• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

On 6/11/2020 at 1:24 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Man, this virus can really really mess your body up...it left holes in her lungs...she was in her 20s. 

https://apnews.com/90f342e73117fc9fa7f2b0e443d40941?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=APHealthScience

If this were happening to a significant amount of relatively healthy people, I'd be more concerned.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 1:23 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Didn't you take the test back in March and test negative? But now you're positive for antibodies. These tests must be really inaccurate. 

An antibody test wouldn't be as effective so close to the actual illness. I've seen recommendations taking it 2 weeks after symptoms disappear.

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

Where can one get an antibody test for COVID?

I was at the Tops on University Plaza on Friday. Healthcare workers were offering free antibody tests. I would guess that the county health department would have more info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I would like to take the antibody test too. Where can I get this in around Hamburg? 

There were many locations available in Rochester starting in early May and there was virtually no wait.  I called, made the appointment and got the test a few hours later.  The wife and I both got tested and both were negative, boooo.  A quick google search seems to show locations in the Buffalo area.  The test is covered if you have insurance under the CARES act.  

• Like 1

What we all have to look forward to when everything goes back to normal. I wonder if the AC aiding in spreading the virus around example from China relates to this . We really need a vaccine. I bet we see lots of examples of this happening the next few months and quite a few places will likely have to shut down again before being cleared to reopen.

Woman, 15 friends test positive for coronavirus after night out at Lynch’s

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/06/15/woman-15-friends-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-night-out-at-lynchs/

30 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Its amazing how people are still scared to go outside. The media is really brainwashing people.

I know plenty of people who will not go outside even when NYC goes into phase 2 and 3.

They want a vaccine.

Thats a weird take.  What exactly has changed?  The disease is still just as dangerous, still just as contagious, still no good treatment.  People are just getting bored and reckless.  The people you speak of are critical thinkers who understand risk and have patience.  The phases don't mean any less risk if you catch this, just a slightly lower chance of being infected. 

Also, aren't you the guy who continually posted updates over and over with the new numbers, basically acting as an arm of media and spreading the fear among this group?

5 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Thats a weird take.  What exactly has changed?  The disease is still just as dangerous, still just as contagious, still no good treatment.  People are just getting bored and reckless.  The people you speak of are critical thinkers who understand risk and have patience.  The phases don't mean any less risk if you catch this, just a slightly lower chance of being infected. 

Also, aren't you the guy who continually posted updates over and over with the new numbers, basically acting as an arm of media and spreading the fear among this group?

Things have changed

NY is doing great

People can't be locked in their homes forever 

I guess everyone has a different experience. I can say that in my circles people are starting to think this was all way overblown. Look at how many people were waiting to shop at home goods this week. Restaurants are sporting hour plus wait times. Looking good for the economy locally as long as there isn’t a giant wave that sends everyone running. 

12 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

I guess everyone has a different experience. I can say that in my circles people are starting to think this was all way overblown. Look at how many people were waiting to shop at home goods this week. Restaurants are sporting hour plus wait times. Looking good for the economy locally as long as there isn’t a giant wave that sends everyone running. 

Was it overblown though? Or was it not as bad as it could have been because of the shutdowns/extreme social distancing at the time when the virus was the most contagious and had the highest Infection Rate in this part of the country? If we had not taken such extreme measures when this thing was raging through NYC and spreading rapidly across the NE would things have likely been much much worse? I’m not saying that it wasn’t overblown at all but it’s easy to look back now and say the measures that we’re in place were overblown because it didn’t turn out to be as bad as predicted/or could have been when in fact those things are possibly what kept this from being to the point we all feared it could be where these measures would have seemed justified. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Was it overblown though? Or was it not as bad as it could have been because of the shutdowns/extreme social distancing at the time when the virus was the most contagious and had the highest Infection Rate in this part of the country? If we had not taken such extreme measures when this thing was raging through NYC and spreading rapidly across the NE would things have likely been much much worse? I’m not saying that it wasn’t overblown at all but it’s easy to look back now and say the measures that we’re in place were overblown because it didn’t turn out to be as bad as predicted/or could have been when in fact those things are possibly what kept this from being to the point we all feared it could be where these measures would have seemed justified. 

I think we reacted too strongly, but that's just my opinion. The whole idea of flattening the curve was to prevent hospitals from becoming over run, and at least locally they never even came close. We wont know for sure until at least a year from now and what financial state the world is in.

6 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

It’s pretty clear that a high degree of compliance of mask use makes a huge difference. The story of the Great Cuts in Missouri, where two COVID-19 positive hair stylists cut 70-80 people’s hair over a few days and had 0 transmissions, apparently because of their mask use, may an anecdote but strongly reinforces our local experience that masks save lives.

People who won’t wear masks because of politics are already contributing to infection waves in many states.

If mask use could have saved us the shutdown, then we made a huge mistake. But even in a pandemic, many people refuse to wear them when it is optional, so in that sense a shutdown might have been necessary (or even unavoidable).

And when we are talking about the toll this disease has taken, it’s not just about deaths of old people. There’s growing evidence that mild cases can cause organ damage. We don’t understand the true cost of a hands-off approach for years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WNash said:

It’s pretty clear that a high degree of compliance of mask use makes a huge difference. The story of the Great Cuts in Missouri, where two COVID-19 positive hair stylists cut 70-80 people’s hair over a few days and had 0 transmissions, apparently because of their mask use, may an anecdote but strongly reinforces our local experience that masks save lives.

People who won’t wear masks because of politics are already contributing to infection waves in many states.

If mask use could have saved us the shutdown, then we made a huge mistake. But even in a pandemic, many people refuse to wear them when it is optional, so in that sense a shutdown might have been necessary (or even unavoidable).

And when we are talking about the toll this disease has taken, it’s not just about deaths of old people. There’s growing evidence that mild cases can cause organ damage. We don’t understand the true cost of a hands-off approach for years.

Don’t forget masks were in severely short supply until sometime in April. No one could get their hands on any type of masks not even doctors/hospitals. The state had to buy whatever masks they could at inflated prices as did many other states with some states even buying the KN95 masks from other countries just to have something. 

• Like 2

My girlfriend is a big believer in earthing now lol About 7 years ago she developed a blood clot in her leg which went to her lungs and sent her to the ICU for 8 days.. She almost died at 26 years old, well anyway even though she no longer has a clot in her calf she still gets quite a bit of pain as her calf was stretched out and swollen, still to this day..She came to be last night and raved how her leg feels as good as it has since before the blood clot, no swelling, tightness or any pain..She now wants to get more earthing products lol It has also improved her asthma as well as her eczema..No way the mind can fix a skin condition lol

Even my pup gravitates towards the earthing mat all the time, like she knows lol

IMG_20200622_103901.jpg.74b9d1eba8a2baf3

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

My girlfriend is a big believer in earthing now lol About 7 years ago she developed a blood clot in her leg which went to her lungs and sent her to the ICU for 8 days.. She almost died at 26 years old, well anyway even though she no longer has a clot in her calf she still gets quite a bit of pain as her calf was stretched out and swollen, still to this day..She came to be last night and raved how her leg feels as good as it has since before the blood clot, no swelling, tightness or any pain..She now wants to get more earthing products lol It has also improved her asthma as well as her eczema..No way the mind can fix a skin condition lol

Even my pup gravitates towards the earthing mat all the time, like she knows lol

IMG_20200622_103901.jpg.74b9d1eba8a2baf3

My pets can definitely feel the energy lol

IMG_20200622_132816.jpg.66ec85724934468f

Major League Baseball plans to hold a 60-game season that will begin around July 24 but first needs players to sign off on a health-and-safety protocol and to pledge to arrive at home stadiums by July 1 to prepare for the season, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

The league's owners voted to implement a 60-game season on Monday, hours after the MLB Players Association rejected a 60-game proposal that would have included an expanded postseason and other ancillary salary bumps.

After nearly three months of fruitless negotiations, MLB opted to use the right given to it in the parties' March 26 agreement to impose a schedule of its desired length. By choosing a season of 60 games, the league will pack in about as many games as it can through Sept. 27, the league's self-imposed cutoff for the regular season.

Additionally, the 60-game season could serve as a buffer against a grievance by the MLBPA, which in the case of a potential implementation has been expected to charge that the league did not fulfill its duty to complete as full a season as possible. The league could file a grievance against the union as well.

Multiple players told ESPN that they expect to agree to the league's call to report by July 1 and to its health-and-safety protocol, with executive subcommittee member Andrew Miller telling ESPN, "We are ready to get back on the field."

If the players do, it would end a tortuous path to a return-to-play agreement in a typically confusing way: with the players rejecting a proposal, only to have one of the same length implemented.

After commissioner Rob Manfred flew to the Phoenix area to meet with union executive director Tony Clark last Tuesday, the league believed it had the framework of a deal in place. But union members balked at the 60-game framework and proposed 70 games plus a larger chunk of postseason bonus money than the $25 million the league was offering, as well as a cut of TV revenue from playoff expansion in 2021.

Owners were livid. They rejected the proposal and asked players to consider the original 60-game framework. On Monday evening, the players rejected it by a 33-5 vote, setting the stage for the implementation.

"Needless to say, we are disappointed by this development,'' MLB said in a statement. "The framework provided an opportunity for MLB and its players to work together to confront the difficulties and challenges presented by the pandemic. It gave our fans the chance to see an exciting new postseason format. And, it offered players significant benefits.''

The union earlier had suggested that the league implementing a schedule was the next step, saying in a statement: "While we had hoped to reach a revised back to work agreement with the league, the Players remain fully committed to proceeding under our current agreement and getting back on the field for the fans, for the game, and for each other."

In its statement, the league asked that the union provide two pieces of information by 5 p.m. ET Tuesday: whether players will be able to report to training by July 1 and whether the union "will agree on the Operating Manual which contains the health and safety protocols necessary to give us the best opportunity to conduct and complete our regular season and Postseason."

Under imposition, the deal is spare. Players would receive the full prorated share of their salaries -- about 37% of their full-season salaries and $1.5 billion total. The postseason would remain at 10 teams. Players would not receive forgiveness on the $170 million salary advance they received as part of the March agreement and would get no money from the postseason. Players would not agree to wearing on-field microphones. Teams would not wear advertising patches on their uniforms. The universal designated hitter likely would remain in place, as it's part of the health-and-safety protocol.

By rejecting the 60-game framework, the players retained their right to grieve the terms of the March agreement between the two sides. After spring training was shut down in March because of the coronavirus pandemic, the league and the players agreed that when play picked up, players would be paid on a prorated basis and would discuss the economic feasibility of playing without fans in the stands. The players' association maintained that discussion had nothing to do with their pay, and the disagreement led to months of acrimony between the sides.

The union delayed its vote on the league's latest proposal in order to collect new data regarding testing for COVID-19 after several recent outbreaks at training facilities in Florida and Arizona and in major league cities, sources told ESPN. All MLB training camps were temporarily closed after multiple teams reported positive tests on Friday, and the league announced Saturday that a restart of training would occur only in teams' home cities. The players then delayed the vote again Sunday, sources said, after Manfred made late tweaks to the proposal, offering in an email to Clark to cancel expanded playoffs and the universal designated hitter for 2021 if 50 games weren't played in 2020.

With implementation, that is all moot. What isn't is that after all this time, Major League Baseball finally looks like it will try to have a season.

The old lady is trying to transfer her job into a Poconos location lol If she succeeds my stay in NJ will be a short one lol Probably look into buying a condo in mount pocono.. Kind of the best of both worlds, a lot closer to family and friends but still plenty of "upstate feel" with a little jersey flavor..At about 2000 feet asl the summers are much cooler and the winters quite a bit snowier then NJ..I guess we'll have to wait and see lol

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

The old lady is trying to transfer her job into a Poconos location lol If she succeeds my stay in NJ will be a short one lol Probably look into buying a condo in mount pocono.. Kind of the best of both worlds, a lot closer to family and friends but still plenty of "upstate feel" with a little jersey flavor..At about 2000 feet asl the summers are much cooler and the winters quite a bit snowier then NJ..I guess we'll have to wait and see lol

Sounds like a nice balance.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic