Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

12 hours ago, Angus said:

Yeah, my relatives in Poland did not have power yesterday. The amount of out of state utility trucks on turnpike was crazy.

According to the news, CMP had 260k customers out at one point, and still 58k this morning (not us, fortunately - lights came on 3:30 yesterday afternoon.)  There were/are 100 CMP line crews plus 439 contracted from out of state and 122 tree service crews on the job.  Fortunately the outages were Maine-centered, not all of the Northeast like Jan 1998.

Edit, for PF:  Looks like that snow is stuck to the N/NW side of the trees, hiding from the spring sun.  :D

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

We greening in Weymouth. This effing site won’t let me load anything, but Norway maples are getting green buds, so leaf out maybe 2 weeks from now. 

The good news is if we get those winds it will blow all the flowers off. Less raking of helicopters later in the year.

19 minutes ago, kdxken said:

The good news is if we get those winds it will blow all the flowers off. Less raking of helicopters later in the year.

Something here has been dropping a powdery white pollen for over a week. The only trees I see any activity from are the aspen and pussy willows, but I’m not sure where it’s coming from. 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

According to the news, CMP had 260k customers out at one point, and still 58k this morning (not us, fortunately - lights came on 3:30 yesterday afternoon.)  There were/are 100 CMP line crews plus 439 contracted from out of state and 122 tree service crews on the job.  Fortunately the outages were Maine-centered, not all of the Northeast like Jan 1998.

Edit, for PF:  Looks like that snow is stuck to the N/NW side of the trees, hiding from the spring sun.  :D

That sucks for power out with all that is going on and Easter. 

Low level jet looks nice for tomorrow. But have to imagine the relatively stable atmosphere reduces the frequency of wind gusts mixing to the surface. In the heavy downpours...sure.  But just seems like these modeled southerly wind events don't often play out. We have better luck with strong CAA events than these southern ones.