• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

4 minutes ago, brentrich said:

Then please explain why we are seeing 2k deaths daily, first 2k death today since April and it's going to get worse (4-5k deaths daily in few weeks)

If you’re talking about death rates look at the numbers. In April we were seeing 2500 deaths a day on 35 k cases a day. Now we’re seeing only 2k deaths a day on 150k cases a day. Treatment is orders of magnitude better now. Hospitals aren’t being overwhelmed. 

15 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

If you’re talking about death rates look at the numbers. In April we were seeing 2500 deaths a day on 35 k cases a day. Now we’re seeing only 2k deaths a day on 150k cases a day. Treatment is orders of magnitude better now. Hospitals aren’t being overwhelmed. 

Testing in April was not nearly ramped up to what we're seeing today. I would guess the actual infection numbers were much higher in March/April then confirmed during that time period. My friends grandpa died of "Pneumonia", while his entire family got Covid (he never got tested for covid in March) I would think if confirmed infections during that time were 35k, actual infections were over 100k. Obviously quite a lot is presumed in this post. Treatment and therapeutics have helped reduce the mortality rate considerably.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Testing in April was not nearly ramped up to what we're seeing today. I would guess the actual infection numbers were much higher in March/April then confirmed during that time period. My friends grandpa died of "Pneumonia", while his entire family got Covid (he never got tested for covid in March) I would think if confirmed infections during that time were 35k, actual infections were over 100k. Obviously quite a lot is presumed in this post. Treatment and therapeutics have helped reduce the mortality rate considerably.

Ya I forgot about testing rates. Prob a combo of the two factors. 

• Like 2

Can we not derail this thread and have it shut down like the New England sub forum Covid thread did months ago because of all of the personal attacks, bickering, and nonsense? This thread has for the most part been a pretty good and informative thread to read for the better part of the last 8 months until the last few days. Obviously everyone is going to have their own opinions and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with sharing them but the personal attacks and bickering clogs up the thread and if it continues I would bet money it gets shut down just as the New England thread did. Everyone in here post and contributes valuable information and I appreciate everyone’s input and points of view, it what makes it so awesome to read. Keep up the good work peeps :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Can we not derail this thread and have it shut down like the New England sub forum Covid thread did months ago because of all of the personal attacks, bickering, and nonsense? This thread has for the most part been a pretty good and informative thread to read for the better part of the last 8 months until the last few days. Obviously everyone is going to have their own opinions and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with sharing them but the personal attacks and bickering clogs up the thread and if it continues I would bet money it gets shut down just as the New England thread did. Everyone in here post and contributes valuable information and I appreciate everyone’s input and points of view, it what makes it so awesome to read. Keep up the good work peeps :)

Exactly. Who are all these randoms? We have a nice close group of reasonable people in Upstate, its rare across these forums. Lets keep it that way.

Back to Covid. 173k cases today.

• Like 3

Nice general update from Buffalo news. Hospitals are not overrun here.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/covid-19-in-western-new-york-the-latest-map-and-statistics/article_261f0820-dcb5-11ea-9ade-d3e35b30860b.html

According to the state Department of Health, 30% of this region's hospital beds – and 55% of its ICU beds – are available on average as of Nov. 16. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Yeah, what a mess! Who are these random people jumping in here all aggressively? Way too much time on their hands? Jumping around from thread to thread to bicker and repeat themselves angrily. We have some great posters in our subforum...things can just turn ugly pretty quickly with so many political opinions.

Buffalowx to me seems to be a pretty balanced guy, so I would trust his perspective on a situation (whatever drama is going on in some other site).

On another note...a friend of mine, a pretty staunch Republican, posted on his FB page this week that he now knows 17 people who have Covid and that it is NO joke. He said many of them are really struggling right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went and got takeout after the gym today at Pegasus restaurant. The manager there told me she has 30 waitresses, several with kids that are getting $60-80 a week in unemployment. They are now closing their doors on Friday. She does not know how these people are going to pay their bills. She said she is only scheduling 2-3 people a day for takeout in comparison to 10-15 per day during a normal shift. She also stated that customers that do take out rarely give tips in comparison to in person dining. Have to feel for the hospitality industry during all of this.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You can’t lock small businesses down without some type of government based help... simple as that. 

I think Biden will get it done..Trump and pelosi hate each other lol They haven't spoken in over a year.. Biden has a better relationship with the other side imo Maybe he can talk some sense into the speaker as well lol

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Exactly. Who are all these randoms? We have a nice close group of reasonable people in Upstate, its rare across these forums. Lets keep it that way.

Back to Covid. 173k cases today.

I kind of don’t understand the whole yellow zone orange zone thing in areas as small as zip codes in NYS. Isn’t it kind of counter intuitive to shut down the highest zip codes but not the surrounding areas which would than cause people in those areas to flush outside of the shutdown zones into areas that have a lower infection rate possibly raising the rates in areas that aren’t doing as bad? As SouthBfloSteve mentioned earlier you could go to a gym in Boston or Springville if you wanted to which is as little as a 10 minute drive for you, I could go eat indoors at a restaurant if I drive just 15 minutes over the border into Niagara County if I want to. I get they want to control the spread in the higher infection rate areas but without closing surrounding areas as well people are just going to flock to those areas. Not that I even agree with the shutdown idea in the first place, I’m just saying that what they are doing seems a little silly on this micro of a level. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I kind of don’t understand the whole yellow zone orange zone thing in areas as small as zip codes in NYS. Isn’t it kind of counter intuitive to shut down the highest zip codes but not the surrounding areas which would than cause people in those areas to flush outside of the shutdown zones into areas that have a lower infection rate possibly raising the rates in areas that aren’t doing as bad? As SouthBfloSteve mentioned earlier you could go to a gym in Boston or Springville if you wanted to which is as little as a 10 minute drive for you, I could go eat indoors at a restaurant if I drive just 15 minutes over the border into Niagara County if I want to. I get they want to control the spread in the higher infection rate areas but without closing surrounding areas as well people are just going to flock to those areas. Not that I even agree with the shutdown idea in the first place, I’m just saying that what they are doing seems a little silly on this micro of a level. 

My good friend at the gym is a barber and we were joking about going to Boston and setting up a mini shop outside in some park lot. Technically that follows the New York State guidelines as they are in yellow zone, but 2 minutes away in Hamburg and you get your license taken away... :lol:

If you're going to do a shutdown, at least do it by county...

Crunch fitness is opened in Niagara Falls, but closed in the Erie county locations. You're going to see a massive influx of people driving up there to work out. It's counter intuitive.

• Like 1

My good friend at the gym is a barber and we were joking about going to Boston and setting up a mini shop outside in some park lot. Technically that follows the New York State guidelines as they are in yellow zone, but 2 minutes away in Hamburg and you get your license taken away... :lol:

If you're going to do a shutdown, at least do it by county...

You meant “country” right?

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Went and got takeout after the gym today at Pegasus restaurant. The manager there told me she has 30 waitresses, several with kids that are getting $60-80 a week in unemployment. They are now closing their doors on Friday. She does not know how these people are going to pay their bills. She said she is only scheduling 2-3 people a day for takeout in comparison to 10-15 per day during a normal shift. She also stated that customers that do take out rarely give tips in comparison to in person dining. Have to feel for the hospitality industry during all of this.

Truly heartbreaking man. I got Duffs wings for takeout for dinner tonight and there was only 1 table of people inside and all the servers were gathered around the bar talking about how after Friday they don’t know how they’re going to survive and they were literally in tears. I felt so bad I even almost teared up. I ALWAYS leave a very generous tip even on takeout orders during the pandemic as these people literally don’t know how long they’re going to have a job for and when their  hours might get cut. Really rough stuff for sure. 

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

your buddy called me out so i responded with factual content.

Don’t mind you debating him at all, I have as have many others, but the personal attacks and name calling are just unnecessary and in my opinion makes the rest of your post irrelevant even though you may be making good points with evidence to back it up. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Yes, it's ridiculous. Here, Baldwinsville School District is made up of the towns of Van Buren and Lysander. The schools in Lysander (yellow zone) have to have 20% of their student/staff population tested for Covid, but the schools in Van Buren (no zone) do not...despite those schools having more positive results over the past several months. Meaningless when extra-curricular activities, siblings and staff are shared between schools in the two towns. The river is not a magic line between Covid and no Covid.

• Like 1

Of course infection rates are going to go up in NY if you're only testing people with symptoms...

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-testing

Just went through the entire process and unless you answer the questions with symptoms you cannot get a free test.

@Luke_Mages What is cost of test again $120? Infection rates are going to stay above (orange zone-3%) for the foreseeable future if you're only testing symptomatic patients.

Does anyone know what the percentage is for red zone for NY is it 10%?

First off, there's way too much politics/election talk in here.  Really not supposed to be discussing that, whether or not it's civil.

Regarding covid, there's a real, growing problem in the hospitals right now just about everywhere outside of the coastal states.  You see it in the news stories and I hear it from my cousin here in Indiana who has a high ranking position at an area hospital.  Because of the typical lag time between a confirmed case and needing to go to the hospital, a lot of areas are in trouble even if the spread stopped right now (which it won't, of course).

• Like 3

Of course infection rates are going to go up in NY if you're only testing people with symptoms...

Just went through the entire process and unless you answer the questions with symptoms you cannot get a free test.

@Luke_Mages What is cost of test again $120? Infection rates are going to stay above (orange zone-3%) for the foreseeable future if you're only testing symptomatic patients.

Red zone is 4% for 10 straight days. Erie county is at day 11 already above 4% (in fact we’re nearing double that now). So technically we should be a red zone but I don’t think they wanted to go straight from yellow to red but there’s no doubt in my mind it’s coming (just before Thanksgiving IMO). 

Just now, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Red zone is 4% for 10 straight days. Erie county is at day 11 already above 4% (in fact we’re nearing double that now). So technically we should be a red zone but I don’t think they wanted to go straight from yellow to red but there’s no doubt in my mind it’s coming (just before Thanksgiving IMO). 

Do you have link to New York Covid tracking website that tracks that again? I deleted my bookmark.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I know schools make up a small portion of those being tested in NY, but those of us in schools in the "higher risk" zones are getting the free rapid-tests done. Most of these individuals are not infected.

• Thanks 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic