• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

WNY hit all 7. They used stipulation in the metrics instead of 14 day decline in hospitalizations we met it using the criteria of 3 day rolling average less than 15 new hospitalizations today. Not sure when we are actually going to begin phase 1 but according to Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz we have met all 7 criteria needed to reopen. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

WNY hit all 7. They used stipulation in the metrics instead of 14 day decline in hospitalizations we met it using the criteria of 3 day rolling average less than 15 new hospitalizations today. Not sure when we are actually going to begin phase 1 but according to Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz we have met all 7 criteria needed to reopen. 

:thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

What about contact tracing? I thought that was the one we were missing?

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

Seems a bit fudged but Im sure you guys well take it lol. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Stupid, when we only had 4 or 5/7 they contract tracing category was listed as “expected” instead of a green or read check mark but counted as one of the 4 or 5 “green checks”. Now that we’re meeting all the other criteria the contact tracing category still says “expected” but counts as a red “x” instead of a green check. So technically I guess we still only have reached 6/7 metrics but not sure why that is when the expected contact tracing capacity was counting as a metric that was “good to go” but is now the only thing holding us back. 

40 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Seems a bit fudged but Im sure you guys well take it lol. 

It doesn’t really matter to me either way. I’m still taking every precaution and will be extra cautious until after my daughter is born (due in 3 weeks and she can build up somewhat of an immune system (6 months +). Am glad for the majority of people though who don’t have a year + worth of savings and need to work just to pay rent/mortgage. There’s no doubt that we must be strategic and thoughtful as were reopening but I do think now is the right time as we have seen a steady decrease all of NYS the last several weeks including WNY the past 2 weeks (save from a 2 or 3 day little “blip”). Will be interesting to see if infections increase as we open, level off, or continue to decrease as they have been. 

21 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

It doesn’t really matter to me either way. I’m still taking every precaution and will be extra cautious until after my daughter is born (due in 3 weeks and she can build up somewhat of an immune system (6 months +). Am glad for the majority of people though who don’t have a year + worth of savings and need to work just to pay rent/mortgage. There’s no doubt that we must be strategic and thoughtful as were reopening but I do think now is the right time as we have seen a steady decrease all of NYS the last several weeks including WNY the past 2 weeks (save from a 2 or 3 day little “blip”). Will be interesting to see if infections increase as we open, level off, or continue to decrease as they have been. 

You might want to ask your pediatrician if it’s possible to get an emergency dose of a steroid. Our daughter had a very weak immune system until she was 12 months - 15 months (due to treatment during a NICU stay). We had a steroid in the medicine cabinet just in case she needed it.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I can say this with great certainty. No one in my neighborhood has been social distancing at all. On Saturday night, 6 different houses had some kind of front of the house gathering and neighbors were back and forth to each others houses, and yesterday didn't slow down much until it rained...with 70's and maybe a crack at 80 next weekend we will see many more gatherings like this. We will soon see if there's another spike.

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I can say this with great certainty. No one in my neighborhood has been social distancing at all. On Saturday night, 6 different houses had some kind of front of the house gathering and neighbors were back and forth to each others houses, and yesterday didn't slow down much until it rained...with 70's and maybe a crack at 80 next weekend we will see many more gatherings like this. We will soon see if there's another spike.

I think these are the kinds of gatherings we need to slowly start doing. People need to start small. We have to gauge how bad things are and at least test the waters on how bad the spread will be as we begin to crawl out of our houses. The hospitals aren’t overrun if there is a spike.  
Large gatherings like concerts, sports, and packed bars need to wait, as a super spreader could still cause a dangerous outbreak.  But otherwise, I think the time has come.
It’s inevitable that we will eventually have to start socializing again, we just need to take baby steps.  I still haven’t made the plunge myself, but many of my friends have started to socialize within our group again. 

• Like 4

We went out for ice cream on Sunday with another family.

The outdoor seating was closed so everyone was hanging out by their cars.

None of us in our group (2 families, total 10 people) was wearing a mask.  A few people in other groups were but maybe 10% of all the customers.

We haven't had a new case diagnosed in our county in almost 3 weeks.  Plus we were outside in the sun on a breezy day.  

I think there was very little risk of anything happening in that setting.  

I agree with Delta, we have to get back to life starting with baby steps like going out for ice cream or hanging out in people's yards.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cuomo just announced from Roswell Park WNY has met the contact tracer metric and WNY is opening phase 1 tomorrow! He also said they will be opening up NYS to sports with no fans allowed. Sounds like there will be an NFL season but with no fans. Would be weird as heck with no fans but better than no football. However with Buffalo sports luck we will win the division for the first time since 1995 and then have a home playoff game for the first time in 25 years and no fans will be allowed lmao. 

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I think these are the kinds of gatherings we need to slowly start doing. People need to start small. We have to gauge how bad things are and at least test the waters on how bad the spread will be as we begin to crawl out of our houses. The hospitals aren’t overrun if there is a spike.  
Large gatherings like concerts, sports, and packed bars need to wait, as a super spreader could still cause a dangerous outbreak.  But otherwise, I think the time has come.
It’s inevitable that we will eventually have to start socializing again, we just need to take baby steps.  I still haven’t made the plunge myself, but many of my friends have started to socialize within our group again. 

These are great points of observation. It is concerning some of the video I've witnessed, especially the restaurant in Colorado that was slammed on mother's day and breaking several regulations. If I know WNY I know it's going to be near open season come this weekend when our first 80 degree day and happening on Memorial day come at the same time.

41 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Cuomo just announced from Roswell Park WNY has met the contact tracer metric and WNY is opening phase 1 tomorrow! He also said they will be opening up NYS to sports with no fans allowed. Sounds like there will be an NFL season but with no fans. Would be weird as heck with no fans but better than no football. However with Buffalo sports luck we will win the division for the first time since 1995 and then have a home playoff game for the first time in 25 years and no fans will be allowed lmao. 

I would take no fans for the entire season and then fans for the playoff game. Can you imagine the price of those tickets? The playoff game wouldn't be until January, I think we have fans by then.

Phase One: Starting May 15th Central New York, Finger Lakes, Mohawk Valley, North Country and Southern Tier are allowed to reopen 
  • Construction
  • Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting
  • Retail - (Limited to curbside or in-store pickup or drop off)
  • Manufacturing
  • Wholesale Trade
Phase Two: Not Open
  • Professional Services
  • Retail
  • Administrative Support
  • Real Estate / Rental & Leasing
Phase Three: Not Open
  • Restaurants / Food Services
Phase Four: Not Open
  • Arts / Entertainment / Recreation
  • Education

Great news:

https://www.foxnews.com/science/moderna-positive-phase-i-data-potential-coronavirus-vaccine

The Phase I trial of mRNA-1273 saw all patients receive a 25 microgram, 100 microgram or 250 microgram dose. Fifteen patients were in each group and those who participated in the study received two doses of the potential vaccine via an injection in the upper arm, 28 days apart.

At day 43, the group that received 25 micrograms, saw the same level of antibodies as people who had recovered from the disease. At day 43, the 100 microgram dose group saw levels of antibodies that "significantly exceeded the levels" seen in those who had recovered from the disease, the company added.

• Like 2

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

How long does each phase last? 2 weeks?

That’s that guidelines from the CDC based on the incubation period from the virus so that if we open things up tomorrow and in 2 weeks we haven’t seen a noticeable increase in hospitalizations or cases relative to test than we know we’re okay to proceed to the next phase. Cuomo did say theoretically it could be quicker in between periods if there’s still a strong decline over the period after each phase is open so I’m assuming if we still show a strong decline in cases/hospitalizations over 10 days there’s a chance we could move to the next phase sooner than the full 14 days.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

That’s that guidelines from the CDC based on the incubation period from the virus so that if we open things up tomorrow and in 2 weeks we haven’t seen a noticeable increase in hospitalizations or cases relative to test than we know we’re okay to proceed to the next phase. Cuomo did say theoretically it could be quicker in between periods if there’s still a strong decline over the period after each phase is open so I’m assuming if we still show a strong decline in cases/hospitalizations over 10 days there’s a chance we could move to the next phase sooner than the full 14 days.

Hopefully there is some truth to the warm weather having a positive impact on the spread and we see a gradual decline all summer. But I feel like its inevitable that cases go up as we reopen.

Phase One businesses that can reopen with a social distancing guideline in place include:

Manufacturing

Construction

Retail (delivery or curbside pickup)

If two weeks have gone by and there is no data to show that Phase One caused setbacks, then Phase Two can begin, which includes law firms, more retail, and professional service industries.

If another two weeks go by and there are still no setbacks, then Phase Three can begin, which are restaurants and bars in Western New York, with a limited capacity, per Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz.

This means that if there are no setbacks with the first two phases, restaurants and bars in Western New York could reopen by sometime in mid-June.

Phase Four would include movie theaters, other recreational businesses, and places of worship.

The entire opening process would take about eight weeks, assuming there are no setbacks. All businesses opening up must have a written plan in place for social distancing, submitted to the state before reopening, according to Mark Poloncarz.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Phase One businesses that can reopen with a social distancing guideline in place include:

Manufacturing

Construction

Retail (delivery or curbside pickup)

If two weeks have gone by and there is no data to show that Phase One caused setbacks, then Phase Two can begin, which includes law firms, more retail, and professional service industries.

If another two weeks go by and there are still no setbacks, then Phase Three can begin, which are restaurants and bars in Western New York, with a limited capacity, per Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz.

This means that if there are no setbacks with the first two phases, restaurants and bars in Western New York could reopen by sometime in mid-June.

Phase Four would include movie theaters, other recreational businesses, and places of worship.

The entire opening process would take about eight weeks, assuming there are no setbacks. All businesses opening up must have a written plan in place for social distancing, submitted to the state before reopening, according to Mark Poloncarz.

I'm pretty sure we will be stuck on phase 1 at least until mid June before we begin phase 2 so it's going to take awhile. 

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he is now encouraging major sports teams in the state to plan on reopening without fans.

"Hockey, basketball, baseball, football -- whoever can reopen -- we're a ready, willing and able partner," Cuomo said during his daily news conference.

"I think this is in the best interest of all the people and the best interest of the state of New York."

California Gov. Gavin Newsom later said sports could resume without fans in his state as soon as the "first week or so of June."

Speaking at his daily news conference, Newsom said sports could return "without spectators and with modification and very prescriptive conditions" if the number of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations in the state continue to decrease.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said professional sports without fans could resume there at the end of May.

Major League Baseball is in talks with players on a plan to restart the season, and the NFL released its schedule earlier this month.

"Personal disclosure, I want to watch the Buffalo Bills," said Cuomo, who gave his briefing in Roswell Park in Buffalo.

Western New York, including the city of Buffalo, has met the state's coronavirus containment goals and will begin Phase 1 of reopening its economy on Tuesday.

The Bills' organization, however, is not included in the Phase 1 plans and will not yet be able to return to its facility in Orchard Park.

40 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he is now encouraging major sports teams in the state to plan on reopening without fans.

"Hockey, basketball, baseball, football -- whoever can reopen -- we're a ready, willing and able partner," Cuomo said during his daily news conference.

"I think this is in the best interest of all the people and the best interest of the state of New York."

California Gov. Gavin Newsom later said sports could resume without fans in his state as soon as the "first week or so of June."

Speaking at his daily news conference, Newsom said sports could return "without spectators and with modification and very prescriptive conditions" if the number of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations in the state continue to decrease.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said professional sports without fans could resume there at the end of May.

Major League Baseball is in talks with players on a plan to restart the season, and the NFL released its schedule earlier this month.

"Personal disclosure, I want to watch the Buffalo Bills," said Cuomo, who gave his briefing in Roswell Park in Buffalo.

Western New York, including the city of Buffalo, has met the state's coronavirus containment goals and will begin Phase 1 of reopening its economy on Tuesday.

The Bills' organization, however, is not included in the Phase 1 plans and will not yet be able to return to its facility in Orchard Park.

Thats all well and good but I don't imagine these players and teams want to volunteer their time and play sports for free.  Sports are built on income from ticket sales. Without it, sports cannot function.  The entire foundation is gone without the fans and money.  Not sure how this would ever really work.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic