Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2020 Discussion

madwx

15 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

A period of high winds looks likely from later this afternoon into Thursday morning.

Looks like 50-60kts at 925mb edges in along the Lake Michigan shore counties, so will likely end up with out 50-60mph gusts for those areas, with 35-50mph more common inland.

We flood the shoreline.

39 minutes ago, Geoboy645 said:

Certainly don't see this everyday from water flooding in from the great lakes. https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=grb&wwa=flood warning Apparently the Fox River is flooding to moderate stage from water being backed up because of the winds and high water levels in Green Bay.

How deep is that bay? Dear God water level is at 584'

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Man it is nasty out today. 40's, heavy rain, and high wind. It's pretty hard to get nastier weather than that this time of the year. I mean this is just pure march weather when it's almost may. This spring has sucked so much. 

4 hours ago, UMB WX said:

Last april around this time we had record snowfall. Aprils have been rough for many consecutive yrs now especially if you're not inland from Lake MI.  Guess that's just April climo.. Throw away month.

You'd think the upper Midwest could get a warm April with frequent thunderstorms for once (especially considering how many warmer than average/below average snowfall Dec/Jans we've had), but you would be wrong.

45 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

How deep is that bay? Dear God water level is at 584'

Green Bay gets pretty deep farther north, but near the city it gets really shallow really quick which is why it floods so easily. Also doens't help that the Green Bay area is one of the few widespread low areas of shoreline on that side of the lake.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geoboy645 said:

Green Bay gets pretty deep farther north, but near the city it gets really shallow really quick which is why it floods so easily. Also doens't help that the Green Bay area is one of the few widespread low areas of shoreline on that side of the lake.

Which makes that Warning read really weird. 

Flood stage is 584.0 feet.

You're saying the flooding is local at the river's mouth, but the gauge they are using is some bouy way out in the bay? Never seen anything like that tbh..

11 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

You're saying the flooding is local at the river's mouth, but the gauge they are using is some bouy way out in the bay? Never seen anything like that tbh..

Oh no the gauge is like right in downtown Green Bay up the river a bit. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

I think that is feet above sea level. The river raisen in monroe county has a gage like that as well

• Thanks 1

Another cold soaker of rain here today. I think I'm the outlier here in that I'll always welcome a late April washout as it makes the morel mushroom/spring garden season so much better :lol:

I chased the same supercell that IllinoisWedges chased yesterday. No tornadoes but I had a bunch of fun regardless. I captured this insane lightning bolt on my dash cam on the way home. IMG_20200429_200718_111.thumb.jpg.6d12114f33309c7032e3b1bb4249f2e3.jpg

• Like 6

just a tropical blizzard  lite out there still.    crazy.. in 6 hrs it will be 24's of solid  precip. Day before we received close to an inch of qpf.   Rain  data today has been compromised  by the wind that happens every easterly wind storm.  Fake wx.. Fake yard ponds on 0.41qp. 40's  and lake breeze winds is mke springs.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

This would have been a mammoth snowstorm for Chicago/Milwaukee if it had hit a month or more ago.  A thread-the-needle monster for the ages.

Tried to flop those  weenie sediments on the wife.  She sorta got it and gets our sickness. Just shakes her head.  I love my wife.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

just a tropical blizzard  lite out there still.    crazy.. in 6 hrs it will be 24's of solid  precip. Day before we received close to an inch of qpf.   Rain  data today has been compromised  by the wind that happens every easterly wind storm.  Fake wx.. Fake yard ponds on 0.41qpf

If you wanted to see how Chicago/Milwaukee could get demolished by a 20-30" blizzard while areas 100 miles east or west get little to nothing this storm is your template.  Kind of reminds me of the very thread-the-needle blizzard we got in Jan 1995.  Very narrow area of well over a foot, while areas on either side got nothing.  Was also a long lasting deform/trowel like this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

If you wanted to see how Chicago/Milwaukee could get demolished by a 20-30" blizzard while areas 100 miles east or west get little to nothing this storm is your template.  Kind of reminds me of the very thread-the-needle blizzard we got in Jan 1995.  Very narrow area of well over a foot, while areas on either side got nothing.  Was also a long lasting deform trowel like this.

I've been thinking your same thoughts all day.   Haven't seen a storm like this since the good ole days since a decade ago or more.   wack shit we living.  Glad we living still, homies.  Still ripping rain against the house..  This has been a tame storm punch,  but in the end there would have been 20-30" amounts of snow.

precip hasn't been a problem of late in winter.  Its the timing thats been all ****ed up for yrs to get what we all come here for, snow;)

We share winter through, MSF scrap winter storms now. Where do we go from here? That magnet and crap  winter climo is sure to run out.  Helter Skelter winters? I'd love to  MAGA believe  our climo isn't changing beneath our eyes. Hah.  Them  1970's winters made me in to the snow weenie I am.   Them days have sailed.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1