• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

3 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Did you delete a Trump supporter list from this thread?

Hours after I posted it yes, here you go, this is me being so disrespectful to trump supporters, give me a break..Trump is the most disrespectful person on the planet, would you like me to litter this board with his comments? Or how about all his supporters that bash Democrats and Biden all over social media..

Screenshot_20201116-113843.png

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Hours after I posted it yes, here you go, this is me being so disrespectful to trump supporters, give me a break..Trump is the most disrespectful person on the planet, would you like me to litter this board with his comments? Or how about all his supporters that bash Democrats and Biden all over social media..

Screenshot_20201116-113843.png

Would you call this 'respectful' then?

12 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I thought it was funny. I dont think @wolfie09 has been nasty to Trump supporters but a few others here have been. 

This is also meant to be funny:

c6c9eca073bd9ca1bd0dd044fba58cc2d739e81a_2_690x387.jpeg

I wasn't offended by it. I was just calling it out because it seemed to get deleted around the same time TugHillMatt posted his stuff. Even though this is a 'banter' thread, I wish it was more focused on C19 than politics. There have been some really good info here on C19...

• Like 2

Why would you condemn the fastest plan to get the vaccine to the vulnerable? The same reason he killed 10,000 grandmas. He cares more about politics than people.

CVS and Walgreens are at every corner in the inner cities. What other way will these people get the vaccine? There are far more of these then doctors offices in the inner cities. This guy is out of touch with reality.

Cuomo on Sunday condemned a Trump Administration plan that relies heavily on private pharmacy chains like CVS and Walgreens, and private hospitals and doctors’ offices to distribute a COVID-19 vaccine, when one is ready. He said many poorer communities, where Black and brown New Yorkers live, don’t have those pharmacies and live in what Cuomo called “health care deserts”.

“The president talks about CVS and Walgreens and national chains,” Cuomo said, speaking at the Riverside Church in Manhattan. “But they are mainly located in rich communities, not in poor communities. We can’t compound the racial injustice that COVID already created.”

https://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/rochester/cuomo-threatens-to-sue-white-house-over-covid-19-vaccine-plans/Content?oid=12503355

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

People complaining about the Covid restrictions would be wise to educate themselves on the restrictions and rationing that took place during WW2.

Wasn't there a huge uprising when the government "forced" people to wear seatbelts in their cars? Something similar happened with media control in smoking tobacco as well. It was glamorized for years despite scientific data showing how deadly it was.

• Like 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Wasn't there a huge uprising when the government "forced" people to wear seatbelts in their cars? Something similar happened with media control in smoking tobacco as well. It was glamorized for years despite scientific data showing how deadly it was.

The point is the Covid restrictions pale in comparison. 

15 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

People complaining about the Covid restrictions would be wise to educate themselves on the restrictions and rationing that took place during WW2.

Last year my 89yr old grandmother wrote a few pages about her childhood, which included growing up with essentially all products being rationed during WWII.  I talked to her about how the spoiled babies in today’s society would handle that type of inconvenience.  We did not realize we would get a *little* taste of it this year....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Roughly 3-5% of the world’s population, many of them young soldiers, were lost to ww2.
0.7% of the worlds elderly and vulnerable dying to Covid is quite the difference. (And this doesn’t back out the deaths of the people that would have died of other causes like the flu)
And look at support the war had. Once Japan bombed Pearl Harbor there was overwhelming support for the war. I’d say Covid has completely split America into two camps. So I don’t think using WW2 as a good example of why people today should be ok with restrictions. 

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Amen!  I’ve been tempted to post the same thing. Our parents and grandparents suffered immensely more during both WW2 and the Great Depression.  They would laugh at anyone who would say wearing a mask to save lives is an overwhelming sacrifice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

Roughly 3-5% of the world’s population, many of them young soldiers, were lost to ww2.
0.7% of the worlds elderly and vulnerable dying to Covid is quite the difference. (And this doesn’t back out the deaths of the people that would have died of other causes like the flu)
And look at support the war had. Once Japan bombed Pearl Harbor there was overwhelming support for the war. I’d say Covid has completely split America into two camps. So I don’t think using WW2 as a good example of why people today should be ok with restrictions. 

There was not overwhelming support for the war.  Any my point still stands, the covid restrictions pale in comparison to rationing and restrictions during ww2

3 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

What if FDR had come out and ripped the governor of Hawaii for doing such a poor job defending the island, and told the American people the war would be over in no time with no sacrifice needed?  What if he told people that the rationing was imposing on their freedom and they should just go out and eat whatever they wanted?

Would things have been different?

1 minute ago, cny rider said:

What if FDR had come out and ripped the governor of Hawaii for doing such a poor job defending the island, and told the American people the war would be over in no time with no sacrifice needed?  What if he told people that the rationing was imposing on their freedom and they should just go out and eat whatever they wanted?

Honestly all of that would have been hilarious 

32 minutes ago, cny rider said:

You’re comparing an event that was at least 6 times more impactful in just list of life. Then add in property loss and injuries. They don’t compare. Not in the slightest. 

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

You’re comparing an event that was at least 6 times more impactful in just list of life. Then add in property loss and injuries. They don’t compare. Not in the slightest. 

About 2400 Americans died at Pearl Harbor.  We have seen similar numbers of deaths on bad days during Covid.

About 290,000 Americans died in WW II. 

We are rapidly closing in on that many Covid deaths in this country.

We are watching the destruction of small business and economic loss on an unprecedented scale

So compare FDR's response, and the unity of American spirit and resolve that won that war, with Trump's ignorant, spiteful, divisive Covid response that helped get us where we are now.

19 minutes ago, cny rider said:

About 2400 Americans died at Pearl Harbor.  We have seen similar numbers of deaths on bad days during Covid.

We are watching the destruction of small business and economic loss on an unprecedented scale

So compare FDR's response, and the unity of American spirit and resolve that won that war, with Trump's ignorant, spiteful, divisive Covid response that helped get us where we are now.

Where are you getting your numbers? The us death toll  was almost twice that.
https://www.nationalww2museum.org/students-teachers/student-resources/research-starters/research-starters-worldwide-deaths-world-war

And the destruction of small businesses and some countries economies is because were overzealously reacting to this virus, instead of getting on with our lives like Trump has been trying to do.

God help us should we ever have a real existential threat to society. :facepalm: 

20 minutes ago, cny rider said:

Also remember that the US population in 1940 was 1/3 that of today. So 420k Americans killed x 3 = 1.6M covid deaths needed to be comparable. And again you aren’t even including the injuries or destruction of property. (Which covid doesn’t do)

4 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Where are you getting your numbers? The us death toll  was almost twice that.
https://www.nationalww2museum.org/students-teachers/student-resources/research-starters/research-starters-worldwide-deaths-world-war

And the destruction of small businesses and some countries economies is because were overzealously reacting to this virus, instead of getting on with our lives like Trump has been trying to do.

God help us should we ever have a real existential threat to society. :facepalm: 

Not to mention wars are amazing for the economy. It provides a jolt to nearly every facet of it and every industry. There is a reason the USA is always in a war. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The Moderna news is bigger than the Pfizer news. Higher efficacy and lower temperature needed to store. I cannot wait to not wear a mask at the gym again and to travel international! Big plans next year. Kilimanjaro hike got moved twice already, now schedule for Nov. 2021.

Maybe ill be able to study-abroad in Australia after all.

• Like 1

Next month they say 20-25 million people in the USA will be getting the vaccine and every month thereafter. If you believe this doctor, we're currently only diagnosing 1 in 5 Covid infections. If we're average 150k infections per day that equates to 750k new covid cases per day. If 11 million people have already been diagnosed than that means 55 million have already had Covid. Herd immunity is estimated to be between the vicinity of 40-70% of the population which would equate to 130 million to 231 million. We "should" have this virus in control by next spring "if" the vaccines are effective and "if" reinfection is as rare as we've seen.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/06/dr-scott-gottlieb-daily-us-covid-cases-are-at-least-half-a-million.html?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/13/trump-covid-vaccine-december-436481

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic