• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

Sort of perverse that the pandemic response being advocated, and largely followed, is being pushed by "experts" in the healthcare field, writ large.  

I don't know what the right answer is but you don't have to be an expert to figure out what the economic impact will be to the healthcare system as we're seeing it real time.

At some point increased mortality due to non covid-19 causes will begin to register.  Of course by the time that data shows up and is processed by "thought leaders", it'll only be good for the next serious pandemic response 100 years from now (and probably forgotten by then).

By far the biggest thing I've learned from this is that should we ever face some existential threat, I.E. comet, meteor, super volcano etc. that it will be an absolute shit show. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Sort of perverse that the pandemic response being advocated, and largely followed, is being pushed by "experts" in the healthcare field, writ large.  

I don't know what the right answer is but you don't have to be an expert to figure out what the economic impact will be to the healthcare system as we're seeing it real time.

At some point increased mortality due to non covid-19 causes will begin to register.  Of course by the time that data shows up and is processed by "thought leaders", it'll only be good for the next serious pandemic response 100 years from now (and probably forgotten by then).

Why is this perverse? Aren't those the type of people that should be driving the response? 

5 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

By far the biggest thing I've learned from this is that should we ever face some existential threat, I.E. comet, meteor, super volcano etc. that it will be an absolute shit show. 

Another outcome that I think is possible is the end of major professional sports as we know them. Or at least the outrageous $ being made by Owners and Players.  They will be the next cohort in line for Bailouts, you watch. I don't see how any league survives if all/most teams aren't allowed to play by their state/local authorities.  France and Italy have already thrown in the towel on finishing this soccer season and others won't be far behind. Germany is pushing back any Bundesliga restart (which I really miss), as Mutti is nervous about R0 ramping back up.  And Germany are the most competent ones it seems. MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, all done, in present formats.

8 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

In lighter yet still relevant news, the local gas stations must've switched to the "summer blend" as prices spiked (at the Seneca reservation at least) some 25 to 30 cents this morning. Welcome to travel season...errr too soon? 

Still the cheapest gas prices since the 90s! $1.15 a gallon is nothing to be upset about ! I did fill up at Doogies last week for $0.79 a gallon! Cheapest gas of my lifetime for sure. Filled up my entire tank for under 10 bucks. 

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

Public health experts and epidemiologists should be driving a response to a pandemic. It's pretty obvious. Who would you suggest? 

I had a response posted but it was deleted somehow. 

"Expert" input should of course be considered and implemented where reasonable. I wasn't suggesting otherwise, as you seem to imply.  But, in short, there are more considerations than that which PHO's and academics such as epidemiologists will factor in to actual policy.  Left to their own devices, i fear that they would never allow reopening or significant relaxation of controls as cases will never be zero and there will always be the boogeyman of 2nd, 3rd, 4th waves lurking. Their models seem to be continually adjusted to fit whatever assumptions seem to fit the desired response...or after the fact to reflect actual data but by then it's too late.  Decision makers (e.g. elected pols) have other considerations, such as trying to avoid a long lasting economic Depression and the unpredictable and manifold negative consequences of that.  Which is not to say that the "denier bloc" has it right, as they are likely quite wrong in their approach, to put it mildly.  

32 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

In lighter yet still relevant news, the local gas stations must've switched to the "summer blend" as prices spiked (at the Seneca reservation at least) some 25 to 30 cents this morning. Welcome to travel season...errr too soon? 

I think they realized they could be making more money. I just paid 2.34 yesterday for premium at Delta, and that was with a $.35 unlimited member discount :(.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I think they realized they could be making more money. I just paid 2.34 yesterday for premium at Delta, and that was with a $.35 unlimited member discount :(.

$1.85 locally at BJs yesterday.  My son sent me a gas station photo from near Charleston SC.  $1.34/gal.  They were around $2/gal when I was there in January as a reference.  

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Does anyone know about going through a Delta car wash and having a Thule rack on the top? Do the things that wipe it down get caught? 

I had one on a G8 and never had issues. You have to take the attachments off though.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm getting hazard pay and nurses aren't. :huh:

Funny you should mention that! My wife works at a nursing home in Tonawanda and she received $1150 in a bonus that will be given once a month for the foreseeable future. This must be a part of the stimulus package because trust me when I say this it didn't come from the ownership group.

• Like 2

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

Funny you should mention that! My wife works at a nursing home in Tonawanda and she received $1150 in a bonus that will be given once a month for the foreseeable future. This must be a part of the stimulus package because trust me when I say this it didn't come from the ownership group.

Yesterday at work we questioned whether some businesses would take the loans and simply pass on the money to their employees. As long as they use 75% of it for payroll the loan is forgiven...

12 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Yesterday at work we questioned whether some businesses would take the loans and simply pass on the money to their employees. As long as they use 75% of it for payroll the loan is forgiven...

It also has to be used within 8 weeks from disbursement. 25% can be used for any other "business expense". If used within 8 weeks for these delegations it is 100% forgiven. If there is leftover money it turns into a 1% interest rate loan that must be repaid within 2 years. I would love a 1% interest rate loan to remodel my kitchen/bathroom. ^_^ There are companies that received this money and took very little hit from this lockdown. As a result they get free payroll/rent/taxes for 8 weeks and any profits can go right into the business holders pockets. The 1% getting richer as usual. 

4 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Of course by the time that data shows up and is processed by "thought leaders", it'll only be good for the next serious pandemic response 100 years from now (and probably forgotten by then).

This is the third new coronavirus in the last 20 years. To think it would be 100 years until we deal with something like this again is pretty off base.  Our intermingling as a species, efficient global transportation, and world food shortages (which create the necessity of wet markets) will certainly increase the likelihood of this becoming much more common going forward. 

Almost more importantly is how the value of life has changed as we evolve. Just imagine this virus a few hundred years ago.  We wouldn’t even know it was new or what it is was.  It may have never even spread or took hold. And the people that caught it would just get fevers and coughs and die like many other diseases. In other words, almost no reaction to it. There was no medical system to overwhelm and everyone just lived knowing you could die at anytime from any number or illnesses. (This mindset still exists in third world countries and almost everywhere until the early 20th century) In 2020 every life is treated with incredible value.  We try to keep people alive at all costs all the time.  The length of life is also a huge metric on overall wealth and stature in society as a whole.  This in itself poses major social scruples during a pandemic. 

All that said, we have just painfully learned we don’t even need a truly deadly new disease to blow up the world as we know it, the fear itself does it because our economies are fragile.  Just imagine if we end up with a virus that truly wipes out 10 percent of the population. The panic would be unreal and terrifying combined with an actual loss of people and important skills that would have tangible effects on all our lives.

If this current virus ends up as bad as it seems in regard to length and economic destruction, we may have a whole new normal in a few years.  I can imagine a global entity signed by nearly every country to continually live in a state where we can handle a pandemic without shutting down by creating a massive “moth balled” medical system that can be expanded to take on orders of magnitude more people at nearly anytime.  The entire reason this pandemic exists is because the global health system simply has almost no extra overhead (which I understand from a business and cost perspective).

The game may change after this all ends, could this bring global unity?  Or will it hasten the next great world war? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

This is the third new coronavirus in the last 20 years. To think it would be 100 years until we deal with something like this again is pretty off base.  Our intermingling as a species, efficient global transportation, and world food shortages (which create the necessity of wet markets) will certainly increase the likelihood of this becoming much more common going forward. 

Almost more importantly is how the value of life has changed as we evolve. Just imagine this virus a few hundred years ago.  We wouldn’t even know it was new or what it is was.  It may have never even spread or took hold. And the people that caught it would just get fevers and coughs and die like many other diseases. In other words, almost no reaction to it. There was no medical system to overwhelm and everyone just lived knowing you could die at anytime from any number or illnesses. (This mindset still exists in third world countries and almost everywhere until the early 20th century) In 2020 every life is treated with incredible value.  We try to keep people alive at all costs all the time.  The length of life is also a huge metric on overall wealth and stature in society as a whole.  This in itself poses major social scruples during a pandemic. 

All that said, we have just painfully learned we don’t even need a truly deadly new disease to blow up the world as we know it, the fear itself does it because our economies are fragile.  Just imagine if we end up with a virus that truly wipes out 10 percent of the population. The panic would be unreal and terrifying combined with an actual loss of people and important skills that would have tangible effects on all our lives.

If this current virus ends up as bad as it seems in regard to length and economic destruction, we may have a whole new normal in a few years.  I can imagine a global entity signed by nearly every country to continually live in a state where we can handle a pandemic without shutting down by creating a massive “moth balled” medical system that can be expanded to take on orders of magnitude more people at nearly anytime.  The entire reason this pandemic exists is because the global health system simply has almost no extra overhead (which I understand from a business and cost perspective).

The game may change after this all ends, could this bring global unity?  Or will it hasten the next great world war? 

I did state "serious" pandemic.  Perhaps I should have clarified so as to say, the last one, H1N1 Swine flu, which didn't need, or result in this sort of clusterf*ck.  

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic