• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

Unemployment only gives you extensions when the unemployment rate is high, which means not much work out there lol

Not easy for everyone to find a job especially when you have 20 applicants for every 1 job opening..

Yeah I was looking for 2-3 years in 2008-2011 time frame. I got laid off from a large company and because I didn't finish my degree and very little experience outside of restaurants no one hired me. 

• Like 1

To me it's understandable lol

If I worked at a grocery store making min wage and had a chance to sit home and collect 3x the amount without the chance of getting sick, hard to pass that up..lol

Unemployment didn't do anyone favors by allowing people to quit and still collect (pua)..

• Like 1

Giving everybody$600 extra a week was probably a mistake, no one wants to work anymore lol

The hourly managers at RAC are pissed because the regular employees are getting paid more to sit home:lol:

Some of the managers have thought about quitting..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

To me it's understandable lol

If I worked at a grocery store making min wage and had a chance to sit home and collect 3x the amount without the chance of getting sick, hard to pass that up..lol

Unemployment didn't do anyone favors by allowing people to quit and still collect (pua)..

Plus with unemployment you don't get health insurance, so you're kind of screwed if anything happens to you during that time. Knowing my luck as soon as I lost my insurance, something really bad would happen like last time. I broke my ankle playing hockey and my wife was in the hospital having surgery for kidney stones. Literally 2 weeks after I lost my insurance...:arrowhead:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Giving everybody$600 extra a week was probably a mistake, no one wants to work anymore lol

The hourly managers at RAC are pissed because the regular employees are getting paid more to sit home:lol:

Some of the managers have thought about quitting..

Plus they're plenty of people who will take the extra money and work side jobs off the books.

• Like 1

I’m very liberal and even I think that extra $ is a mistake. I mean, someday we HAVE to pay this back, right? I’m definitely not opposed to giving someone a decent unemployment check, but when it rivals what you’d actually make- you lose all incentive to return. 
Hope this is over soon. I think April will just about wrap it up. The normalization process will take must of May, but then we’ll be looking good for summer. 

My situation is a little different because I was laid off (no fault of my own) before this outbreak started but it's now preventing me from finding work...I had 2 job interviews cancelled because of this and only 1 new job has opened up on indeed over the last 3 weeks.(within 25miles) 

Now im waiting on a letter to re-certify another 13 weeks as unemployment is up to 39weeks..

I'm worried what's to come after?

I have no idea how the job market will respond, unemployment may have no choice but to continue handing out extensions until the unemployment rate drops...

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I’m very liberal and even I think that extra $ is a mistake. I mean, someday we HAVE to pay this back, right? I’m definitely not opposed to giving someone a decent unemployment check, but when it rivals what you’d actually make- you lose all incentive to return. 
Hope this is over soon. I think April will just about wrap it up. The normalization process will take must of May, but then we’ll be looking good for summer. 

I think the extra $600 only goes until July 31st which is when most people should start going back to work. For instance my wife makes around what you would get for the $600+normal UI. She got "furloughed" as a result of this pandemic. As soon as this is done she will go right back to work. So I get why they added the $600. 

10 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

My situation is a little different because I was laid off (no fault of my own) before this outbreak started but it's now preventing me from finding work...I had 2 job interviews cancelled because of this and only 1 new job has opened up on indeed over the last 3 weeks.(within 25miles) 

Now im waiting on a letter to re-certify another 13 weeks as unemployment is up to 39weeks..

I'm worried what's to come after?

I have no idea how the job market will respond, unemployment may have no choice but to continue handing out extensions until the unemployment rate drops...

It was a very depressing time for me applying to hundreds of jobs, dozens of interviews and getting turned down over and over. It went on for 2-3 years and was a very dark time of my life.  Keep your head up and always keep confident in your abilities. You will get something! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I don't think it'll ever be over.  They've boxed themselves into following model output!  We here know the folly of that!  ;)

• Like 1

The reason the government did this was to add up to the"average" American check..

Avg American worker makes something like$938 a week, average unemployment is something like$380 a week so by adding the$600 you get $980 a week.. Obviously not everyone makes nearly$1k a week...

I have noticed my anxiety going down big time since I stopped paying attention to what's going on in the world and only concentrate on Oswego county...It's pretty much been 1 new confirmed each day..

• Total # people tested: 668 (yesterday: 642)
  • Total # of positive cases: 33 (yesterday: 32)
  • Total # of negative results: 585 (yesterday: 564)
  • Pending results: 50 (yesterday: 43)
  • Total # of people in precautionary quarantine: 69 (yesterday: 62)
  • Total # of people in mandatory isolation/quarantine:  88 (yesterday: 97 )
  • Total recoveries: 16 (yesterday: 14)
  • Total completed/released from monitoring: 605 (yesterday: 575

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It was a very depressing time for me applying to hundreds of jobs, dozens of interviews and getting turned down over and over. It went on for 2-3 years and was a very dark time of my life.  Keep your head up and always keep confident in your abilities. You will get something! 

My wife (and therefore I) went through a similar scenario in the same timeframe.  Graduated from college in 2007, but she didn't get a full time teaching job until 2012.  Schools were either laying off teachers or not replacing those who retired.  Then when things started improving, the schools had to offer the new openings to all those who had been laid off first.   She kept taking long term sub positions (Pulaski and APW) and eventually earned a full time classroom teaching position.  Like BW said, it was tough on her confidence.  Teaching elementary kids is definitely the perfect career for her, but she was literally questioning it for YEARS.  

Wolfie, keep pushing on and you’ll earn yourself a good job! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

I have noticed my anxiety going down big time since I stopped paying attention to what's going on in the world and only concentrate on Oswego county...It's pretty much been 1 new confirmed each day..

• Total # people tested: 668 (yesterday: 642)
  • Total # of positive cases: 33 (yesterday: 32)
  • Total # of negative results: 585 (yesterday: 564)
  • Pending results: 50 (yesterday: 43)
  • Total # of people in precautionary quarantine: 69 (yesterday: 62)
  • Total # of people in mandatory isolation/quarantine:  88 (yesterday: 97 )
  • Total recoveries: 16 (yesterday: 14)
  • Total completed/released from monitoring: 605 (yesterday: 575

Some thoughts. Not a rant.

Onondaga County data shows a 93.4% negative test rate...and they're only testing "sick" people. There are under 300 active cases (377 total). Yet, the Cty Exec is railing on about the potential for as many as 5,000 cases at one time if we don't stay in lockdown or increase it (which he has...albeit largely voluntary).  He is getting the 5,000 number from an Upstate Medical model of virus case progression for various R0 and participation rate values (38% participation gets us 5,000 new daily cases in August..).  He claims we are at 33% participation, don't know how that value us determined, it's likely fuzzy math. I won't even get into the ventilator-need projections.

Yet, hospitals are laying off staff because they're empty (elective treatments postponed). So, in essence, they declare this "a war" (ok I'll buy that), and destroy the economy, but then we downsize the Army.  Something is really amiss here, big picture.

I suspect what's amiss is an over projection of R0 values in lower pop density areas, and an underestimation of lockdown participation rate, coupled with basically a panicked response.  Granted, high pop density areas have been a problem but that's likely due to a preponderance of transmission being between family members in urbanized areas (per info from China and Italy, Spain). How long do we sit here with empty hospitals, masses unemployed, businesses shuttering and low case loads? There are 29 people hospitalized in the county. 29.

The good news is we are trending far below projections of cases (here). At some point soon, they are going to need to relax restrictions and transition to normal if caseload growth remains low. Even at 15 new cases a day that's 1,500-2,000 total cases by August, which sounds like a lot but is manageable, as we are seeing by the empty hospitals. Or, be a slave to models, which means it'll never end because we'll never get "low enough" and they will always point to exponential growth possibilities.

I think in a couple of weeks we will begin to see a lot of friction between the Governer, who is NYC focused, and leaders in the rest of the state as i suspect Cuomo will be much more reluctant to relax any measure of control he has in place.

• Like 2

OSWEGO COUNTY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The Oswego County Health Department says that two Oswego County residents have died from coronavirus. They were both in hospitals in a neighboring county, and were both adults. That is as much information as the health department will release.

“We extend our deepest condolences to the loved ones of these patients,” said Oswego County Legislature Chairman James Weatherup. “While we have anticipated and prepared for the spread of coronavirus to our county, the deaths are an unfortunate development in our efforts to fight this disease, and something that we never wanted to see.”

County Public Health Director Jiancheng Huang said, “We are working with our state and local partners to limit the impacts of this disease in our community. Most cases of COVID-19 exhibit mild or moderate symptoms. However, elderly persons and those with underlying health conditions are particularly vulnerable to developing more serious complications.”

If you die at home from the coronavirus, there’s a good chance you won’t be included in the official death toll, because of a discrepancy in New York City’s reporting process.

The problem means the city’s official death count is likely far lower than the real toll taken by the virus, according to public health officials.

It also means that victims without access to testing are not being counted, and even epidemiologists are left without a full understanding of the pandemic.

Continue reading

• Sad 1

As the country battles a rapidly growing number of coronavirus infections, 13 coroners and medical examiners in nine states told CNN that they are struggling to acquire the supplies needed to test bodies arriving at their facilities for the disease.

With concerns growing about the coronavirus death toll being incomplete because of lack of testing for the living, coroners and medical examiners said being unable to test the dead compounds the issue. They said they are worried that deaths are being significantly undercounted and that as a result, the statistics used by the federal and state governments to chart the virus's spread and severity are far from reliable. Contacts of the deceased may not get the warnings they need to help keep the disease from spreading; families may be left not knowing what killed their loved ones.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

Anyone else notice how inconsistent reporting is in some other countries? Here is France for example. Today they're already approaching 12k new cases. On the 4th they reported an additional 18k cases that were unreported from nursing homes.

image.png.64e1b5c22e6a73d08f12b9542c808571.png

They had a backlog type dump a few days ago where they reported 23K cases in a day. 

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic