• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

3 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/erie-county/state-studying-if-coronavirus-can-be-spread-through-hvac-systems-in-places-like-gyms/

Officials just painted themselves into a corner. Simply open the gym and leave the HVAC off.

This makes zero sense. Air conditioning is in every building... Why do gyms with AC get closed and other businesses with AC get to stay open? :arrowhead:

Retail stores and restaurants literally use identical AC systems to gyms.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This makes zero sense. Air conditioning is in every building... Why do gyms with AC get closed and other businesses with AC get to stay open? :arrowhead:

I"m just playing devils advocate here, it's certainly a complicated topic but gyms are a unique place.  Using a post you made, your first day back at the gym you planned to go for a massive 3 hour session where you would be breathing heavy for hours, possibly coughing at times if you really exerted yourself.  You would be spitting  and grunting during heavy lifts.  You would be sweating all over the place.  You would be lifting up and touching tons of shared items and objects.  Gyms are inherently ****ing disgusting and absolute germ factories.  Add on to that the fact that people spend orders of magnitude longer in a gym than a regular store and you have a unique space that requires additional measures.  What if you had COVID-19 and weren't showing symptoms yet and went to the gym for your 3 hour super session.....it would not be good, and this type of thing will certainly happen

Now lets compare a home depot trip.  I walk in, grab my stuff, talk to no one, virtually touch nothing, dont sweat, don't grunt, don't breath heavy and leave 10 minutes later (and I wear a mask the entire time).  I see a very big difference.  Gyms are on a whole different level, and should be treated that way.  

20 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I can't make any claim that gyms in Norway has the same climate systems as gyms in the US - in fact, I'm pretty sure they don't -- but there is some evidence that compliance with modest restrictions makes gyms no more dangerous than the average setting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/health/coronavirus-gyms-fitness.html

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WNash said:

I can't make any claim that gyms in Norway has the same climate systems as gyms in the US - in fact, I'm pretty sure they don't -- but there is some evidence that compliance with modest restrictions makes gyms no more dangerous than the average setting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/health/coronavirus-gyms-fitness.html

Will be interested to see if selfish boneheaded Americans can pull this off.   And I say this because here are the countries we are comparing right now...

Capture.PNG.b4aae3c4c723f9aa81c85241431d8547.PNG

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I"m just playing devils advocate here, it's certainly a complicated topic but gyms are a unique place.  Using a post you made, your first day back at the gym you planned to go for a massive 3 hour session where you would be breathing heavy for hours, possibly coughing at times if you really exerted yourself.  You would be spitting  and grunting during heavy lifts.  You would be sweating all over the place.  You would be lifting up and touching tons of shared items and objects.  Gyms are inherently ****ing disgusting and absolute germ factories.  Add on to that the fact that people spend orders of magnitude longer in a gym than a regular store and you have a unique space that requires additional measures.  What if you had COVID-19 and weren't showing symptoms yet and went to the gym for your 3 hour super session.....it would not be good, and this type of thing will certainly happen

Now lets compare a home depot trip.  I walk in, grab my stuff, talk to no one, virtually touch nothing, dont sweat, don't grunt, don't breath heavy and leave 10 minutes later (and I wear a mask the entire time).  I see a very big difference.  Gyms are on a whole different level, and should be treated that way.  

I mean I can't disagree here. Gyms, indoor restaurants, concerts, sporting events, movie threatres are the prime locations for maximum spread. It also depends on a number of factors including time of day you go to the gym, what training you do, limitations enacted by the state. For instance I usually train Friday evenings, Saturday afternoons, and sunday afternoon. Those times feature very few people in the gym. If needed I could completely segregate myself from anyone at my gym. I would come into contact with more people at work. However, during the week between 4-8 the gym is mobbed and would be difficult to social distance. It would be easier to social distance on cardio equipment then on the free weight section. There are a few spots including the squat racks which crunch has 5 of them where you could definitely distance yourself as they are spread really far apart. No matter how hard I trained there it would be very unlikely to transmit germs. The same can be said for the cardio machines. If they did 1 over 1 it would be quite easy to distance.

They posted online that they installed these in all locations too.

image.thumb.png.b5b881a1b1f02423b144aff8a9d4772e.pngimage.thumb.png.0fe3cf87403d53173b4671c642f8b84a.png

At least deaths per day have steadily been going down even as cases increases. I know mortality has a 2-3 week lag time so we should once again see this spike the next few weeks. That is unless the hypothesize is true in that the virus is indeed weakening as is speculated on in Europe. Either that or the majority of people getting the virus are younger and able to beat it compared to the older population. I saw a few statistics that stated the average age in infection in Florida was mid 30s, so even though cases are going up, deaths are likely going to be going down slowly. The nursing homes really inflated deaths in the USA.

covid deaths.png

37 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cam Newton to Patriots... :(

Good now the division won’t be a cake walk. Let’s have some meaningful dueling running QB games this season. Could see some combined QB rush records with Cam and Allen going head to head. Over under at 200 yds combined Allen/Cam per matchup this season? 

still think we take the Division at 11-5 and Pats get into playoffs now at 10-6. Think we win our home game against them and lose in Foxborough where before I thought we sweep them. 

19 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

image.thumb.png.7603b8a047ad3987313b529126de1fee.png

That positive percentage increase is what’s so concerning considering how many more test are being done. You want to see it staying the same or even dropping as the number of test increase. Florida is up to 15% positive test when at the beginning of the month they were under 5% positive, and this is with the number of test increasing too. For comparison Florida had over 10,000 positive test today out of about 50,000-60,000 test preformed. New York is doing even more test at over 70,000 test daily and only has 500-600 positives daily on average. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

That positive percentage increase is what’s so concerning considering how many more test are being done. You want to see it staying the same or even dropping as the number of test increase. Florida is up to 15% positive test when at the beginning of the month they were under 5% positive, and this is with the number of test increasing too. For comparison Florida had over 10,000 positive test today out of about 50,000-60,000 test preformed. New York is doing even more test at over 70,000 test daily and only has 500-600 positives daily on average. 

Yeah Florida, Arizona, and Texas are in for quite a fun ride the next 1-2 months. Houston hospitals have already met capacity and are in surge capacity mode.

20 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/coronavirus-closures-americans-return-gym-study

Time for you to start building a home gym @BuffaloWeather There's going to be plenty of equipment on the market when these gyms start bankrupting. Maybe I can get that full set of dumbells I've always wanted...

Rent on gym facilities has to be sky high. The PPP has already run out. If they stay closed I can see loads of gyms closing. If the one close to me closes I will definitely be setting up one in my garage. But I'll always prefer a real gym to my home. I've met loads of long time friends there. My core group of friends are all related to the gym. The gym is a place we organize our hockey, football and basketball games. We discuss our travel plans. All the while making gains. I don't go to many bars anymore to socialize, the gym is my bar. 

14 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Either the virus is weakening over in Europe or something is really wrong.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-losing-its-lethality-in-italy-according-to-doctors-2020-6

image.png.294f0f55abad0f7ed00457a546d649d2.png

The virus certainly isnt weakening.  We are just seeing the true American selfishness and ignorance on full display.  We always knew it existed, but this virus has really made it shine.  Americans refuse to give up any of their personal freedoms for the greater good of the country.  You reap what you sow.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

The virus certainly isnt weakening.  We are just seeing the true American selfishness and ignorance on full display.  We always knew it existed, but this virus has really made it shine.  Americans refuse to give up any of their personal freedoms for the greater good of the country.  You reap what you sow.  

Sadly, it's a relative handful of people who refuse to comply with masks and social distancing. All we need to do to get through this is to accommodate some relatively small changes. I have cousins in Houston and in central Louisiana who claim that COVID-19 is a Chinese hoax. One of them depends upon his mother -- my aunt -- for childcare. She is in her early 70s and has survived cancer and has a weakened immune system because of RA meds, and her doctor has told her she is in a very high risk group. What is wrong with people that they'll believe what they hear from sleazy, lying politicians than what they hear from scientists, public health officials, and their own mother? I'm certain that even if my cousin were to give my aunt a fatal case of COVID-19, he would find a way to blame people he doesn't like (BLM protesters, Chinese people, Mexican immigrants) rather than the cynical politicians whose nonsense he follows devotedly and who have made this problem far worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

It's possible the virus is indeed weakening. Europe is almost completely open and has been for several weeks with few cases. US is more locked down then Europe is at the moment with 10 times as many cases being reported. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-losing-its-lethality-in-italy-according-to-doctors-2020-6

Italy into single digit deaths

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/italy-for-1st-time-sees-single-digit-daily-deaths-from-covid-19/1892183

49 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's possible the virus is indeed weakening. Europe is almost completely open and has been for several weeks with few cases. US is more locked down then Europe is at the moment with 10 times as many cases being reported. 

Italy into single digit deaths

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/italy-for-1st-time-sees-single-digit-daily-deaths-from-covid-19/1892183

I trust the thousands of scientists studying this virus, of which zero have made any mention of the virus weakening.  That first study is nearly a month old and had no backing from any other major medical doctors.  

This is simply a matter of people in Europe following instructions while Americans go out of their way to flout said instructions and are almost purposely trying to disobey all guidance.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I trust the thousands of scientists studying this virus, of which zero have made any mention of the virus weakening.  That first study is nearly a month old and had no backing from any other major medical doctors.  

This is simply a matter of people in Europe following instructions while Americans go out of their way to flout said instructions and are almost purposely trying to disobey all guidance.  

I think we trust science a little too much sometimes. This is from someone who loves science and the scientific method. For instance I had a doctor at Roswell who worked there for 30 years tell me in August of 2019 that my moms cancer had less then a 2% chance of coming back based on the latest PET scan. I just met with another doctor last Friday who told me my moms cancer is never going away and the only thing we can try to do is contain in and enhance her quality of life before she passes. That same doctor walked into the office with me and my mom and asked her what treatment she received, how she was feeling, what medications she was on, etc...It was if he looked at a MRI scan 1 minute before he walked through that door with no prior knowledge of the hundreds of visits we have had the last year to Roswell. I am also great friends with the dosimetrist who put together my moms treatment plan and have been for 2 decades...You would think they would put forth a little more effort? 

Not to mention the pathetic attempt at forecasting the weather KBUF has had the last few years. In addition to that the constant back and forth on wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. I sometimes think they do not know as much as we think they do...

U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams made comments in February and March 2020 recommending people not wear masks to help protect against the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus disease, and those comments began to recirculate online in April and May. As of April, though, Adams had changed his views in accordance with evolving recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and, to a lesser extent, from the World Health Organization (WHO). 

This is not including the ventilator issue early on in the treatment of the virus which likely led to permanent lung damage in people recovering and countless unnecessary deaths.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think we trust science a little too much sometimes. For instance I had a doctor at Roswell who worked there for 30 years tell me in August of 2019 that my moms cancer had less then a 2% chance of coming back based on the latest PET scan. I just met with another doctor last Friday who told me my moms cancer is never going away and the only thing we can try to do is contain in and enhance her quality of life before she passes. That same doctor walked into the office with me and my mom and asked her what treatment she received, how she was feeling, what medications she was on, etc...It was if he looked at a MRI scan 1 minute before he walked through that door with no prior knowledge of the hundreds of visits we have had the last year to Roswell. I am also great friends with the dosimetrist who put together my moms treatment plan and have been for 2 decades...You would think they would put forth a little more effort?  Not to mention the pathetic attempt at forecasting the weather KBUF has had the last few years. In addition to that the constant back and forth on wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. I sometimes think they do not know as much as we think they do...

U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams made comments in February and March 2020 recommending people not wear masks to help protect against the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus disease, and those comments began to recirculate online in April and May. As of April, though, Adams had changed his views in accordance with evolving recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and, to a lesser extent, from the World Health Organization (WHO). 

I’m very sorry about your Mom and hope she can be as well, happy, and comfortable as she can possibly be.

As for masks being not recommended before and during the beginning of the pandemic. It has already been posted on this forum numerous times that they were discouraging masks for the general public because there was such a shortage of them that even doctors, nurses, and other first responders couldn’t get them and the suggestion that they were not necessary to the general public was to conserve what little supply was available for those workers. It has been shown in many different studies if there is a large compliance (over 50-70%) of masks being worn it greatly can reduce the spread of the virus. I really don’t see what all the fuss about wearing a mask is about in places where social distancing is not possible. It literally takes 1 second to put on and after it’s on for a few minutes it’s almost not even noticeable anymore. If it could save somebodies life isn’t it worth it? Or does it not matter because you might be saving a life for someone you don’t know so it doesn’t effect you? I don’t mean you personally by the way just talking in general lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I’m very sorry about your Mom and hope she can be as well, happy, and comfortable as she can possibly be.

As for masks being not recommended before and during the beginning of the pandemic. It has already been posted on this forum numerous times that they were discouraging masks for the general public because there was such a shortage of them that even doctors, nurses, and other first responders couldn’t get them and the suggestion that they were not necessary to the general public was to conserve what little supply was available for those workers. It has been shown in many different studies if there is a large compliance (over 50-70%) of masks being worn it greatly can reduce the spread of the virus. I really don’t see what all the fuss about wearing a mask is about in places where social distancing is not possible. It literally takes 1 second to put on and after it’s on for a few minutes it’s almost not even noticeable anymore. If it could save somebodies life isn’t it worth it? Or does it not matter because you might be saving a life for someone you don’t know so it doesn’t effect you? I don’t mean you personally by the way just talking in general lol. 

That's not true. It had nothing to do with the supply of mask. The CDC was wrong in their initial recommendation. Which is very strange because they had over 2 months to come up with a remedy in preventing a respiratory illness from spreading. To me it seems like common sense that wearing a mask would help prevent spread.

Surgeon General: “Masks Increase Virus Risk”

Wearing one can "actually increase your risk" of getting the disease, says American Anesthesiologist and a vice admiral in the U.S. Public Health Service.

"There was a study in 2015 looking at medical students. And medical students wearing surgical masks touch their faces on average 23 times. We know a major way that you can get respiratory diseases like coronavirus is by touching a surface and then touching your face."

Masks also can give the wearer a "false sense of security.”

Also this from March...CDC said do not wear mask....Watch this video...

https://www.businessinsider.com/americans-dont-need-masks-pence-says-as-demand-increases-2020-2

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic