• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA Spring and Summer 2020 Thread

2 minutes ago, PghPirates27 said:

Fast moving too.. 70-80 mph. Storms were in Detroit a few hours ago.

Not only are they fast moving but the wind did not go down after the gust front went through. Winds pretty much were sustained with high gusts for 10 to 15 minutes or so. I'm sure there were gusts over 50 in spots.

Well that was an intense line, definitely one of the most dynamic cells I've witnessed since living here.  Tornado warning popped on the TV, but it wasn't really for us.  Hope you're all good up in New Kensington.  Twitter report said there was a tornado near Markle.

I was watching power flashes in the distance from my viewpoint.  Actually a lot of other strange lighting colors during the storm, as well.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT National Weather Service PITTSBURGH PA 851 AM EDT Wed Apr 8 2020 ...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT... The Pittsburgh International Airport recored a peak thunderstorm wind gust of 75 mph at 1:06 am this morning. This is the highest thunderstorm wind gust recorded at the airport based on data dating back to 1948.

12 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Power out here, tornado warning, roughest 10 minutes of weather I’ve witnessed in a long time. We ran to the basement with the kids when the tornado alerts went off.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT National Weather Service PITTSBURGH PA 121 PM EDT Wed Apr 8 2020 ...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR TARENTUM IN ALLEGHENY COUNTY... After further examination of radar data, the National Weather Service has confirmed the occurrence of a tornado last night in the area of Tarentum in Allegheny County, PA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT National Weather Service PITTSBURGH PA 851 AM EDT Wed Apr 8 2020 ...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT... The Pittsburgh International Airport recored a peak thunderstorm wind gust of 75 mph at 1:06 am this morning. This is the highest thunderstorm wind gust recorded at the airport based on data dating back to 1948.

Holy Sh*t!  Crazy storm.

7 hours ago, north pgh said:

Glad you’re ok. That wind was nasty. Our house was shaking.

Yeah it was crazy for sure. I saw the line of storms on radar, but when it hit it meant business. Within a few seconds it seemed to go from relative calm to hail banging of the windows and the power started flickering and then was out then about 45 seconds later both of our phones went off with the Wireless Emergency Alert for a Tornado Warning. I ran and looked out the kitchen window to a sight I have never witnessed since living here. Already the roar was was incredible from the wind and I said get the kids and get downstairs now, this is for real.

There was probably a 45 second period where the sound was so deep, as they say almost like a freight train. We could hear the deck furniture start sliding and them slamming off the rail and then almost as quickly as the whole thing started the wind died down (relatively speaking) and it was done. I'm thinking that period was probably the tornado at its closest proximity but can't be sure.

We were lucky, very little damage. Ripped off a downspout and the chimney cap, lots of branches etc but the biggest thing the kids trampoline was blown into the trees and got mangled up pretty bad. The other bad thing is we were without power for about 12-13 hours so most of the food in the refrigerator was lost.

I think I'm good on severe weather now, I'd be good with saving all the "interesting" weather for the upcoming winter season. :lol:

1 hour ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

We got an inch of snow on the grass and deck in Cranberry.  Looking at my weather cam footage most of it fell between 4 and 5 AM.  Streets are just wet.

Pretty intense snow squall moving through here right now. Some pretty strong gusts and brief whiteout. Even managed to briefly whiten the roads. What a week of weather, 70s, tornado, snow squalls, par for the course for western PA spring I guess lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

The pocket of dry air we've been under is very impressive.

Had his been a legit snowstorm threat, the meltdowns would be understandable. Lol

Be optimistic. 6 months from now we will be getting ready to track winter storms again. haha. Maybe 2020-2021 will be our year of the big snowstorm or 2 . We are due! :)

On 4/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, MikeB_01 said:

From November through April. A perpetual state of 40°

That’s what I was just saying to my wife, fall / winter / spring have basically merged into one 6 month period of blah. 

I just saw this article in the Trib, nothing surprising and pretty much predicts what we have been saying. PA Climate Story

We will of course still get snow, but it will take an increasingly anomalous pattern as we proceed into the future. It is crazy to see some of the short term effects of the drops in pollution due to COVID-19 stay at home stuff. It’s too bad we don’t have a way to feasibly cut it like this indefinitely.

An abstract macabre thought... maybe COVID-19 is actually the planets immune system trying to eliminate a virus.. us! Yeah the quarantine is probably starting to affect my mental state. :lol:

10 hours ago, jwilson said:

We've had a trace of snow in May twice since 2000 ('01-'02 & '15-'16).. let's go for a third.

Looks like snow for Mother’s Day weekend is possible... :wacko:

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
Dry and cool conditions resume Thursday before another shortwave
returns rain chances Friday and Saturday. Models are in above average
agreement with heights and temperatures aloft heading into the
weekend...with values 2-3 standard deviations below normal and 30
year return intervals. By Saturday morning 540 thickness is as far
south as the carolinas and h850 temps over the forecast area will be
between -7 and -8C. Although sfc temperatures will be above freezing
during the day precipitation should be all snow based off temps
aloft. Breaks in the clouds and May insolation should result in at
least a marginal amount of sfc based CAPE given the cold air aloft
(convective temps will be in the low 40s)...and that with a saturated
DGZ there could be brief periods snow intensity high enough to get
some measurable amounts (higher than a trace) during the day before
melting. The last time in PGH where May snow was anything more than a
trace was 1966, and measured snow greater than a trace has only
occurred six time in the period of record.

Early morning temperatures in the extended will be abnormally cold;
frost/freeze headlines may be needed if current model trends
continue.