Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

4/19/18....yeah there was some light accumulations in spots.

I remember that day. I think too that was the final snow threat to track. Then one month later...tornado outbreak! Seems like past years where we get April snow events (measurable) we get a big severe wx event in May or June. I think the same thing happens this year. Pretty volatile pattern setting up to our west...should that continue and we relax this pattern over us there may be a window. Hopefully for an EML 

• Weenie 1

55 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

5/18/02?

Of course you would know .

Found this:

Not for all of Southern New England. Here's all the times that Lowell has had 1.0" or more after April 16:

4/21/1940 4.0"

5/9/1977 2.6"

4/29/1987 6.0"

4/27/1993 1.0"

4/26/2000 1.0"

5/18/2002 1.0"

24 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Of course you would know .

Found this:

Not for all of Southern New England. Here's all the times that Lowell has had 1.0" or more after April 16:

4/21/1940 4.0"

5/9/1977 2.6"

4/29/1987 6.0"

4/27/1993 1.0"

4/26/2000 1.0"

5/18/2002 1.0"

I remember the 4/26/00 event too. Terribly forecasted IIRC. Had 2-3" in ORH county. Surprise ULL. 

Those Lowell numbers are prob way lowballed in '87 and '77 though....but that coop I think typically only measured once per day, so that time of the year if you miss the measurement at the end, then you'll prob be measuring melting slush hours later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro is close with the storm early next week. I think it’s not anything at the moment, but slowly ticking west. 

"Close"  ...heh...looks like it goes right over top - 

It's likely over amped in the total deep layer ejection out of the west, which is typical D5/6 shenanigans for that model... Or not, but if comes in flatter and/or up the ST L seaway it's not like there's no precedence since October for that to happen. Ha.  But, seriously, mentioned last night and still it looks to be the case that the tele's are going neutral-ish and that sort of opens up the plausibility for relaxed thicknesses abused by hot season sun being deep in April.  So, we rain and misery that way, but it won't be cold - otherwise, a sunny day probably tickles 70 from D6.5 onward.   Even the EPS is sans the blues out there. 

Gotta change this bitch at some point...  July is still coming. And without a comet impact, super volcano or Hexagonal Trump-Putin-China nuclear winter ... there's nothing to assume this isn't just an under-the-radar crazy CC offset event that no one's really paying attention to.   Unrelenting look missed in January plagues mid spring on a hot world ?  almost comical

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

5/18/02?

I was living in Waltham at the time.  It was a Saturday? if memory serves... Nice coastal with CCB, and I remember peering out from the 3rd floor window of my apartment as sheets of white rain with the occasional noodle fatty were whipping by in sheets.  It looked like 85 to 90% rain, but that 10/15 percent's plenty to detect "floaty rain drops" And it was like 39 F there in that neighborhood above Moody Street where I was living. I remember geek-studying the wind-strewing sky for the tell-tail sign of the freezing level just off the deck and could clearly see the snow undulate form just failing to kiss the ground at that location.  Farther west in the interior had flipped to soaked cotton-balls...   I think it was 101 over July Fourth weekend that year too... man.   But, that was 1 month prior to the summer Solstice, without an occurrence in the previous 5 year climate uptake resembling significant volcanism and if anything, we were in solar max then ( check that...).     Pretty impressive... 

This NAM synopsis for the the day after tomorrow really shows a jolt back toward seasonality - and then some.  

Could be 31 to 33 in blue-dawn snows tomorrow in the interior ... up and down peoples' neighborhoods, then 63 to 66 over those same driveways circa 4pm the following day...  I wonder if we can lay down 6" and lose 6" inside of 30 hours - interesting...  

27 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This NAM synopsis for the the day after tomorrow really shows a jolt back toward seasonality - and then some.  

Could be 31 to 33 in blue-dawn snows tomorrow in the interior ... up and down peoples' neighborhoods, then 63 to 66 over those same driveways circa 4pm the following day...  I wonder if we can lay down 6" and lose 6" inside of 30 hours - interesting...  

And down 6 power poles in your neighborhood!

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We only need a FEW hours to lay down 6" and lose 6" here on the coast....in the dead of winter.  

What a winter pattern... I think this is what, day 4 or 5 of snow showers (even midday), traces of snow, etc.  

The persistent flurry of April, days and days.

Its not much but it’s a snow shower moving through like once an hour for what feels like days.  And not graupel , but like currier and Ives flakes.

9D350659-1172-4395-8F9C-FCE32B0D2727.thumb.jpeg.355fdee94cb5b606641b23fa5ffbb1be.jpeg

7 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

CMC is a weenie run .. shot at flakes 4/24 and legit snowstorm 4/26 

This model ... oy... Runs a patently warm bias all winter long than hits the cold profile throttle nearing May - ... 

Right when the GFS starts really heating up the extended, too.  pullin' 564 dm thickness to Boston for several days on end after D7 would support mid 70s if not 80 in good mixing, wind and sun ...right when the GGEM finally commits to winter -