Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I still have some of last weeks snow that fell on top of 20 inches of glacier pack. Yesterday’s high was 28, tonight 22. Average high is 51 ( pre lake breeze of course).

I noticed the snowpack in the zone southeast of James Bay has continued to increase over the past month.  That might have something to do with this stubborn Eastern US trough pattern.  The spring melt has failed to reach the 50th parallel anywhere east of Winnipeg.  Zone between 45 and 50 has lost some snowpack, but it's stopped as of now and won't resume for several days.  We really need a good torch to knock back the glaciers of Ontario and Quebec.  Lengthening days and higher sun angle does no good when it all gets reflected off snow.  The Canadian prairies now being snow free and warm only seems to amplify the annoying NW flow and eastern Great Lakes digging. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I dont understand why people need to stay at home as long as they are social distancing, wearing a mask, etc while out in public.

One can argue this should have been implemented weeks ago as a first measure to reduce the spread, instead of destroying the economy and lives of millions. What was already a fragile economy here, is decimated.  70 confirmed cases in the entire UP, 11 deaths.  Marquette County hasn't had a new case confirmed in 3 days, yet the stay home order extended.  This is not a one size fits all state.

I feel completely safe at the grocery store or in public.  I wear a mask, don't touch my face, and wash my hands.  But whatever.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

One can argue this should have been implemented weeks ago as a first measure to reduce the spread, instead of destroying the economy and lives of millions. What was already a fragile economy here, is decimated.  70 confirmed cases in the entire UP, 11 deaths.  Marquette County hasn't had a new case confirmed in 3 days, yet the stay home order extended.  This is not a one size fits all state.

I feel completely safe at the grocery store or in public.  I wear a mask, don't touch my face, and wash my hands.  But whatever.

A place like the UP probably should open up. I mean hell there is almost triple the number of people in my county than the entire UP. Social distancing is natural up there to begin with. I will say don't count out tourism just yet though, it is still early in the year and March/April tend to be down months in general up there between the snow season and the summer camping season.

• Like 1

A place like the UP probably should open up. I mean hell there is almost triple the number of people in my county than the entire UP. Social distancing is natural up there to begin with. I will say don't count out tourism just yet though, it is still early in the year and March/April tend to be down months in general up there between the snow season and the summer camping season.

With what money?
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

I agree. Honestly, I could not think of a less desirable time to be in the upper peninsula than April and May. The time between Winter and summer is just mud. Bo has excellent points of the entire state is not the same, but for down here in the populated Detroit area I absolutely agree with all of the stay at home stuff.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2020 at 10:09 PM, zinski1990 said:

Be nice if this Spring was like 2018. Crap cool/cold April followed by sudden extreme pattern change last day of April into May with 70s 80s and 90s rest of the way. Remember Indy that year had 3rd coldest April on record followed by warmest May ever.

Up here in Michigan May 2018 kinda crap.  Stuck on the north side of the warm front with constant rain for the first half of the month.  Only south of I-80 saw the sun.  Overnight lows were mild enough for things to start growing, but it didn't really get nice until the end, and at that point it was summer.  Summer started early, but there was no pleasant spring with sunshine and temps in the 70s.  Went straight from rain and 50s early to 80s and 90s late.  Not that I wouldn't take 80s and humidity over cloudy and 40s and 50s.

• Like 1

It’s Saturday, it’s been raining for almost 18 hours straight here and hasn’t gotten out of the 40’s; and barely over a week since we had several inches of snow. Mother Nature really knows how to salt that CV-19 shelter in place wound. Can’t even get out of the house with the kids or get some yardwork done. Grocery shopping has become the highlight of the weekend.

/rant

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

For lunch today I went to the local Culver's.  As I pulled into the line, a high-rider pickup truck drove by as it exited.  The driver was a bearded guy with a big, white parrot perched on his shoulder.  That's something you don't see every day.

Bowme lives!

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2020 at 9:15 AM, weatherbo said:

Don't fear! They will "save" you with their vaccine!