• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2020

donsutherland1

latest snowflakes seen for NYC in recent years...

4/23.....trace in 1963 and 1986...1986 accumulated a little in colder spots...1963 had IP's...

4/24.....trace in 1967...snow and rain mixed...

4/27.....trace in 1967...rain and snow mixed...

5/9...….trace in 1977...snow mixes in with rain...

5/27.....trace in 1961...IP's reported at LGA...could have been hail with temps in the low to mid 40's...

near misses in May.....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, uncle W said:

latest snowflakes seen for NYC...

4/23.....trace in 1963 and 1986...1986 accumulated a little in colder spots...1963 had IP's...

4/24.....trace in 1967...snow and rain mixed...

4/27.....trace in 1967...rain and snow mixed...

5/9...….trace in 1977...snow mixes in with rain...

5/27.....trace in 1961...IP's reported at LGA...could have been hail with temps in the low to mid 40's...

near misses in May.....

I've noticed on some pages NWS shows traces of snow in the closing days of May at LGA and JFK. I always assumed it was some clerical error or hail. Record lows range from 41 to 50 on the dubious dates.

26 minutes ago, dWave said:

I've noticed on some pages NWS shows traces of snow in the closing days of May at LGA and JFK. I always assumed it was some clerical error or hail. Record lows range from 41 to 50 on the dubious dates.

I don't remember 1961 but I do remember 1967...that year NYC just missed snow on 5/25...I saw wet snow mixed with rain earlier in May 67...May 67 is the second coldest of all time...

25 minutes ago, ny10019 said:

was walking the dogs in Central Park this morning when the flurries started. Kinda shocked me since it was so warm, I thought there was a mass exodus of petals from the trees around us.

I wonder if they will record a trace of snow for the park today?...in May 1945 NYC recorded a trace of snow with a max/min of 51/45...

May 9, 1977 was not just a stray flake that some were lucky enough to notice.  Durng the mid afternoon a cold rain turned to a heavy wet snow for a while on LI with temps in the mid 30's.  It did not accumulate (although a haze of slush did start in some spots)  but it was more than just a formality.

2 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

May 9, 1977 was not just a stray flake that some were lucky enough to notice.  During the mid afternoon a cold rain turned to a heavy wet snow for a while on LI with temps in the mid 30's.  It did not accumulate (although a haze of slush did start in some spots)  but it was more than just a formality.

I remember that distinctly, thanks for reminding me. The night before in Ithaca was one of the top 3 ever Grateful Dead shows, when the crowd entered the arena it was warm(ish) and nice, when they left it was snowing hard and there was a few inches on the ground. There were some surprised people coming out in shorts and t-shirts into a full fledged winter storm.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I remember that distinctly, thanks for reminding me. The night before in Ithaca was one of the top 3 ever Grateful Dead shows, when the crowd entered the arena it was warm(ish) and nice, when they left it was snowing hard and there was a few inches on the ground. There were some surprised people coming out in shorts and t-shirts into a full fledged winter storm.

saw the greatfull dead at the fillmore east on 2/14/1970...drove there in a snowstorm...no one on the road and I parked on the street two blocks away...try doing that now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, uncle W said:

I wonder if they will record a trace of snow for the park today?...in May 1945 NYC recorded a trace of snow with a max/min of 51/45...

no snow reported on the daily almanac for NYC...its only a trace but it should have been observed...

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

GFS/Euro actually look a lot more promising with regards to warm spring weather.

Wonder if it's real or another head fake. EPS is still generally cool though it has a couple warmer days poking through over next 10 days. 

I sure hope it's turning.  Sunday and Monday look like more 40's and rain, not to mention tomorrow.