Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

Mid April looking unseasonably cold. Let's go for one more snowfall.:weenie:

A mid/late April 4-6” event here in N. IL during quarantine would make the short version of my life’s highlight reel. I’d break down and tell Alexa to play some Christmas music, bake some cookies, try to get out and ski the yard. Don’t get me wrong, I’m completely okay with 60s and sun, but if it’s gotta be 40s and gray, let’s go all the way.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even if there isn't a snowstorm, these cold outbreaks in April can be interesting due to the increasing afternoon instability.  Heaviest snow showers's I've ever seen in my life in Michigan have always been on April afternoons.  They tend to be wet and mix with a lot of graupel though, so not much accumulation. 

On 4/5/2020 at 4:27 PM, Hoosier said:

Having an April 14 snowstorm in consecutive years in the sub would be pretty crazy.

There was also an April 14-15 snowstorm in much of Minnesota and Wisconsin back in 2018, so make it three consecutive years with a storm over the same two day period if it verifies.

I know its not within the forum region, but the Southeast sub is boring.

12Z Euro is insane for Sunday in AL/MS. 

100-110kt 500mb jet streak atop a 60-70kt LLJ, juxtaposed to 67-71 degree dewpoints and steep lapse rates leading to CAPE values on the order of 2000-4000 j/kg @ 21Z. Insane.

12Z GFS is about 9 to 12 hours faster than the ECMWF (go figure)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last time Dayton had both at least a slightly cold April and May was in 2016, which was followed by a hot summer. Recent years prior to that were 1997, 1996, 1995, 1992, 1990, 1989, 1984, and 1983. Only 3 of those years (1995, 1989, and 1983) with a cold April and May were followed by a hot summer. Four of those years (1997, 1992, 1990, and 1984) with a cold April and May were followed by a cold summer. A cold April and May in 1996 was followed by a near normal summer.

On 4/20/2020 at 2:11 PM, Chicago Storm said:

Haven't really been following it much recently, but the CFS is showing a fairly cool May for most areas.

It has constant Eastern or Lakes troughing.

Not surprised.  Another crappy year for severe weather up here.  This whole virus thing, stuck at home, and can’t even work in the yard without wearing layers is aggravating.  If the weather was decent it would at least be tolerable.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

I was averaging forecasted temps for St Louis and Indy over the next 14 days according to weather.com, and St Louis is forecast to be a whopping 9 degrees warmer over that time span. Why such a large difference between cities with fairly similar climates ?

2 hours ago, Snownado said:

I was averaging forecasted temps for St Louis and Indy over the next 14 days according to weather.com, and St Louis is forecast to be a whopping 9 degrees warmer over that time span. Why such a large difference between cities with fairly similar climates ?

We are in a pattern of dominant eastern troughing.  Indy is more under the influence of it being farther east.

So now we have two...back to back storms....that if the same pattern would have happened in winter....we would be looking at back to back snowstorms in the northern Ohio valley. Instead....cold rain, wind and nothing resembling spring for some time to come. The weather gods sure hate the Ohio Valley. Mother nature is having a good laugh at we snow weenies!

• Like 1