• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Again, words that hurt your feelings - just like the liberal media. Actions are key and he took many.

Remember, in Feb. the WHO, CDC and even the Chinese didn't announce (or know) that primary transmission mode was airborne/droplets until April-May and didn't recommend public facemasks until after that. So, even though Trump said that in Feb, the scientists didn't know that until months later. Again, just words.

17 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Ok, deflection from this: "......actions???? lol............"

But here's 1 answer to your question:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including sections 201 and 301 of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) and consistent with section 1135 of the Social Security Act (SSA), as amended (42 U.S.C. 1320b-5), do hereby find and proclaim that the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States constitutes a national emergency, beginning March 1, 2020.

Serious enough?

From 9/22

“It affects elderly people. Elderly people with heart problems and other problems. If they have other problems, that’s what it really affects,” Trump told supporters at an airport outside Toledo.

“That’s it. You know, in some states, thousands of people, nobody young. Below the age of 18, like, nobody,” he continued. “They have a strong immune system, who knows. You look — take your hat off to the young, because they have a hell of an immune system. But it affects virtually nobody. It’s an amazing thing.”

Virtually nobody???...............

2 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Again, words that hurt your feelings - just like the liberal media. Actions are key and he took many.

Remember, in Feb. the WHO, CDC and even the Chinese didn't announce (or know) that primary transmission mode was airborne/droplets until April-May and didn't recommend public facemasks until after that. So, even though Trump said that in Feb, the scientists didn't know that until months later. Again, just words.

LOL..keep dreaming if you think my feelings are hurt lol 

It's clear and obvious. Can't admit that he took significant action, keep quoting words. Your self-righteous hatred for the man has blinded you from many facts.

With that said, I'd like it if he were more consistent with his words, but that's what we got for a non-politician in office.

from 4/22

Trump, who has been pushing for states to begin reopening their economies, batted down notions that COVID-19 could return in large waves, as has happened in previous pandemics. Health experts and members of the White House coronavirus task force have warned of a possible comeback for the virus next fall.

“It’s not going to be what we’ve gone through, in any way, shape or form,” Trump said flatly.

He continued: “If it comes back, though, it won’t be coming back in the form that it was. It will be coming back in smaller doses that we can contain. ... You could have some embers of corona ... (but) we will not go through what we went through for the last two months.”

Trump then turned to Dr. Deborah Birx, coordinator of the coronavirus task force, and asked, “Doctor, wouldn’t you say there’s a good chance that COVID will not come back?”

“We don’t know,” Birx responded.

Great call by the prez lol 

9 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

from 4/22

Trump, who has been pushing for states to begin reopening their economies, batted down notions that COVID-19 could return in large waves, as has happened in previous pandemics. Health experts and members of the White House coronavirus task force have warned of a possible comeback for the virus next fall.

“It’s not going to be what we’ve gone through, in any way, shape or form,” Trump said flatly.

He continued: “If it comes back, though, it won’t be coming back in the form that it was. It will be coming back in smaller doses that we can contain. ... You could have some embers of corona ... (but) we will not go through what we went through for the last two months.”

Trump then turned to Dr. Deborah Birx, coordinator of the coronavirus task force, and asked, “Doctor, wouldn’t you say there’s a good chance that COVID will not come back?”

“We don’t know,” Birx responded.

Great call by the prez lol 

Again, more words. The states are controlling how they respond by reopening or closing...not Trump. Moving along...

Here are the ACTIONs from Apr 22:

April 22: President Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation suspending immigration in the U.S. for 60 days due to “the impact of foreign workers on the United States labor market, particularly in an environment of high domestic unemployment’.

April 22: President Trump urged the House of Representatives to pass the Senate-backed Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act without delay.

April 22: President Trump directed the Opportunity & Revitalization Council to focus on supporting underserved communities impacted by the coronavirus, including Black and Hispanic communities.

April 22: President Trump announced the Administration has to date directed more than $7 billion in funding towards coronavirus treatments, diagnostics, and therapies.

April 22: President Trump spoke to Governor Newsom about increasing testing capacity.

April 22: President Trump held calls with Pakistan’s PM Imran Khan and Amir Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani of Qatar about the global coronavirus response.

April 22: Vice President Pence held a call with over 340 state legislators from 43 states to discuss the response to coronavirus.

April 22: Vice President Pence announced that 5,500 active duty military personnel are currently deployed to assist in the coronavirus response, including 964 medical personnel in 17 hospitals in 7 states.

April 22: Vice President Pence announced that the VA has been deploying teams of VA personnel to assist nursing homes in some states.

April 22: HHS awarded nearly $165 million in funding to fight the coronavirus in rural communities, providing CARES Act funding to 1,779 small rural hospitals and 14 HRSA-Funded telehealth resource centers.

April 22: HHS announced an additional $20 billion in CARES Act funding for health care providers would be disbursed this week.

April 22: FEMA Announced $36.5 million in expedited funding to the city and county of Denver, Colorado in response to the coronavirus.

April 22: FEMA published a final rule defining certain PPE as ”scarce” to combat hoarding and price gouging of these materials.

April 22: The Justice Department announced federal law enforcement officials had successfully disrupted hundreds of online coronavirus scam websites.

April 22: The USDA announced it has successfully increased monthly SNAP benefits by 40% during the coronavirus outbreak.

April 22: USDA approved Alabama for the Pandemic EBT Program, which will help feed children eligible for USDA school lunch programs who are now at home during the coronavirus outbreak.

April 22: Secretary DeVos called on wealthy universities to reject taxpayer coronavirus funds and on Congress to change the eligibility put forth by the CARES Act.

20 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Again, more words. The states are controlling how they respond by reopening or closing...not Trump. Moving along...

Here are the ACTIONs from Apr 22:

April 22: President Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation suspending immigration in the U.S. for 60 days due to “the impact of foreign workers on the United States labor market, particularly in an environment of high domestic unemployment’.

April 22: President Trump urged the House of Representatives to pass the Senate-backed Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act without delay.

April 22: President Trump directed the Opportunity & Revitalization Council to focus on supporting underserved communities impacted by the coronavirus, including Black and Hispanic communities.

April 22: President Trump announced the Administration has to date directed more than $7 billion in funding towards coronavirus treatments, diagnostics, and therapies.

April 22: President Trump spoke to Governor Newsom about increasing testing capacity.

April 22: President Trump held calls with Pakistan’s PM Imran Khan and Amir Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani of Qatar about the global coronavirus response.

April 22: Vice President Pence held a call with over 340 state legislators from 43 states to discuss the response to coronavirus.

April 22: Vice President Pence announced that 5,500 active duty military personnel are currently deployed to assist in the coronavirus response, including 964 medical personnel in 17 hospitals in 7 states.

April 22: Vice President Pence announced that the VA has been deploying teams of VA personnel to assist nursing homes in some states.

April 22: HHS awarded nearly $165 million in funding to fight the coronavirus in rural communities, providing CARES Act funding to 1,779 small rural hospitals and 14 HRSA-Funded telehealth resource centers.

April 22: HHS announced an additional $20 billion in CARES Act funding for health care providers would be disbursed this week.

April 22: FEMA Announced $36.5 million in expedited funding to the city and county of Denver, Colorado in response to the coronavirus.

April 22: FEMA published a final rule defining certain PPE as ”scarce” to combat hoarding and price gouging of these materials.

April 22: The Justice Department announced federal law enforcement officials had successfully disrupted hundreds of online coronavirus scam websites.

April 22: The USDA announced it has successfully increased monthly SNAP benefits by 40% during the coronavirus outbreak.

April 22: USDA approved Alabama for the Pandemic EBT Program, which will help feed children eligible for USDA school lunch programs who are now at home during the coronavirus outbreak.

April 22: Secretary DeVos called on wealthy universities to reject taxpayer coronavirus funds and on Congress to change the eligibility put forth by the CARES Act.

His words DWARF any list that you can post.... but I'll leave you with one last quote.......

“Turn on television, right. Covid, Covid. Covid, Covid, Covid. Covid,” he said. “A plane goes down, 500 people dead, they don’t talk about it. Covid Covid Covid Covid.”

“By the way on November fourth you won’t hear about it anymore,” 

Another great prognostication.......lol

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

His words had an impact on millions of people in regards to their views on the Covid situation. 

Yup. And if more people listened to him instead of bullshit left wing fear mongering we’d all be able to get on with our lives. We wouldnt have economy’s and industries collapsing. 

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

His words had an impact on millions of people in regards to their views on the Covid situation. 

Sure they did, but his actions clearly side with a significant positive response to the Covid situation. This is what our entire 'debate' is about - will you admit it now?

Whew! I said my peace and then checked out because I wanted nothing to do with the bantering. Looks like LOTS of talk has occurred since. There's a difference between healthy discussion/bantering and toxic bantering where NOTHING is accomplished but more division. Honestly, Republicans...Democrats...neither are innocent...so my stance is I have no "side" to defend when it comes to politics. It's actually quite freeing. What I will stand up for is the proper treatment and actual respect for my fellow human.

Republican rebels, for heaven's sakes, put the freakin' mask on and stop "anti social distancing" to prove a point.  Its so childish. I have to wear a mask for work and I hate it...but two and a half months in to the school year, and I have had far less students absent this year than before. There hasn't been much sickness...I think our current masking, social distancing, and CONSTANT disinfecting have reduced pathogen spread.

Democrats, stop trying to cast all blame on one individual...Trump...and anybody else who thinks "certain" things about Covid are being dramatized and driven by the liberal media to cause more havoc. Stop denying Trump's successes in building our economy just because "you hate him." It's so childish.

The naivety and total dedication to one party and all the CRAP it believes just boggles my mind. BALANCE is key.

• Like 2

This is quite the court case going on lol Took a while but I finally got on..

So the trump campaign wants hundreds of thousands of ballots thrown out in Philadelphia county because 2 people were so called"denied" the right to vote..The problem with that is neither of them were in Philadelphia county lol They both happened in red counties..The judge himself asked why don't you just sue those counties?

Vortmax. You are smarter than this. The Trump admin may have taken the bare minimum of actions during this pandemic but to defend Trump is laughable. I can pull up all the times he said it would go away. The times he said it was just one guy and it would soon be zero. Him claiming it would disappear with warm weather. Him being reluctant to bring 15 people from the cruise ship ashore because it would make the numbers look bad (lol, he was worried about 15 people and we now have 180,000 cases a day).  Him saying we will open back up by easter.  Him calling it hoax. Etc etc. 

Why defend Trump on this topic?  He’s been an absolute abomination. You know it. I know it. Give it up, it’s embarrassing. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Vortmax. You are smarter than this. The Trump admin may have taken the bare minimum of actions during this pandemic but to defend Trump is laughable. I can pull up all the times he said it would go away. The times he said it was just one guy and it would soon be zero. Him claiming it would disappear with warm weather. Him being reluctant to bring 15 people from the cruise ship ashore because it would make the numbers look bad (lol, he was worried about 15 people and we now have 180,000 cases a day).  Him saying we will open back up by easter.  Him calling it hoax. Etc etc. 

Why defend Trump on this topic?  He’s been an absolute abomination. You know it. I know it. Give it up, it’s embarrassing. 

It's not about smarts, it's about facts.

First, Great Snow said Trump didn't care about the Covid situation at all and Snow also laugh off any actions the Admin took. I was clearly showing that there were significant actions taken which did help - it's so easy to judge this in hindsight. 

Second, I don't believe his Admin took the "bare minimum" (however you define 'bare minimum) of actions during this pandemic, at all. 

Third, I agreed it would be nice if his words better aligned to his actions, but that's just who he is - very unpolitical. If his actions actually aligned to some of his quotes, I agree things would've been much, much worse. Yet they didn't, so his words were just words - unwise at times, but just words.

The real point in all of this is that there's a crazed focus on what he's said, but not what he's actually done.

I'm pretty sure trump left it up to states to"govern" themselves, remember when all the states had to fight over PPE? 

He traded in an infectious disease expert for a radiologist lol

Poison control said they had many more calls after the injected disinfectant comment, so some people do listen to him lol

He closed down china but it came to us from Europe..

If trump or his "experts" push for herd immunity then he is doing the bare minimum to fight this disease lol 

10 minutes ago, vortmax said:

It's not about smarts, it's about facts.

First, Great Snow said Trump didn't care about the Covid situation at all and Snow also laugh off any actions the Admin took. I was clearly showing that there were significant actions taken which did help - it's so easy to judge this in hindsight. 

Second, I don't believe his Admin took the "bare minimum" (however you define 'bare minimum) of actions during this pandemic, at all. 

Third, I agreed it would be nice if his words better aligned to his actions, but that's just who he is - very unpolitical. If his actions actually aligned to some of his quotes, I agree things would've been much, much worse. Yet they didn't, so his words were just words - unwise at times, but just words.

The real point in all of this is that there's a crazed focus on what he's said, but not what he's actually done.

Trump has said many times that we test too much. And we need to slow down testing.  On what planet could any sane human suggest such a thing during a pandemic. Testing is the single most important thing we have until a vaccine is developed.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, testing is the key to beating this...and we (and the rest of the world) blew it completely.  We still haven’t tested even half the country 9 months into this thing..  not good enough.

The fact that Trump could ever suggest this confirms that he is treating this like some golf game with the rest of the worlds leaders (and as usual, he’s still losing) which is sickening. He doesn’t care if people get sick or die, just as long as no one knows about it and we don’t broadcast the numbers. And then when he does try to spin it, he erroneously will say no one has tested more than us; which is both false per capita, and not something we should be bragging about anyway.  

It’s just so bad. There is no worse person to handle a crisis where science and empathy are critical. 

2 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

You've already had a post deleted. Perhaps as a Red Tagger you should refrain from posting. 

What part of that post was offensive?  It was a simple counterpoint.  He has since responded and didn’t seem upset.

Also, what do tags have to do with any of this.  

One of my posts was deleted?  I had no idea. Which one and why?

And who are you, A mod?  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Oh just wait.  The fact that Cuomo has been mum the past two days about Erie County’s numbers spiraling out of control makes me nervous on just how hard he’s gonna drop the hammer tomorrow.  

2 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

And where has he been since the election?  It looks like he’s completely checked out at a time where the country needs leadership.

I don’t think he has completely checked out. To his credit, he’s pushing hard to get US troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq, although it looks like he’ll settle for pulling out only some of the troops while claiming he ended the wars, but going for a headline over substance is pretty much the way he is about everything. There’s also a story going around that he’s going to punish pharma for not delivering an approved vaccine before Election Day by eliminating the drug pricing structure that guarantees that the US government pays more for medicine through Medicare than any other country. Occasionally, Trump has done the right thing, but it always seems to be for a really bad reason. But for the most part, he’s raging because he lost, and doesn’t care who suffers. He’s a whiny p*ssbaby, and I wouldn’t care about it except for the fact that he’s forcing most of the Republican Party into taking a position that their political opponents are categorically illegitimate and have absolutely no right to rule. That’s how autocracy works, and it’s about as antithetical to what the US has thought of as its ideals since it was founded.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic