Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2020

donsutherland1

26 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Don't understand why anyone would want strong damaging winds? Or hope for very heavy rain? Especially since it's been so wet and the water table is so high. If you live in an area like me, with septic systems, you don't want any more rain for awhile.

Many around here think I’m crazy but I love a good rain storm. This reminds me of a big event from many years ago where we got a firehose of convection and lots of wind. 

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Many around here think I’m crazy but I love a good rain storm. This reminds me of a big event from many years ago where we got a firehose of convection and lots of wind. 

Yeah those historic events are dramatic and memorable.  I just dont want it raining every other day ya know lol.  Getting a big event a couple times a month is a good thing to keep things interesting this time of year.

6 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

I was just going to say that. The peak winds perhaps aren't quite as high but much more consistent than the much more hyped after Easter storm.

Yep, classic. One event is hyped with meh results and this under the radar wind event ends up more impressive 

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

it's not really a bust when you consider that this is what these kinds of storms usually do.  More rain west / more wind east.

NYC/LI 1-2" of rain and 50 mph gusts.... western NJ/PA 3-5" of rain and 30 mph gusts

there are places that will wind up with under an inch in nj

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yeah those historic events are dramatic and memorable.  I just dont want it raining every other day ya know lol.  Getting a big event a couple times a month is a good thing to keep things interesting this time of year.

One of my favorite storms of all time was the March 2010 Noreaster. The combination of the rain and wind were extremely impressive. 

And I'll never forget being out with the fire department the night that Sandy came in. Wind howling, trees coming down. One narrowly missed our engine. So many flashes of light in the sky from blowing up transformers that it looked like lightning. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

By May even cooler weather still feels okay. The exception is a coastal or any prolonged onshore flow. 

That being said a high in the 50s is definitely well below normal for May which is pushing 70+ for climo.

And again I don't think it will be a high in the 50s. I think it will be 60 to 63 mid-late next week, but we'll see. But yeah whether it's upper 50s or low 60s, it will feel ok.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

One of my favorite storms of all time was the March 2010 Noreaster. The combination of the rain and wind were extremely impressive. 

And I'll never forget being out with the fire department the night that Sandy came in. Wind howling, trees coming down. One narrowly missed our engine. So many flashes of light in the sky from blowing up transformers that it looked like lightning. 

Yeah I made this list of rain storms that I would take over most snow storms (outside of the 20+ inch snowstorms, those are in their own category.)

This is in chronological order (if I had to rank them by severity I think I'd put Dec 1992 first, for its longevity, sustained high winds, rainfall and widespread flooding.)

1.  Hurricane Gloria (1985)

2.  November severe weather event (1989)

3.  Hurricane Bob (1991)

4.  Perfect Storm (1991)

5. December noreaster (1992)

6.  July Hailstorm (1994)

7.  Tropical Storm Bertha (1996)

8.  May Derecho (1998)

9.  Labor Day Tornado (1998)- an F2 only 2 miles from my house!

10.  Hurricane Floyd (1999)

11.  October rainstorms (2005)- rainiest month EVER here, around 20" of rain!

12. March noreaster (2010)

13.  September derecho/tornadoes (2010)

14. August rainstorm (2011)- rainiest single storm here, around 10" of rain!

15.  Hurricane Irene (2011)

16.  Hurricane Sandy (2012)

There's probably a lot more I missed, but these come to mind right away.

edit- I added some severe wx events that came to mind.

56 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Yes!  March 2010 was the first time I saw transformers blowing up everywhere...it looked like red lightning!  Sandy was the second time I saw that.  There was a third time it happened here, around midnight in a severe wx event, but I cant remember what year it was (I know I posted about it here though.)

16th day in a row with a negative temperature departure in NYC. This is a rare feat after April 15th. Most of our streaks this long have occurred from November into March.

2020-04-15 -4.9
2020-04-16 -9.3
2020-04-17 -10.1
2020-04-18 -10.5
2020-04-19 -2.8
2020-04-20 -2.2
2020-04-21 -5.0
2020-04-22 -11.8
2020-04-23 -9.6
2020-04-24 -10.5
2020-04-25 -1.8
2020-04-26 -10.1