Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I can (have someone else ;)) create an AWIPS smart tool using 925 wind, LR, and depth to spit out a wind gust forecast grid. It's a lot harder to calculate pressure gradient across an area and do the same thing. So that's what made picking the variables tough. But those three variables got me to about 80% of the variance in gusts. 

I mean those three are as good as it comes to a forecast for wind gusts. 

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Chris, has the NWS received new tools for wave heights and storm surge? I've noticed the BOX AFD reference guidance I never heard of. I think it's great to see several of these tools used to incorporate wave heights and surge guidance. 

Do you remember any specifically? 

We have National Blend waves now (which does include some Euro). They verify pretty well so far.

Surge we're fairly limited in GFE (ESTOFS or ETSS) but we can see others on the web and adjust forecasts accordingly. The Stevens Institute SNAP-EX model does pretty well. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Do you remember any specifically? 

We have National Blend waves now (which does include some Euro). They verify pretty well so far.

Surge we're fairly limited in GFE (ESTOFS or ETSS) but we can see others on the web and adjust forecasts accordingly. The Stevens Institute SNAP-EX model does pretty well. 

The Stevens Institute one.  Never heard of that.

2 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Radar looks like the rain keeps building right over my head.  Something to do with the flow over the Blue Hills?  Up to almost 1.9 since midnight, so well over 2 inches since it started yesterday.  :maprain::raining:

I think it's just land/sea covergence with help of the terrain. I've only had like 1.1" Most of the rain is to my SW. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mreaves said:

What town?  I had .5" - .75" here

Ha autocorrect issue in my post.

It was the Cabot station.  I saw 4” and was like wtf, then looked up the coordinates and it comes back to 2,000ft on a side road off RT 2.  Similar elevation to that App Gap VTrans Cam by Mad River Glen.

Its on that western side of the Orange to Sheffield Heights...real weenie spot that does decent westerly flow upslope on that secondary ridge out in NEK.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Ha autocorrect issue in my post.

It was the Cabot station.  I saw 4” and was like wtf, then looked up the coordinates and it comes back to 2,000ft on a side road off RT 2.  Similar elevation to that App Gap VTrans Cam by Mad River Glen.

Its on that western side of the Orange to Sheffield Heights...real weenie spot that does decent westerly flow upslope on that secondary ridge out in NEK.

That is a weenie spot.  The snow in there is pretty sweet most years.  It's one of my go to snowmobiling spots.  You get some great views of the White's too.

Kennebec flood warning posted at Skowhegan, though the forecast peak is only 101% of flood flow.  I guess if it rings the bell the warning gets posted, whether the overage is 400 cfs (like now) or 40,000.  If it crests at 35.4 up there, it's unlikely to reach flood stage in Augusta as the heaviest rain was on drainages north and west of Skowhegan.

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Toss that map all day.

Yeah the maps that use 925mb and above temps for snow work well in winter, but not in April when the lowest 1,500-2,000ft gets torched pretty easily.

In that verbatim solution it's likely 1,000ft+ for snows in the Greens/Whites.

Funny how the snow maps evolve with time of year too.  They are the same maps as January, but with very different environmental factors. 

P-Type algorthim's lol.  SFC temps never get below 34-35F.

Untitled.jpg.dd40b9ea8a4dc5e180fffb5694dc15f7.jpg