time the center of a remnant tropical cyclone tracked into Wisconsin (Hurricane Gilbert, although that was at a more seasonable time of year for such an event-September).

I was hoping for some good storms to take my mind off the COVID pandemic, but instead I think the pandemic and more recently the Floyd fallout have taken my mind off the lack of storms. :(

Next week looks good for thunder according to ECMWF.  Showing a progressive zonal flow with heat over the plains.