• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2020 Discussion

madwx

Spring’s like this one is why I won’t be in Michigan from mid March to May 1st after I retire. I’ve never been a fan of Spring which is basically a continuation of the same crap weather we’ve had since late October with highs within 10 degrees either side of 40 with a chilly wind most of the time this year. To each their own but Spring sucks. I like 4 distinct seasons and unfortunately this past Fall has continued for 7 months now with no real winter weather or spring weather outside a few days here or there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slow poke said:

Spring’s like this one is why I won’t be in Michigan from mid March to May 1st after I retire. I’ve never been a fan of Spring which is basically a continuation of the same crap weather we’ve had since late October with highs within 10 degrees either side of 40 with a chilly wind most of the time this year. To each their own but Spring sucks. I like 4 distinct seasons and unfortunately this past Fall has continued for 7 months now with no real winter weather or spring weather outside a few days here or there. 

I'm getting grumpy in my old age, I have less and less tolerance for April.  Waiting on the snow to melt and for it to warm up seems endless this year.  When was the last AN April?  

:( the next week

Today- A slight chance of snow showers before 10am, then a slight chance of rain showers after 5pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tonight- Scattered rain and snow showers before 10pm, then a slight chance of snow showers after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Tuesday- Isolated snow showers before 9am. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 32. Breezy, with a northwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tuesday Night- A 20 percent chance of snow showers after 3am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 17. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday- A 20 percent chance of snow showers before 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday Night- Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.

Thursday- Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42.

Thursday Night- Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Friday- Mostly sunny, with a high near 42.

Friday Night

Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Saturday- Partly sunny, with a high near 42.

Saturday Night- Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Sunday- Partly sunny, with a high near 41.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, weatherbo said:

I'm getting grumpy in my old age, I have less and less tolerance for April.  Waiting on the snow to melt and for it to warm up seems endless this year.  When was the last AN April?  

:(

A slight chance of snow showers before 9am, then scattered rain showers after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Tonight
Scattered rain and snow showers before 9pm, then a slight chance of snow showers after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. Breezy, with a northwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.
Tuesday Night
A 20 percent chance of snow showers after 2am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 17. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest after midnight.
Wednesday
A 20 percent chance of snow showers before 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.
Thursday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42.
Thursday Night
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near42.
Friday Night
Saturday
Partly sunny, with a high near 42.
Saturday Night
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 41.

i feel ya.  It seems like the past 3 or 4 aprils have featured tons of NW flow with below normal temps.  it would be nice if we could get some more zonal or sw flow and get some warmer temps and higher dewpoints in the area.

• Like 1

I didn't realize how cold and dry this month has been. Madison right now is -3.8 degrees below normal and 2.90 inches below normal for the month. Looks like in the next week we are going to get some rain so that should help. Although frankly this dry of an April isn't bad, it's more the temperatures that need the help. Unfortunately it's not looking good at all the next week here.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

@madwx @Geoboy645 Here's hoping for a few rumbles this evening, am I right?

There will probably be some thunder over there.  The freezing level is real low so graupel will almost certainly make it to the ground.  Stronger updrafts may have some small hard hail too.  I don't think there will be any thunder in my area but still could see some graupel and gusty winds.  This setup reminds me of mountain weather.  Dry atmosphere with steep lapse rates and low freezing level.

A cold November and cold April bookending a mild winter actually makes the winter seem longer, because while milder than avg, DJF was obviously "cold" with "frequent" snow, relatively speaking.

6 of the last 7 mornings have had a low between 25-30F, quite unusual for April.

With the two snowfalls of the past week, Detroit is at 4.9" for the month, which is the 12th snowiest April on record.

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Widespread 40-60mph wind gusts this afternoon and evening across WI/N IL/E IA, with the convection moving through along/ahead of the cold front.

Even a few isolated higher gusts, such as 69mph at MKE and 61mph at DPA..

Definitely close to 50mph in this shower here now. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, slow poke said:

With how the climate has been behaving in recent years near the Lakes and what is taking place now it sealed it for me that my goal is now to simply leave, meteorology and weather is my main passion so to save it. Walking outside in mid-April feeling like your face is numb and in pain, yeah.

Today's high is 0ºC with a wind chill of -9ºC for most of the day. That would be in the all-timers for the worst late April day since it will be overcast with flurries. I'm trying to remember an April that was this terrible. I saw on the 00z Euro the same nightmare and on the 240 hr frame (May 1) I smiled in horror. 

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

However, I will agree that Aprils have been loaded with suckage here in the past few years. Two thirds of the way through April, 2020 shows FWA sitting at a -2.6° departure. Four out of the past five years had temperature near or below normal:

2019 +0.5°

2018 -5.9°

2017 +5.2°

2016 -0.7°

2015 +0.5°

It would be nice to have some more nice Aprils after having to endure yet another crappy winter.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

However, I will agree that Aprils have been loaded with suckage here in the past few years. Two thirds of the way through April, 2020 shows FWA sitting at a -2.6° departure. Four out of the past five years had temperature near or below normal:

2019 +0.5°

2018 -5.9°

2017 +5.2°

2016 -0.7°

2015 +0.5°

It would be nice to have some more nice Aprils after having to endure yet another crappy winter.

Delayed payback for spring 2012      lol

• Haha 1

8th straight day now, including today, with low's below freezing. Currently 32F with a windchill of 18F and light flurries. Feels more like December than late April. Another terrible start to Spring. The PNA may flip negative come early May, which aligns with the NAO flip, so we'll see if that changes as we progress towards the last few days of the month. 

• Like 1