• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

3 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Screenshot_20200623-180739.png

I'm really interested in how sports happen this year.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/who-has-tested-positive-covid-19-sports-nikola-jokic-novak-djokovic-among-newest-reported

Clemson University

28 student-athletes and members of the athletic staff at Clemson have tested positive for the virus, according to college football reporter Bruce Feldman. The Athletic's Grace Raynor reported that 23 of the players were members of the football team.

13 Texas Football Players

The University of Texas announced on Thursday that 13 players in the football program tested positive for COVID-19. The announcement came just 10 days after the university brought players back to campus for workouts on June 8. 

19 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah it rained here pretty much all afternoon. Has to be well over an inch of it. Felt like a late September cold front coming through with the low clouds and chilly temps.

I didn’t mean to post this on the banter page.  Haha

18 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

He's really just trying to keep the gyms closed to prevent the resistance from being strong enough to fight back. :weight_lift:

It's killing me. Had June 30th set in my calendar for a 3 hour workout session. Now there is no real timeframe...Meanwhile I'm watching instagram stories of my buddies in California and Florida making gains. :weep:

21 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's killing me. Had June 30th set in my calendar for a 3 hour workout session. Now there is no real timeframe...Meanwhile I'm watching instagram stories of my buddies in California and Florida making gains. :weep:

So ever since riding my bike to steel mill as a kid I’ve had the lift heavy mindset. But I Recently came across myo reps, which work well if you don’t have access to a gym. You basically do an activation set of 30 reps, then 5 sets of 5 with just 5 sec reps in between. It’s only been a couple weeks but I still get sore the same way as lifting heavy. Might be worth looking into. 
I still do deadlifts and squats heavy, no way around that. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Cuomo forcing quarantines...

Not advocating helping it spread but this is asinine. 

Literally insane. I was planning to do a west coast road trip through the mountains in September. It better be lifted by then. How would they even enforce that? If I flew out to Vegas and flew back to NY and they made me quarantine, would I just go home for 2 weeks? Would I be able to still work? What if I drove to a state in which had high cases, but flew out of a state that had low cases. How would they even know. Ridiculous...

1 minute ago, WNash said:

Just curious, how is overtime for NYPD patrol officers lately? Are you guys getting extra shifts with all the craziness or are they cutting back already?

I have close to 100 hours of overtime this month.  Cops were doing 12 + hour tours for two weeks.  It was insane.

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Literally insane. I was planning to do a west coast road trip through the mountains in September. It better be lifted by then. How would they even enforce that? If I flew out to Vegas and flew back to NY and they made me quarantine, would I just go home for 2 weeks? Would I be able to still work? What if I drove to a state in which had high cases, but flew out of a state that had low cases. How would they even know. Ridiculous...

They won’t be able to enforce a damn thing. I have to take a trip to Tennessee in early August to help my mother out. I’m driving alone, stopping only for gas, and will be social distancing when I’m there (except for my mother, who is 78 and barely leaves her house). Are they going to stop me from going to Wegmans with a mask on?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

I have close to 100 hours of overtime this month.  Cops were doing 12 + hour tours for two weeks.  It was insane.

I wonder how many cops with enough service are gonna retire. And what that means for everyone else if there’s a long hiring freeze. Stay safe.

18 minutes ago, WNash said:

They won’t be able to enforce a damn thing. I have to take a trip to Tennessee in early August to help my mother out. I’m driving alone, stopping only for gas, and will be social distancing when I’m there (except for my mother, who is 78 and barely leaves her house). Are they going to stop me from going to Wegmans with a mask on?

Yeah I'm still going either way just took off almost 2 weeks in September. I've been working the entire time and only have used 1 PTO day out of my 23 for the year. I plan to fly into Vegas, rent my car and then be in nature for 2 weeks camping at various places. I'll be more socially distant on vacation then at work, thats for sure.

Was thinking something similar to this but with 3-4 days in Yosemite and a stop in San Diego.

image.png.9cb4fe734fb580e4ec34910dc9c83900.png

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I'm still going either way just took off almost 2 weeks in September. I've been working the entire time and only have used 1 PTO day out of my 23 for the year. I plan to fly into Vegas, rent my car and then be in nature for 2 weeks camping at various places. I'll be more socially distant on vacation then at work, thats for sure.

Was thinking something similar to this but with 3-4 days in Yosemite and a stop in San Diego.

image.png.9cb4fe734fb580e4ec34910dc9c83900.png

I might have to steal this, we're going out west in October. We also just booked a trip to St Lucia in January. Apparently they're allowing tourists back starting august 1st. If Cuomo gets his way he'll probably be detaining me when I get back for two weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

I might have to steal this, we're going out west in October. We also just booked a trip to St Lucia in January. Apparently they're allowing tourists back starting august 1st. If Cuomo gets his way he'll probably be detaining me when I get back for two weeks. 

One can only hope. Nothing personal but he’s the most competent governor in the country right now and tamped down the biggest hot spot in the world in under 2 months. I hope he sticks to his guns for the duration of this thing and continues being strict. 
 I’m blown away that people can’t just take 6-12 months off from traveling and being reckless. It’s pretty wild but exactly what I’d expect from spoiled Americans. I’ve barely left the house for 3 months and I’m thriving. Working on projects, gardening, building shit, fixing things, and doing a lot of reading. It’s a shame people can’t follow directions and not be selfish. Oh well...

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

In a nutshell. 
1C9852C5-6304-4458-A64F-3CB1432C4243.thumb.jpeg.d7486a0a438ebe9d3476a905c8361457.jpeg

I have stated this since the beginning. We are a selfish country worried about ourselves and no one else...whats best for me...i have also cancelled 2 trips this year and honestly I could care less. I will have other chances with my wife and with the kids as well next year or the year after. I just don't understand the allure from having to get away so bad right now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

One can only hope. Nothing personal but he’s the most competent governor in the country right now and tamped down the biggest hot spot in the world in under 2 months. I hope he sticks to his guns for the duration of this thing and continues being strict. 
 I’m blown away that people can’t just take 6-12 months off from traveling and being reckless. It’s pretty wild but exactly what I’d expect from spoiled Americans. I’ve barely left the house for 3 months and I’m thriving. Working on projects, gardening, building shit, fixing things, and doing a lot of reading. It’s a shame people can’t follow directions and not be selfish. Oh well...

That's highly debatable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/05/21/why-governor-andrew-cuomo-praised-coronavirus-response-column/5220164002/

I don't understand this reasoning. I come into contact with about 50 new people a day at my job. I would come into contact with less then 50 people in my entire trip out west. Why is one safer then the other? One is outside, one is inside. Why are Lowes, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc... allowed to be open but small shops with less traffic not allowed? None of it makes sense to me.

Are the PPP and unemployment going to be extended? We are 27 trillion in debt? Do you understand what that means? Do we let small businesses just fail if another lockdown occurs? 89% of businesses in this country have less then 20 employees. The large businesses that were allowed to stay open have become monopolies. Bezos on his way to becoming the first trillionaire. How does any of this make sense?

https://sbecouncil.org/about-us/facts-and-data/

What is the approximate timeline in when this all ends? Do you know? What if a successful vaccine never gets found? Whats the end game?

Is this the end game?

image.png.f9e4d5795c9e4a024ac84a3ffa17ef3d.png

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I have stated this since the beginning. We are a selfish country worried about ourselves and no one else...whats best for me...i have also cancelled 2 trips this year and honestly I could care less. I will have other chances with my wife and with the kids as well next year or the year after. I just don't understand the allure from having to get away so bad right now. 

You have a much higher chance of getting COVID at work or grocery shopping then traveling.

• Like 1

My situation is quite different. I had 4-5 trips planned in 2020 and early 2021 before me and the wife decide to have our kid. She just turned 33 and want to have it by the time shes 35. Lots of complications can happen after 35. Once I have a kid I don't plan to travel for quite awhile. This virus literally ruined my life travel plans. Call me selfish, so be it. We will all be dead by then time were 80-90, we could die tomorrow in a car accident. I'll take my chances against the virus, and protect the elderly in their homes.

• Like 1

@DeltaT13

pretty sure @BuffaloWeather has hit all the points I’d make about this.
I don’t think it’s selfish, it’s realist. People also forgot how much of the world depends on the US economy. The house we stay at in st Lucia has a staff of 7 with nothing to do right now. 

If this were a truly deadly disease, especially without comorbidity, I’d be all for hunkering down and trying to isolate. But it’s not. Nearly all (94%) of hospitalized patients in NYC had a comorbidity. 
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/nearly-all-nyc-area-covid-19-hospitalizations-had-comorbidities-67476

Hypertension, obesity, and diabetes. 
So instead of staying home, everyone should start eating better and getting more exercise. (I know that not all diabetes is diet induced)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You have a much higher chance of getting COVID at work or grocery shopping then traveling.

Not sure how that is. Every public place right now in NY requires a mask or no entry. Just the probability alone of being at places in the south at this time where they do not have such orders makes that a false statement. I know you're dying for travel and going to the gym but for a short time (and yes 6 to 12 months is short) to give those things up for the greater good really should not be debatable.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Not sure how that is. Every public place right now in NY requires a mask or no entry. Just the probability alone of being at places in the south at this time where they do not have such orders makes that a false statement. I know you're dying for travel and going to the gym but for a short time (and yes 6 to 12 months is short) to give those things up for the greater good really should not be debatable.

I disagree with the 6 to 12 months being a short period of time. You’re asking people to give up more than 1% of their life to MAYBE get a vaccine and save less than 1% of the population. Meanwhile that yearlong shutdown will probably contribute to an economic collapse (In other countries, were privileged here) that will cause more deaths than  the virus itself. 

• Like 1

Over 100,000 small businesses have already closed due to covid-19, this is despite PPP help. I know of several people who have come into my office with 20+ year old businesses that had to close due to not receiving funds from PPP and not enough capital to function while having to stay closed. In the coming months I expect this number to double/triple. We are well on our way into a depression for the first time since the 30s. Is all of this worth it? History will decide that in the coming years. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/12/small-business-used-define-americas-economy-pandemic-could-end-that-forever/

"But already, economists project that more than 100,000 small businesses have shut permanently since the pandemic escalated in March, according to a study by researchers at the University of Illinois, Harvard Business School, Harvard University and the University of Chicago. Their latest data suggests at least 2 percent of small businesses are gone, according to a survey conducted May 9 to 11."

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

I disagree with the 6 to 12 months being a short period of time. You’re asking people to give up more than 1% of their life to MAYBE get a vaccine and save less than 1% of the population. Meanwhile that yearlong shutdown will probably contribute to an economic collapse (In other countries, were privileged here) that will cause more deaths than  the virus itself. 

While I agree with a longer shutdown will contribute to an economic disaster, I also feel if we can at least be as careful as possible while opening up slowly then we can be more towards the 6 month timeframe. What concerns me is the uneven rules for different states at a macro level and the same uneven rules in the micro as well. Example, my son plays soccer at a high level and they were just added to the July 6th reopening for youth sports, however they can only participate in cardio type workouts and cannot engage in physical for at least 2 weeks after...yet on father's day I saw 2 different posts from 2 different families on Facebook regarding a softball tournament their daughters were taking part in Bradford PA. How did that even happen when they aren't even allowed to begin getting together until just shy if 2 weeks from now, let alone travel to another state? 

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic