• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

On 9/17/2020 at 9:51 PM, TugHillMatt said:

Snow days in NYC? What are those?

Local school here has a couple students that tested positive and the school is now closing for in-person teaching. Wondering if I'll be back to online teaching by October...

There has to be at least 10 inches of snow for NYC to close the schools.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

What town are you in? Where do you plan to move? 

I'm currently in Copenhagen..Looks like I'll be here at least through November.. Pretty much looking for houses mainly in Oswego county, I have looked everywhere from lacona/Redfield to Oswego/Fulton, so far lol Keep you guys posted..

• Like 1

I’m so done with this lie.  This f*in hypocrite gets on TV everyday criticizing us for not wearing a mask.  Blames us for being selfish and spreading the virus. Threatens to arrest those of us that don’t comply.  Having his health department go around closing business that don’t follow the rules.  This isn’t about keeping us safe.  It’s about control and bringing down Trump.  This boob needs to resign!

8BD884C6-F169-47B9-8539-E7EE84EDB865.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Just heard on the radio of a "BRAIN EATING AMOEBA" in the drinking water in an area south of Houston, TX.      Will this story supersede the COVID-19?

Seems as harmless as COVID-19 was at the start.

https://news.yahoo.com/6-old-boy-dies-suffering-182242656.html

These things have been around forever. Takes very special circumstances to be harmed by them though.  A few dozen people die from them each year but it’s almost always from swimming in very warm somewhat stagnant water.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/news/national/boy-contracts-rare-brain-eating-amoeba-article-1.1426134%3foutputType=amp

This was a particularly sad one 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/cdc-brain-eating-amoeba-found-at-whitewater-center-after-teens-death-lauren-seitz/

Having them in the water system has happened before in the south and was Identified when people using Neti pots and didn’t boil the water first died from them.   You have to ram them up your nose in large numbers to get sick from them, so it’s not an immediate threat to most but definitely concerning never the less.

https://www.pharmacist.com/article/brain-eating-amoeba-death-highlights-importance-safe-neti-pot-use 

It’s made me think twice before jumping into a freshwater pond.  Thankfully they haven’t been reported in Upstate NY

15 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I’m so done with this lie.  This f*in hypocrite gets on TV everyday criticizing us for not wearing a mask.  Blames us for being selfish and spreading the virus. Threatens to arrest those of us that don’t comply.  Having his health department go around closing business that don’t follow the rules.  This isn’t about keeping us safe.  It’s about control and bringing down Trump.  This boob needs to resign!

8BD884C6-F169-47B9-8539-E7EE84EDB865.jpeg

What is this picture?

• Like 1

3rd from right standing behind the guy with the peace sign is the Erie cty executive whose been preaching the mask and bashing Trump ...

he then tweeted out it was a lapse in judgement but claimed the health dept says you’re ok to stand next to someone for up to 10 minutes before it’s an issue if I remember correctly...

kinda like when Cuomo went to Georgia  don’t have and hugged people and claimed since he was there last then 24 hrs he couldn’t get it

17 hours ago, Polarbear said:

3rd from right standing behind the guy with the peace sign is the Erie cty executive whose been preaching the mask and bashing Trump ...

he then tweeted out it was a lapse in judgement but claimed the health dept says you’re ok to stand next to someone for up to 10 minutes before it’s an issue if I remember correctly...

kinda like when Cuomo went to Georgia  don’t have and hugged people and claimed since he was there last then 24 hrs he couldn’t get it

Ah, now we understand the hypocrisy. Seems to be quite prevalent these days.

My wife and daughter flew to Maine and back a couple weeks ago and now getting 2-3 calls/messages per day from NYS Department of Health COVID response team saying she just visited NYC from a restricted state (which Maine is not one). She called to correct the clear error, but still getting the call - apparently the agent said there were all sorts of issues like this. Doesn't sound like the system is working quite right. She flew through PHL, and PA isn't a restricted state either. 

I wish public officials were more cognizant of the example they set. At the very minimum, “lapses in judgement” give folks  the ammunition to act like morons and dismiss the scientific reality that Corona is deadly and highly communicative. Citizens look to their leaders as examples. 
It is a form of hypocrisy to insist that church’s’ are shut while smiling for a group pic, but it doesn’t change the  truth. 200,000 deaths in 6 months with extensive quarantining and precautions. Imagine the toll if we had allowed these dismissive types (Steve)  to have their way. 

• Like 1

Four Covid-19 sniffer dogs have begun work at Helsinki airport in a state-funded pilot scheme that Finnish researchers hope will provide a cheap, fast and effective alternative method of testing people for the virus.

A dog is capable of detecting the presence of the coronavirus within 10 seconds and the entire process takes less than a minute to complete, according to Anna Hielm-Björkman of the University of Helsinki, who is overseeing the trial.

“It’s very promising,” said Hielm-Björkman. “If it works, it could prove a good screening method in other places” such as hospitals, care homes and at sporting and cultural events.

In the university’s preliminary tests, dogs – which have been successfully used to detect diseases such as cancer and diabetes – were able to identify the virus with nearly 100% accuracy, even days before before a patient developed symptoms.

Scientists are not yet sure what exactly it is that the dogs sniff when they detect the virus. A French study published in June concluded that there was “very high evidence” that the sweat odour of Covid-positive people was different to that of those who did not have the virus, and that dogs could detect that difference.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic