• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2020

donsutherland1

Been lucky enough to see hail four or five times. The first time was in Delaware in the parking lot of a Sonic. Twice we had hail at my parents house in Pompton Plains and we've had it twice in Mahwah since I moved here almost four years ago. Largest hail I've ever had someone I know witness in this area which was golf ball sized which occurred in Butler, NJ almost ten years ago.

And then we had this freak storm from 2011 which brought baseball sized hail to parts of Queens and LI.

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/01/baseball-sized-hail-damages-cars-in-queens-and-long-island/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

i seen a few times in my life.. of very small hail in manhattan.. i'm jealous of those in texas who soeetimes get golf or baseball size hail :P

I lived in Austin for about 2 years. A few times I saw quarter or so sized hail. I remember more the wind events-a couple of tornadoes went by close to me (one was at night and one was in the morning but with blinding heavy rain so I couldn't see it) and once there was 75-80mph wind with an incoming squall line. I missed some much bigger hail events by a few miles. They definitely happen but they're very localized. 

Since I moved back to Long Island this is the first actual hail I've seen. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Unfortunately it's a new normal to set up these -NAO patterns and backdoor-favoring troughs over the Maritimes in April. 

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Expect quite a lot of rain for Saturday into Sunday with this trough setup on the Euro. Looks like a cutoff with redeveloping surface low.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_6.png

Yep. Perfect track for a KU back in February. 

19 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I lived in Austin for about 2 years. A few times I saw quarter or so sized hail. I remember more the wind events-a couple of tornadoes went by close to me (one was at night and one was in the morning but with blinding heavy rain so I couldn't see it) and once there was 75-80mph wind with an incoming squall line. I missed some much bigger hail events by a few miles. They definitely happen but they're very localized. 

Since I moved back to Long Island this is the first actual hail I've seen. 

Sounds amazing. I have to get off of this island.

22 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Expect quite a lot of rain for Saturday into Sunday with this trough setup on the Euro. Looks like a cutoff with redeveloping surface low.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_6.png

Yeah it looks like Thursday night into Friday afternoon we could pick up 1-2" of rain followed by this storm late Saturday into Sunday which could drop another 1-2"+. Wet times ahead for sure. You almost have to wonder if this pattern could persist into the summer and instead of very hot temps which some are mentioning we could wind up having a very warm and muggy summer with plenty of heavy rain/severe storms instead which would probably keep temps somewhat in check. We'll see.

6 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Yeah it looks like Thursday night into Friday afternoon we could pick up 1-2" of rain followed by this storm late Saturday into Sunday which could drop another 1-2"+. Wet times ahead for sure. You almost have to wonder if this pattern could persist into the summer and instead of very hot temps which some are mentioning we could wind up having a very warm and muggy summer with plenty of heavy rain/severe storms instead which would probably keep temps somewhat in check. We'll see.

If I recall last Summer was on the cool side. Wouldn't mind a hot and relatively dry Summer if we're ever allowed to leave our houses again. Would make for some great beach/shore vacation weather.