Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2020 Discussion

madwx

28 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

.25" of rain this morning, with temps around 40 this afternoon.  Fog settled in after the rain but am hoping for some late day sun and a small spike in temps for a bit.

Road up to my place... mud season starting. 

91145374_3200553703311840_3856703481586909184_o.jpg.0d41111acd80f31c5b416d195360f06b.jpg

Just curious, do people find any morels in that area?

40 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

.25" of rain this morning, with temps around 40 this afternoon.  Fog settled in after the rain but am hoping for some late day sun and a small spike in temps for a bit.

Road up to my place... mud season starting. 

91145374_3200553703311840_3856703481586909184_o.jpg.0d41111acd80f31c5b416d195360f06b.jpg

When does spring begin up there ? June ?

10 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

^ washboard roads, fun. Not!

If only it would stay this nice.

2 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Just curious, do people find any morels in that area?

Supposedly.  I hear and see stories of people finding them by the dozens in mid to late May, but for whatever reason my local area doesn't seem to have them.  I've not found a singe morel in 7 years of looking.  I've often wondered if it's the heavy pine or just harder to spot with the ferns that grow up so quick.  It was so easy to find them in Indiana.  Some local grocer's will carry them in-season and they're much cheaper than buying them down that way.

• Like 1

Made it to 78 here, and 79 at MLI.  Had quite a bit of cloud cover that lasted into early afternoon, otherwise low to mid 80s would have been likely.

Nice thunderhead gracing the northern horizon, with a nice flank of TCU feeding in from the left (west-southwest).

EDIT:  Seen MLI hit 81 at 5:05 ob, so that should be at least 80.

• Like 1

Currently 74 degrees with Dew point at 58. Have the balcony open, had a couple bangers hit already with the first storm coming in. 

First night time mid/late spring/summer storm feel of the year. Flashes and rolling thunder intensifying. Awesome. See how well the back one holds. 

Some hail hitting now! Pea size sounding. Was very brief. Eastern dupage.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Tomorrow could be a little entertaining from a squall perspective.

yeah the HRRR is hitting the rain/snow shower pretty hard throughout the upper midwest.  Wonder if we could get some graupel with these storms

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Tomorrow could be a little entertaining from a squall perspective.

1 hour ago, madwx said:

yeah the HRRR is hitting the rain/snow shower pretty hard throughout the upper midwest.  Wonder if we could get some graupel with these storms

Steep low level lapse rates, up to 200 cape, low freezing levels...has all the makings of convective showers, with +SN and/or graupel.

• Like 2

HRRR, RAP, and NAMs all have pockets of 200-300+ cape today across SEMI. As mentioned above, LLLR are very steep and freezing levels are low. Definitely some graupel/hail potential in the stronger convection, with bursts of heavy snow also possible. DTX highlighting the potential for convective gusts of 50MPH in the stronger cells. Probably will be out documenting them, as these types of events always excite me for some reason. Should have robust looking convective clouds to photograph as well.

17 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Steep low level lapse rates, up to 200 cape, low freezing levels...has all the makings of convective showers, with +SN and/or graupel.

4 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

April 2, 2016 redux.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

today is gonna be good

Soundings for today across the area are rockin'...

Upwards of 400 cape, low level lapse rates up around 10C, freezing level around 900mb, deep mixing to ~600mb, -6C at 850mb...

Gonna be convective precip o' plenty, with +SN/graupel...and probably some +TSSN. Add in the 35-50mph wind gusts, and likely higher in the convective precip. There's even some inverted V soundings showing up.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

Soundings for today across the area are rockin'...

Upwards of 400 cape, low level lapse rates up around 10C, freezing level around 900mb, deep mixing to ~600mb, -6C at 850mb...

Gonna be convective precip o' plenty, with +SN/graupel...and probably some +TSSN. Add in the 35-50mph wind gusts, and likely higher in the convective precip. There's even some inverted V soundings showing up.

yeah, been getting hyped

gonna be photogenic too

• Like 1