• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

12 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Cuomo can’t figure out how to fund the state in normal times, and doesn’t know why we keep missing revenue targets.  He said it plainly.  

He is doing great on the virus response.  His budget skills are atrocious.  One of the worst in the US.  Maybe CT and IL are worse?  

Agree with you, doing a great job. I know the NYS pension fund is doing well, but his budget is always terrible.

25 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Cuomo can’t figure out how to fund the state in normal times, and doesn’t know why we keep missing revenue targets.  He said it plainly.  

He is doing great on the virus response.  His budget skills are atrocious.  One of the worst in the US.  Maybe CT and IL are worse?  

Have to disagree on his management of the virus issue.

He has killed the arts, education and entertainment activities in NYC with his egregious lockdown policies. Those are the economic engines of the state..

So having induced cardiac arrest, he is surprised the patient is not generating the expected income?

PS  Not a fan, obviously, of the shutdown, whether by Trump or Cuomo. Dreadfully bad policy which will hurt us for years to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, etudiant said:

He has killed the arts, education and entertainment activities in NYC with his egregious lockdown policies. Those are the economic engines of the state..

So having induced cardiac arrest, he is surprised the patient is not generating the expected income?

PS  Not a fan, obviously, of the shutdown, whether by Trump or Cuomo. Dreadfully bad policy which will hurt us for years to come.

I am just waiting for all the legal action to begin...you think you've watched too many round up exposure commercials??? As T.O. once said, get your popcorn ready...

2 hours ago, etudiant said:

I am sitting on the fence about how I feel about the lockdown.  It’s extreme but I don’t k now what else to do.  

This patient hasn’t generated expected income for many years.  Somehow it got worse in the last 4.  

5 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Just read from nerd wallet that "economic health" ranking California 31st and New York 41st...so while not the worst damn close

I read California has a rainy day fund.  Or had one anyway...

which would be amazing if true.

3 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I read California has a rainy day fund.  Or had one anyway...

which would be amazing if true.

States, counties and cities with rainy day funds will emerge with the least impact on tax burden on residents and businesses.  DC is a prime example of this since they don't have full budget autonomy and get impacted pretty heavily during partial Fed shutdowns.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

States, counties and cities with rainy day funds will emerge with the least impact on tax burden on residents and businesses.  DC is a prime example of this since they don't have full budget autonomy and get impacted pretty heavily during partial Fed shutdowns.

DC lost their autonomy I think during Marion Berry’s reign. Congress took away their ability to govern themselves, iirc.  

10 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm positive that WNY and Finger lakes will not start phase 1 On May 15th. Maybe last week of May or June 6th. 

1 hour ago, brentrich said:

I'm positive that WNY and Finger lakes will not start phase 1 On May 15th. Maybe last week of May or June 6th. 

Governor just announced Finger Lakes (Rochester), Southern Tier (Binghamton), and Mohawk Valley have met all 7 requirements needed to begin reopening in phase 1 on Friday. 

23 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Governor just announced Finger Lakes (Rochester), Southern Tier (Binghamton), and Mohawk Valley have met all 7 requirements needed to begin reopening in phase 1 on Friday. 

The Onondaga County executive said we’re ready to open.

4 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Dr.Thomas  Frieden ( former cdc director ) was on Fox 5 news this morning. He said this virus is just beginning  and if we dont keep the measures in place once everything opens up then this will spread again like wildfire.

This is not feasible or mentally healthy for the public. Re-opening in the warmer months will be safer as more people spend time outdoors. There has to be a re-opening in phases, then containing hot spots.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, vortmax said:

This is not feasible or mentally healthy for the public. Re-opening in the warmer months will be safer as more people spend time outdoors. There has to be a re-opening in phases, then containing hot spots.

We should be reopening as fast as the healthcare system can keep up with. 

Payrolls fell by 20.5 million last month, leaving 23 million unemployed, the Labor Department said Friday. Another 6.6 million Americans left the workforce altogether, meaning they were neither employed nor looking for work. The nation's unemployment rate more than tripled, soaring to 14.7% from 4.4% in March — the highest since the Great Depression.

2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

We should be reopening as fast as the healthcare system can keep up with. 

The moral scruples on this decision are crazy.  I go back and forth every day.  Your scenario is the "kill the old people as fast as the hospitals can procees them" approach which may or may not be the right idea.  It all depends on whether or not a treatment can be devised to significantly lower the death rate for the elderly.   

Some days i think unfortunately that might be the right choice.

The next day I think about older friends and relatives and feel like a monster for thinking that way.  

It's just a whole lot of bad options.  

• Like 2

Among the other vital points included in the proposal:

• An expansion of playoff teams from 10 to 14;

• An 82-game season;

• The use of home stadiums in areas that have local and state governmental approval;

• A so-called spring training 2.0 that begins in June with a season set for early July;

• A universal designated hitter;

• Geographical schedules, in which teams play only in-division opponents and interleague opponents in a similar area (i.e. American League Central teams play only AL Central and National League Central teams);

• A 30-man roster with a taxi squad that would have upward of 50 players available.

The playoff expansion, which had been floated before the coronavirus pandemic hit, would increase revenue as it shrivels in other areas. Teams estimate that upward of 40% of revenue comes from ticket sales and other gate-related income.

The season could start on Fourth of July weekend with games around the country in home stadiums. The intradivision-heavy schedule would be to limit travel -- with teams possibly traveling by bus to nearby cities.

Spring training likely would not include any games, as teams could get ready for the season at their home stadiums. The 50 players available would be a mixture of major leaguers and top minor league players, with the minor league season in jeopardy.

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

The moral scruples on this decision are crazy.  I go back and forth every day.  Your scenario is the "kill the old people as fast as the hospitals can procees them" approach which may or may not be the right idea.  It all depends on whether or not a treatment can be devised to significantly lower the death rate for the elderly.   

The next day I think about older friends and relatives and feel like a monster for thinking that way.  

Yea I'm definitely not trying to be insensitive to the elderly, just think the smartest thing to do would be to get everything back up and running as quickly as possible while being smart about people who are at risk. 

The whole pause initiative was initially implemented to not overwhelm the hospitals, not prolong the spread in hopes for a vaccine or therapeutic treatment that may never come.

10 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Researchers are also finding indications that COVID-19 may have long-term effects for survivors, including cardiological, pulmonary, neurological, and renal complications. New information has been evident as the “pause” has gone on that shows the disease is certainly not localized to the lungs. Effects on ACE2 receptors, found in many major organs, and clotting complications have resulted in kidney failure, strokes, and abnormal heart rhythms even in many younger patients with “mild” cases. There are even indications that in relatively mild cases in young people, COVID-19 can damage gonadal function and disrupt male sex hormone production, potentially harming fertility in prime reproductive-age men. (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.21.20037267v2)

The approach that would do the least harm long-term would be to continue the pause and give researchers and doctors time to develop effective protocols (and ideally a vaccine). But that would require literal redistribution of wealth, and the rich people who call the shots would rather see the people who do the work have their health ruined than give up some of their own hoard.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic