Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2020

donsutherland1

28 minutes ago, doncat said:

The woods that have surrounded my station for 50 years are scheduled for development sometime in the future...wonder if that will affect my temp readings. I've been lucky that that privately owned parcel was empty for so long.

it might a little depending on what they build there...you are still pretty close to open land...

Wind gusts products tend to be mostly useless, but this is probably a decent portrayal by the 12z NAM of what we might see tomorrow . NAM tends to be a bit too inverted while the GFS is too mixed most of the time, so the below is a good conservative portrayal of what the top gusts we'll see tomorrow with a good chance of seeing numbers a bit higher than advertised here

NAMNSTNE_sfc_gust_031.png.d430055e702f454e7fbd5c98fd8554aa.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

Wasn’t March 2010 a coastal where the inversion broke?

It was a Dec 1992 repeat more or less.  The gradient was just that strong.  I’m not sure we effectively mixed down max winds from aloft in that scenario given time of year and direction of wind.  This event like that one the strongest winds should be near the coast but the high gusts will probably be more sporadic  depending how effectively they mix down.  This event is more similar to an 11/11/95 or 10/14/03.  Both of those setups were different in regards to proximity of the surface lows/upper trof but they both had crazy 850 S’ly winds with areas gusting 50-70.  The 2003 event was somewhat short duration though.  This will be a good 6-12 hours 

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

It was a Dec 1992 repeat more or less.  The gradient was just that strong.  I’m not sure we effectively mixed down max winds from aloft in that scenario given time of year and direction of wind.  This event like that one the strongest winds should be near the coast but the high gusts will probably be more sporadic  depending how effectively they mix down.  This event is more similar to an 11/11/95 or 10/14/03.  Both of those setups were different in regards to proximity of the surface lows/upper trof but they both had crazy 850 winds S winds with areas gusting 50-70.  The 2003 event was somewhat short duration though.  This will be a good 6-12 hours 

Usually best winds in this situation is after the morning rains but before the low topped line

59 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It was a Dec 1992 repeat more or less.  The gradient was just that strong.  I’m not sure we effectively mixed down max winds from aloft in that scenario given time of year and direction of wind.  This event like that one the strongest winds should be near the coast but the high gusts will probably be more sporadic  depending how effectively they mix down.  This event is more similar to an 11/11/95 or 10/14/03.  Both of those setups were different in regards to proximity of the surface lows/upper trof but they both had crazy 850 S’ly winds with areas gusting 50-70.  The 2003 event was somewhat short duration though.  This will be a good 6-12 hours 

Dec 1992 was a three day historic storm with snow here on the back end (but up to 3 feet of snow inland).

That will be my all time coastal storm that wasn't all snow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

In other news the Euro/EPS is shutting down the -EPO in the longer range, if so, get ready for another torch....

Even the last 2 weeks when we’ve had these trofs and cold pushes the source region of the air hasn’t been great so despite it looking cold if you just glanced at the upper air pattern or thicknesses when you looked at the 850s it wasn’t really a very cold air mass 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

Usually best winds in this situation is after the morning rains but before the low topped line

Fully expect that tomorrow. 11/11/95 blew so much sand off the beaches and on the ocean parkway they used snow plows to plow the sand off the road. I’m looking forward to a drive tomorrow. 
people are going to loose their minds if there are long term power outages from this. Luckily we are just before leaf out 

17 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Fully expect that tomorrow. 11/11/95 blew so much sand off the beaches and on the ocean parkway they used snow plows to plow the sand off the road. I’m looking forward to a drive tomorrow. 
people are going to loose their minds if there are long term power outages from this. Luckily we are just before leaf out 

I'm sure a lot more people have generators now than pre-Sandy days, so the impact of power outages isn't as bad overall as it use to be.

20 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

There’s numerous ways this could enhance the COVID issue.  It could force the stores to be obliterated again if everyone’s food spoils, it could force people to move into friends or family’s homes if they lose power, and power crews could accelerate the virus spread by working together 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

There’s numerous ways this could enhance the COVID issue.  It could force the stores to be obliterated again if everyone’s food spoils, it could force people to move into friends or family’s homes if they lose power, and power crews could accelerate the virus spread by working together 

I highly doubt any of this happens. Praying it doesn’t!

• Like 1

The NAM has trended to a more defined and progressive shortwave aiming it right at us. As a result it is now showing a more condensed line/structure instead of the more diffuse activity it was showing earlier. 3 run change shown below. We'll see how things shift, but this would serve to have a large portion of the area achieve HWW criteria winds.

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_fh23_trend.thumb.gif.3b9cf4320c7a9ba7c9d5475b3e42be0f.gif

JB says 100mph wind gusts on LI.        Snow for Tues night?      It first appeared two weeks ago for around the 16th., then disappeared and reappeared on some runs.       What a March we could have had.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1