• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Do all vaccine side effects show up within 6 weeks, or are some months/years in the future? For instance measles, ebola, polio? 

Idk. But here you can watch this and see what you think. He said the vast majority of them would show up early. Plus, I think you have to consider what the chance of getting sick and dying from covid as being likely much higher probability than a theoretical vaccine side effect. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NY always has a deficit because of the insane lifelong pensions we give to government/state employees. I see people come in my office with those pensions all the time. Its INSANE what these people get after 20 years of working. No other state is even close to what New York gives out. 

I need to correct you because you obviously don’t know how the NYS Pension System is funded.  I am a retired state employee having been an engineer for the NYSDOT for 37 years.  Our pensions do not come out of the general state budget.  The pension fund is a separate fund mandated in the state constitution.  It is managed by the state comptroller and as of the latest report had a value of $226 billion.  It is the third largest public pension fund in the US and is consistently in the top 3 or 4 well funded plans.  Our pensions were won through collective bargaining.  As a whole state employees are not paid as well as their private sector counterparts.  Our pensions even the playing field after we retire.  And if you are vested in the system you can collect a pension when you retire but to maximize benefits you need 30 years, not 20 as you stated and be at least 55.  So don’t blame the pension system for state budget deficits.

https://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/2020/11/nys-common-retirement-fund-reports-second-quarter-results

22 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I need to correct you because you obviously don’t know how the NYS Pension System is funded.  I am a retired state employee having been an engineer for the NYSDOT for 37 years.  Our pensions do not come out of the general state budget.  The pension fund is a separate fund mandated in the state constitution.  It is managed by the state comptroller and as of the latest report had a value of $226 billion.  It is the third largest public pension fund in the US and is consistently in the top 3 or 4 well funded plans.  Our pensions were won through collective bargaining.  As a whole state employees are not paid as well as their private sector counterparts.  Our pensions even the playing field after we retire.  And if you are vested in the system you can collect a pension when you retire but to maximize benefits you need 30 years, not 20 as you stated and be at least 55.  So don’t blame the pension system for state budget deficits.

https://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/2020/11/nys-common-retirement-fund-reports-second-quarter-results

Where does the money come from for the pensions, clearly not out of your paycheck. As it would be impossible to retire in 25 years with 10% contributions and 4k a month pension for life.

This is not all true. Police officers retire in 20 years, corrections officers 25 years, my friend at UB retires in 30 with full pension and is similar to the teachers pension.

The public industry makes more then the private unless you're in high level manangement in the private sector or highly specialized field. Almost every cop I know in Buffalo is pulling well over 6 figures a year. Town cops in Amherst/Hamburg close to 150k.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Where does the money come from for the pensions, clearly not out of your paycheck. As it would be impossible to retire in 25 years with 10% contributions and 4k a month pension for life.

This is not all true. Police officers retire in 20 years, corrections officers 25 years, my friend at UB retires in 30 with full pension and is similar to the teachers pension.

The public industry makes more then the private unless you're in high level manangement in the private sector or highly specialized field. Almost every cop I know in Buffalo is pulling well over 6 figures a year. Town cops in Amherst/Hamburg close to 150k.

Exactly.....if you look at how much would have to be saved in a 401K to provide the rich retirement benefits state employees enjoy, you're looking at 7 figure amounts.

That's coming from the taxpayers pocket.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cny rider said:

Exactly.....if you look at how much would have to be saved in a 401K to provide the rich retirement benefits state employees enjoy, you're looking at 7 figure amounts.

That's coming from the taxpayers pocket.

Also public employees compensation is public knowledge. You can go on the state compensation website to look at salaries. This article is from 2017 and pay rates are much higher this year. Obviously some of this includes OT, but still you should not be making 500k a year as a cop.

"Local cops in towns and counties around New York state are robbing taxpayers blind with astronomical yearly salaries — including one officer who pulled down $442,000, a new report shows."

Twenty-five of the top 50 earning workers hailed from the Nassau County PD, where the average salary was $150,000. The top earner there last year, Lt. Thomas Karp, made $333,345.

None of them, however, topped the highest paid officer in the NYPD, who made $640,000 in 2016.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/13/cops-massive-salaries-are-robbing-taxpayers-blind/

Here is one about engineers working for the states salaries. From 2016

A new report has revealed that a New York City Department of Environmental Protection worker received more than $500,000 in pay in one year — almost half of which was overtime money. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6247055/New-York-sewer-engineer-earned-500k-year-nearly-half-overtime-pay.html

You work 20-25 years. Making 250k+ a year and retire with full health benefits and a pension of 5-6k per month...Must be nice.

2 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Is this a joke?  The man said just yesterday that we’re not living in enough fear to stay alive.  

6B69EE6D-ED93-492C-88E2-06586CF168D7.jpeg

His book is a top 10 best seller. Should be entitled how to profit from others pain and misery. And also how to have the most amount of deaths of any states by far.

Just now, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Is this a joke?  The man said just yesterday that we’re not living in enough fear to stay alive.  

6B69EE6D-ED93-492C-88E2-06586CF168D7.jpeg

Believe it or not a lot of people out of state love cuomo lol Just look at his press conferences on youtube, people all over the country wishing he was their governor lol

We were ambushed by this disease, told not to wear mask and saved them for health care workers..He did the best he could, yes he fooked up with the nursing home fiasco..But his daily briefings during that time he showed care, heart, empathy, knowledge and he doesn't let trump bully him..Many people liked that lol

People loved him because of how vocal he was against Trumps response to the outbreak in his state.  

Just my opinion but his comments yesterday are going to cause more people to ignore protocols and cause additional spread over the holiday.  Talking down like he did to a stressed out population isn’t going to suddenly make them follow you, it’s going to cause them to do everything you tell them not to do.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

We were ambushed by this disease, told not to wear mask and saved them for health care workers..He did the best he could, yes he fooked up with the nursing home fiasco..But his daily briefings during that time he showed care, heart, empathy, knowledge and he doesn't let trump bully him..Many people liked that lol

No he’s just always been a prick to upstate NY, especially Buffalo.  I’ll never forget Snovember when he came to town, held a presser where he yelled at us and blamed the slow recovery on citizens not staying off the roads... “when I say the roads are closed... the roads are closed” yeah and then he followed that presser by having his convoy take him up onto the 90 so he could shake hands with the stranded truck drivers and hug the kids stuck in buses.  Same then as it is now.  The rules apply to YOU but not to ME!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

No he’s just always been a prick to upstate NY, especially Buffalo.  I’ll never forget Snovember when he came to town, held a presser where he yelled at us and blamed the slow recovery on citizens not staying off the roads... “when I say the roads are closed... the roads are closed” yeah and then he followed that presser by having his convoy take him up onto the 90 so he could shake hands with the stranded truck drivers and hug the kids stuck in buses.  Same then as it is now.  The rules apply to YOU but not to ME!

Hey man I understand your gripe lol I'm obviously a little different since I grew up in NYC and have a slight connection to the cuomo family.. Everyone is allowed to have their opinion and I respect it!!

43 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I'm a Cuomo fan for the most part but I do remember being super pissed when he tried to blame the NWS in Buffalo for failing to forecast this event.  They forecasted it just fine,  there is just nothing you can do when it snows 6 feet in a day.  It's going to be a shit show regardless..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I'm a Cuomo fan for the most part but I do remember being super pissed when he tried to blame the NWS in Buffalo for failing to forecast this event.  They forecasted it just fine,  there is just nothing you can do when it snows 6 feet in a day.  It's going to be a shit show regardless..

The guy did communicate a lot during the first wave which is good for the public to hear, but he is just such a prick.  Hate Trump for the way he talks to people, but obey me when I talk to you in that manner.  A leader isn’t going to gain a following the way he acts.  You need to motivate the people not put them down.  This is why 4 years ago we put a guy like Trump in office.  The state, county, and city governments here are such corrupt jokes.  If not for family ties I would have left this state years ago. 

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Believe it or not a lot of people out of state love cuomo lol Just look at his press conferences on youtube, people all over the country wishing he was their governor lol

They're oblivious to what's happened to the state under Cuomo. Many like him solely because of their experience of his response during Lockdown #1..which was media propaganda to make him look like a savior.

9 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

They're oblivious to what's happened to the state under Cuomo. Many like him solely because of their experience of his response during Lockdown #1..which was media propaganda to make him look like a savior.

Media propaganda? They watched his live news conferences not the media talking about him lol

16 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

The guy did communicate a lot during the first wave which is good for the public to hear, but he is just such a prick.  Hate Trump for the way he talks to people, but obey me when I talk to you in that manner.  A leader isn’t going to gain a following the way he acts.  You need to motivate the people not put them down.  This is why 4 years ago we put a guy like Trump in office.  The state, county, and city governments here are such corrupt jokes.  If not for family ties I would have left this state years ago. 

It goes all the way to the town level too. Hamburgs superintendent created a position for his son making $30+ an hour, full benefits, pension with no experience and was caught sleeping on the job several times. He just drives around and pretends he works. If you don't know someone or are friends with someone in Hamburg you cannot get a job with the town.

• Haha 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic