• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Just now, rochesterdave said:

I’ll never understand why you guys appreciate this about Trump. You should dig deep and evaluate why it brings you joy when he brings anguish to others. It’s the one thing I hate most about the movement. It’s sadism. 

Where did I say it brings me joy see him bring anguish to others?

Additionally, poking the bear and "staying relevant" by doing something as nonsensical as making sure his name is on a check doesn't exactly bring anguish to others. If anyone felt anguish its because they jumped to conclusions about how much money it would cost to do so or that it would delay their check.

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

Where did I say it brings me joy see him bring anguish to others?

Additionally, poking the bear and "staying relevant" by doing something as nonsensical as making sure his name is on a check doesn't exactly bring anguish to others. If anyone felt anguish its because they jumped to conclusions about how much money it would cost to do so or that it would delay their check.

When you said that he’s “pretty good at ruffling feathers”, I thought it was a compliment in a way. I apologize if I misinterpreted your meaning. 
There are lots of supporters who find enjoyable sport out of “owning the libs”, you disapprove? 

Just now, rochesterdave said:

When you said that he’s “pretty good at ruffling feathers”, I thought it was a compliment in a way. I apologize if I misinterpreted your meaning. 
There are lots of supporters who find enjoyable sport out of “owning the libs”, you disapprove? 

Ya I'm not a fan of "owning the libs". What I am a fan of is truth and understanding the why behind things. So him getting his name put on the checks was just silly, but I understand why he did it. Its an election year, and he wants to win. 

Not good for WNY. We were previously meeting 5/7 criteria for reopening. Now we’re only meeting 4/7. Not only did they just reset the 14 day decrease in hospitalizations yesterday so that we’re now at 0 again but today they removed the green check mark and gave us an “X” for decrease in deaths, just as I had feared they would last week as we’ve seen an increase over the last 2 weeks of deaths. Not the way we want to be going right now. There’s virtually no way we open this month now.

E86CB1AF-F70E-4EE6-AFF5-669598DCB268.jpeg

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

Not good for WNY. We were previously meeting 5/7 criteria for reopening. Now we’re only meeting 4/7. Not only did they just reset the 14 day decrease in hospitalizations yesterday so that we’re now at 0 again but today they removed the green check mark and gave us an “X” for decrease in deaths, just as I had feared they would last week as we’ve seen an increase over the last 2 weeks of deaths. Not the way we want to be going right now. There’s virtually no way we open this month now.

E86CB1AF-F70E-4EE6-AFF5-669598DCB268.jpeg

Yeah I highly doubt we get to phase 4 before Sep 1st. And then flu season starts in conjunction with COVID. We may never see an open gym again. 

Our only hope is what Wisconsin did. They are now fully open.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/politics/wisconsin-supreme-court-strikes-down-stay-at-home-order/index.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

It actually fits, to a T, every defender of Trump. The guys a con man, a liar, a phony. 
I can respect lots of divergent opinions (I’m even open to being influenced), but at this point, I can’t respect anyone who defends Trump. I just cant. 
Today he’s accusing the past President of treason....

Listen, I defend every POTUS as a US citizen, period. What I DON'T defend are the policies I don't agree with (for any POTUS) nor do I defend Pres Trump's childish antics and narcissistic ways. With that said, he's ROCKED our political system to the core (which is a good thing), bringing a lot of junk to the surface (another good thing), yet has also brought out a lot of petty stuff in the process (which I don't blame him solely as people make their own choices, but he does hold some responsibility).

Is he the perfect leader? No. Is he a perfect person? Not in the slightest. Has he done good things for the US in his 4 years? Many, in my opinion (we can debate this all day long if you'd like).

Can we now redirect this thread to COVID focused and not Pres Trump focused?

27 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

@Luke_Mages

New York is a pretty healthy state in comparison to most, I'm quite surprised by this.

https://www.consumerprotect.com/hot-topics/worst-eating-and-exercise-habits-in-america/

That’s a cool article. I wonder how much NYC is carrying upstate. Whenever visiting I feel like I need to hit the gym harder. Same goes for S Beach...

32 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Lots of juicers in Cali and Florida though. Hard to compare.

The border is remaining closed until minimum late June now though it also separates two different reopening plans. Ontario just announced were about 90% open now. All construction, storefront retail, marinas, golf, tennis, indoor/outdoor sport facilities in general (no gyms) Libraries can reopen to pick up/drop off, on and on. Lol even maid service is back for those who can afford it. 

Essentially just malls, restaurants, gyms and movie theatres remain fully closed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

Listen, I defend every POTUS as a US citizen, period. What I DON'T defend are the policies I don't agree with (for any POTUS) nor do I defend Pres Trump's childish antics and narcissistic ways. With that said, he's ROCKED our political system to the core (which is a good thing), bringing a lot of junk to the surface (another good thing), yet has also brought out a lot of petty stuff in the process (which I don't blame him solely as people make their own choices, but he does hold some responsibility).

Is he the perfect leader? No. Is he a perfect person? Not in the slightest. Has he done good things for the US in his 4 years? Many, in my opinion (we can debate this all day long if you'd like).

Can we now redirect this thread to COVID focused and not Pres Trump focused?

I can see how some people see what he has done as a necessary shake-up of a corrupt system, but what absolutely confuses me is how those same people won’t hold him accountable for obvious self-dealing and genuine graft, both personally and by his administration. He has replaced one swamp with a far worse swamp, a morass of uncontrolled corruption. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

The border is remaining closed until minimum late June now though it also separates two different reopening plans. Ontario just announced were about 90% open now. All construction, storefront retail, marinas, golf, tennis, indoor/outdoor sport facilities in general (no gyms) Libraries can reopen to pick up/drop off, on and on. Lol even maid service is back for those who can afford it. 

Essentially just malls, restaurants, gyms and movie theatres remain fully closed. 

So border opens in time for July 4th you think? Around that time?

The writing is on the wall. The public will no longer tolerate complete shut downs. We shall see where this takes us. 
I’m so sick of this. I feel horrible for my elderly mom who basically lived to play bridge- her entire social circle was it. At this rate, she’ll never play again. 
People suggest playing online but it really isn’t anywhere near the same thing. She plays to be near people- to chat and laugh. She sees her life as pretty much over. 

• Sad 5

Sorry to hear that Dave:( Hopefully an eventual vaccine can get the elderly back to normal living..

I went to the convenience store last night and probably half the people weren't wearing mask, big change from previous times going..I guess it's a false sense of security..I myself as well as my GF continue to wear masks and will do so as long as we see fit...

Her job is only taking back one of the 4 people laid off on a part time basis (as of now),they will also be continuing to enforce social distancing, wearing mask and limit the amount of people inside at one time..

21 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

The writing is on the wall. The public will no longer tolerate complete shut downs. We shall see where this takes us. 
I’m so sick of this. I feel horrible for my elderly mom who basically lived to play bridge- her entire social circle was it. At this rate, she’ll never play again. 
People suggest playing online but it really isn’t anywhere near the same thing. She plays to be near people- to chat and laugh. She sees her life as pretty much over. 

I’m sorry to hear about your mother. My mother lives 1000 miles away, halfway between her two sons. She has one grandchild, my toddler daughter. She’s 78, and she’s terrified she’ll never get to see her again. So she’s in the opposite position from your mom, willingly isolated and trying to avoid exposure to give doctors time to develop treatment protocols and researchers time to develop a vaccine. I have tried to get her to move up here with us, but she is reluctant to isolate her other son (no kids, divorced) in Texas.

This is almost unimaginable.. Millionaires ruining their lives...They drove off in Lamborghini and BMW lol Not like they needed the money..

Warrants have been issued for the arrests of New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker and Seattle Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar by the Miramar, Florida police department stemming from an incident that occurred Wednesday, May 13. Baker has been charged with four counts of armed robbery with a firearm and four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm while Dunbar has been charged with four counts of armed robbery. 

Per the police report, Baker took money and watches from the victims and with force and was armed with a semi-automatic firearm. Dunbar was assisting Baker in taking the money and valuables from the attendees at a party in Miramar, Broward County. The pair were allegedly hanging at a cookout when an argument ensued, resulting in Baker revealing a semi-automatic firearm. Baker allegedly Baker directed a third member, wearing a red mask, to shoot a person who entered the party -- but the gun was not fired. 

Both Baker and Dunbar are believed to have taken over three timepieces -- including an $18,000 Rolex watch and a Hublot worth $25,000. Baker and Dunbar also took over $7,000 in cash. Two affiants did not see Dunbar with a firearm but one said the opposite.

• Confused 1

The thing is we may never get a vaccine. It is far from a guarantee and if I had to wager a percentage I would say its more likely we don't get a vaccine, and if we do its not effective or has worst side effects then the actual virus. So we either hope for the virus to mutate into a less contagious and less deadly virus which is definitely possible as viruses are constantly mutating or we develop herd immunity. Or another possible option is develop treatment for the symptoms,  a band aid to help people get through the worst symptoms. 

• Like 2

This is really interesting. Since the coronavirus is a similar strain to the common cold the majority of us may already be immune to it.

This recent paper surprisingly demonstrated that non-exposed Covid individuals had reactive T cells to various regions of SARS-CoV2 including the spike protein. The possibility exists that prior exposure to colds caused by other coronaviruses may confer some T cell cross-reactive immunity to Covid. Some are speculating (not in this paper) those with T cell responses may be the asymptomatic people walking around. Alex Sette, the last author in this Cell paper is highly regarded in his field of epitope mapping and T cell immunology. I used to work for him. He is quite brilliant.

https://www.cell.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0092-8674(20)30610-3

image.png.e69b3fb3c929e8fc4ba4d29a32e29b2c.png

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The thing is we may never get a vaccine. It is far from a guarantee and if I had to wager a percentage I would say its more likely we don't get a vaccine, and if we do its not effective or has worst side effects then the actual virus. So we either hope for the virus to mutate into a less contagious and less deadly virus which is definitely possible as viruses are constantly mutating or we develop herd immunity. Or another possible option is develop treatment for the symptoms,  a band aid to help people get through the worst symptoms. 

Herd immunity without vaccine has an extremely high death toll, literally millions in the US alone. Moreover, it’s getting very clear that the sequelae of COVID-19 even among healthy young people are often devastating — stroke, kidney and heart disease, possible Kawasaki syndrome in kids, and other as yet unknown long term problems — and are not captured in the fatality rate. This is not remotely comparable to the flu. This is a good explanation of the problem of herd immunity with no vaccine: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/without-a-vaccine-herd-immunity-wont-save-us/amp/.

A vaccine that is at least partially effective has a good likelihood of relative success at creating herd immunity. Simply reducing the severity would be a huge step forward, and researches are moving different kinds of vaccines — mRNA, attenuated, inactivated, etc. — may be combined for increased potency.

And treatment protocols have already been revised and are showing preliminary success. I’d be much happier about re-opening society of the death rate were cut by 75% and the long term effects were controlled.

There’s plenty of wealth to support a better than subsistence existence for everyone in the US, but it’s not only being hoarded by a tiny number of extremely greedy people, but this crisis is being used by those same people to even *further* concentrate wealth. Why else would capital markets be made more or less whole, while everyone else has to eat shit? And of course the real elites are encouraging us peons to fight each other for the right to die a horrible death as a result of making more money for them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is really interesting. Since the coronavirus is a similar strain to the common cold the majority of us may already be immune to it.

This recent paper surprisingly demonstrated that non-exposed Covid individuals had reactive T cells to various regions of SARS-CoV2 including the spike protein. The possibility exists that prior exposure to colds caused by other coronaviruses may confer some T cell cross-reactive immunity to Covid. Some are speculating (not in this paper) those with T cell responses may be the asymptomatic people walking around. Alex Sette, the last author in this Cell paper is highly regarded in his field of epitope mapping and T cell immunology. I used to work for him. He is quite brilliant.

https://www.cell.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0092-8674(20)30610-3

image.png.e69b3fb3c929e8fc4ba4d29a32e29b2c.png

This is very cool, and gives me some hope. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, WNash said:

There’s plenty of wealth to support a better than subsistence existence for everyone in the US, but it’s not only being hoarded by a tiny number of extremely greedy people, but this crisis is being used by those same people to even *further* concentrate wealth. Why else would capital markets be made more or less whole, while everyone else has to eat shit? And of course the real elites are encouraging us peons to fight each other for the right to die a horrible death as a result of making more money for them.

You're correct on there being plenty of wealth here in the US...but what about the rest of the world? Shutting down the worlds largest economy is brutal to the rest of the world that doesn't have the wealth to sustain populations for the next year waiting for a vaccine or new treatments.

Lets say we were able to instantly capture all of the wealth that the 1% have (mind you most of this is in investments) and redistribute to the other 99%. That effectively doubles the net wealth of the 99%. How long can you go without a job if your net wealth were doubled right now? The giant influx of buying power would cause inflation to explode as youre now competing with everyone else who just doubled their net worth.

16 hours ago, WNash said:

I can see how some people see what he has done as a necessary shake-up of a corrupt system, but what absolutely confuses me is how those same people won’t hold him accountable for obvious self-dealing and genuine graft, both personally and by his administration. He has replaced one swamp with a far worse swamp, a morass of uncontrolled corruption. 

I don't support corruption of any kind, political, professional, personal, etc. Let the law of the land expose corruption and apply judgement as the founding fathers intended. You or I don't have the absolute truth, knowledge, or authority. All else is biased opinion.

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

I don't support corruption of any kind, political, professional, personal, etc. Let the law of the land expose corruption and apply judgement as the founding fathers intended. You or I don't have the absolute truth, knowledge, or authority. All else is biased opinion.

I agree, but the executive branch’s extreme secrecy and rejection of any and all oversight is about as far from what the founding fathers intended as can be imagined.

For example, emoluments are explicitly banned by the Constitution, but this administration is fighting accountability for emoluments at every turn: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/14/trump-to-ask-supreme-court-to-stop-emoluments-lawsuit.html

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic