• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

On 6/29/2020 at 2:20 PM, DeltaT13 said:

I trust the thousands of scientists studying this virus, of which zero have made any mention of the virus weakening.  That first study is nearly a month old and had no backing from any other major medical doctors.  

This is simply a matter of people in Europe following instructions while Americans go out of their way to flout said instructions and are almost purposely trying to disobey all guidance.  

That or seasonality or herd immunity at much lower level.  There are some new studies showing more immunity than expected -- tcell recognition being a big part of it.

Sweden is over the hump like the rest of Europe albeit with more deaths than many countries) so I am not convinced the behavior of the citizens explains the disappearance of the virus in Europe.  

I am not trying to excuse the behavior of many but think the data coming out of Europe is interesting and potentially encouraging.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Reddogg said:

That or seasonality or herd immunity at much lower level.  There are some new studies showing more immunity than expected -- tcell recognition being a big part of it.

Sweden is over the hump like the rest of Europe albeit with more deaths than many countries) so I am not convinced the behavior of the citizens explains the disappearance of the virus in Europe.  

I am not trying to excuse the behavior of many but think the data coming out of Europe is interesting and potentially encouraging.

Europe with the exception of Sweden is a tinderbox waiting for reigniting. Britain just reopened its pubs and salons this past weekend. And in other areas lockdowns are still in place or being reimposed. Additionally all of their borders are largely closed, especially to Americans. 

https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-latest-spain-imposes-second-local-lockdown/a-54056686

11 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

Europe with the exception of Sweden is a tinderbox waiting for reigniting. Britain just reopened its pubs and salons this past weekend. And in other areas lockdowns are still in place or being reimposed. Additionally all of their borders are largely closed, especially to Americans. 

https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-latest-spain-imposes-second-local-lockdown/a-54056686

Cases are going to go up as more testing is done. As long as hospitals can maintain the influx of new patients we should be fine. Deaths are still declining and rapidly.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

With cases reaching records highs and deaths consistently falling I do wonder if the virus is mutating to a weaker form. The next month will be very telling as absolutely no one social distanced on July 4th. 40k cases and 224 deaths so far today.

The thing is that the medical community has a better idea of how to treat the virus now compared to early on.  Even the people in the higher risk groups should have a better chance of surviving now than they would have a few months ago.   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The thing is that the medical community has a better idea of how to treat the virus now compared to early on.  Even the people in the higher risk groups should have a better chance of surviving now than they would have a few months ago.   

That's likely part of it. Hoping the weaker mutation is real like that Italian virologist suggested. 

Some disturbing pictures going around social media from the last few days near UB south. Apparently a couple hundred students from all over the state flocked back for big frat house parties that have gone on every day. There’s a photo of a house on Main Street showing 100+ kids on the balcony and in the yard, with more visible in the house. No masks, no social distancing. If there’s an outbreak among this group of students, it could undo a lot of progress across the region, seed the whole state with the virus, and risk the ability of SUNY campuses to open this fall.

7 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

Get ready for lots more of this. The federal subsidies are running out and plenty of companies will be making drastic cuts to their workforce. 

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/new-era-laying-off-one-third-of-buffalo-workforce-ending-furloughs-by-august/article_0d358f96-c0a4-11ea-8630-334b48b30553.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Can you cut and paste the article for those of us that can't bypass the pay wall?

16 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Can you cut and paste the article for those of us that can't bypass the pay wall?

You've gotta get one of your relatives username and password like me lol. I cant believe the buffalo news charges.

This kind of follows suite with other articles being written about the stimulus plan delaying the inevitable. A huge package will be needed this month if they dont want the skyrocketing number of cases to completely grind the economy to a halt. Whats going on now across the country is eclipsing what we saw in NYC.

New Era Cap is laying off one-third of its Western New York workforce and bringing the rest of its U.S. staff back from furlough.

An executive from New Era confirmed to The News that the company is laying off 187 employees, 117 of whom worked at its Buffalo headquarters. New Era formerly had 350 employees in Buffalo and 600 across the United States, where it also has offices in New York City, Miami and Irvine, Calif. At the beginning of 2020, the company had 1,230 employees around the world.

The layoffs follow a furlough period that began March 27 – at the front end of the coronavirus pandemic – and was originally planned for 60 days. That furlough affected about 70% of the company’s U.S. employees and was extended into summer.

Jim Patterson, New Era’s executive vice president and chief operating officer, told The News in an email that the company plans to bring “the majority of our employees across North America back from furlough” by mid to late August.

News of both the layoffs and the return from furlough came the same week that the U.S. Small Business Administration released data on its Paycheck Protection Program, which revealed that New Era received a loan of between $5 million and $10 million and was able to retain 488 jobs.

New Era, a family-owned company founded 100 years ago, holds licenses with brands such as Marvel and DC Comics and exclusive deals with sports entities including Major League Baseball, the National Football League and National Basketball Association. The closure in March of professional and college sports leagues and the plunge in consumer spending as brick-and-mortar retail was shuttered was a walloping blow to New Era.

The company, with revenues reported in late 2018 of about $750 million, saw “the most significant impact” in North America, Patterson said.

New Era has 19 offices around the world.

“North America business was down significantly in the early stages of the pandemic from March to May,” Patterson said. “We have seen some bright spots, but it’s difficult for us to project how quickly things will return given the current uncertainty around how the reopening is going in various states, etc. We will continue to watch this closely.”

While New Era is best known in other regions – especially Asia – as a lifestyle brand that sells apparel and accessories, its North American sales are largely driven by headwear associated with sports leagues that shut down during the pandemic. Now that sports and stores are slowly moving toward reopening, New Era’s customers – which include teams, major chains and boutique fashion stores – are “beginning to place orders,” Patterson said.

“There is still much uncertainty around the overall opening of retail in various states, as well as the resumption of pro sports,” he wrote. “That said, we are in close touch with all of our customers, and plan to regularly review the size of our workforce to ensure we’re addressing their needs and overall industry demand.”

This is New Era’s second large layoff in less than two years. In early 2019, the company had closed its longtime manufacturing facility in Derby, where more than 200 workers made up to 4.5 million caps annually. In a regular year without a pandemic, New Era would sell about 75 million pieces of headwear.

In a late 2019 interview, on the cusp of the company’s 100th anniversary, New Era CEO Chris Koch told The News that closing the Derby plant “was an excruciatingly hard decision for me.” Three months later, when announcing the furloughs in the wake of the coronavirus, he said in a statement, “In my 40 years at New Era, I have never experienced a series of events that have so quickly and adversely impacted our business.”

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 4:53 PM, brentrich said:

With cases and deaths going up now, do you think school will be open this fall? 

I think there’s no chance NYC schools open in fall and I think there’s a slim chance WNY/Capital Region has schools open. The rest of upstate regions I think are a 50/50 toss up. Cuomo will announce his plans for reopening or not reopening certain regions for schools between August 1-7

"Piedmont Newnan is second on the list and listed as TOTAL diversion. Doesn’t mean we can close our doors, we still treat whatever comes. Don’t come to the ER unless it is an emergency. Expect to be seen in the lobby as there are no beds in house or in the ER. This type of diversion is nothing new, but not something we usually deal with in the middle of the summer. We have been full for weeks now."

image.thumb.png.c56c3086dd609f8d3a148660855fc70a.png

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My wife is unable to go back to work for awhile as foreclosures are delayed until at least Aug 19th and likely longer. Really hoping they extend the UI benefits even if they slash the $600 in half.

If they don’t extend the extra federal UI benefits the economy is gonna go into a total collapse like many thought it was going to when Covid started. Like you said I’m not saying continue the extra $600 a week because that’s a lot of money and a lot of people are making more on unemployment then they were working but they need to do something or many will fall quickly into poverty. The National average UI income without the added federal benefits is only $400 a week. Not many people can live on that and have money to still pump into the economy like they can when they are getting an extra $2400+ a month. Doesn’t matter to me as i am luckily headed back to work in August but for those who aren’t as lucky losing the extra $600 a week completely will be quite devastating.  

• Like 2

From my buddy in San Diego.

not sick enough to go to a hospital but the symptoms come in waves and kinda scary at times
i got swabbed yesterday, the testing is so backed up i might not get confirmed results until late next week
i barely slept 4 hours last night

im getting these headaches that come in waves and get dizzy
the headaches are ****ing brutal

They had a party of 30 people on July 4th, started getting symptoms on Thursday.

NJ , CT and PA have all done state extensions due to the high unemployment rate, this is on top of the 13 week federal extension..NY has yet to join the party..Seems like Republicans want nothing to do with the extra$600 a week, may be left out of next bill or could be a decreased amount.. Actually some law makers want to reward those that go back to work..

A good case study is Sweden. They remained completely open this entire time and although they have more deaths then most of the EU per capita they are decreasing in cases.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-07-07/swedens-daily-tally-of-new-covid-19-cases-falls-to-lowest-since-may

Health Agency data showed 14 new COVID-19 deaths were recorded on Tuesday, bringing the total to 5,447, more than half of which have occurred at nursing homes and among the elderly receiving home care services.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

NJ , CT and PA have all done state extensions due to the high unemployment rate, this is on top of the 13 week federal extension..NY has yet to join the party..Seems like Republicans want nothing to do with the extra$600 a week, may be left out of next bill or could be a decreased amount.. Actually some law makers want to reward those that go back to work..

How’s that grounding system working?

21 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

How’s that grounding system working?

Pretty much as advertised Dave..My girl actually just bought a couple more lol It's been helping her with soreness and tightness in her calf, she hasn't had to use an asthma inhaler since she started earthing.. Even works good on toothaches using the patches..I have been sleeping like a baby lol Much less Anxiety as well..Some sort of voodoo magic going on.. Actually honest to God, in-laws just came up and the mother has some sort of disc issue in her back, she had to lay in the car the whole ride up since she's having trouble sitting up, took 1 hour for her to become a believer lol They went and bought a pair before they could even make it back to the hotel, she sat up comfortably the entire ride home..She said even her chiropractor was surprised on how much less pain she was in since last appointment...Hmmmm..

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic