• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

11 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Was hoping to hop on the home buying bandwagon mid last year but the prices took off just before I was in the financial position to upgrade.  Not even worth looking right now as what I want is above my price range.  Figure things have to level off here at some point.  Might as well use another year to pay down some more debt and bank some additional down payment funds and hope the market is more stable then.  Just crazy how fast these prices have gone up.  Bought my house in 2010 for 90k (houses in my neighborhood are all almost identical and usually run close in price)  At that time the average price range was running 85k-95k.  Price increased slowly to a 115k-125k range in 2017/2018.  Now post pandemic houses here still in decent shape or recently renovated can fetch 200k+

A quarter mil for a 3 bed 1 bath in South Buffalo.  Come on…

59CE7D43-4FB2-4304-AEAE-CF59E2036EA1.jpeg

Yeah I'm never selling my current home. I do plan to buy another in the next 5-6 yrs but will rent out my current home. Its basically free money at 2.75% interest. I could get $700 more per month from renting then my entire mortgage+taxes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This has been known for months, it was finally official lol. Things are looking good for the first time in years. We have 3 1st round picks this year too. With 3 top 25 prospects coming to the team next year in Power (1st overall), Peterka, and Quinn.

Yeah I really don't follow sabres hockey so I had no idea lol Figured you guys probably knew, I post good and bad sporting news on here, good luck to you guys next year:)

9 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah I really don't follow sabres hockey so I had no idea lol Figured you guys probably knew, I post good and bad sporting news on here, good luck to you guys next year:)

Yeah, we knew about 10 games into the season and I'm not exaggerating.  This team is a dumpster fire, even with these last few weeks of garbage time wins I'm not sold there is any real change on the horizon.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Yeah, we knew about 10 games into the season and I'm not exaggerating.  This team is a dumpster fire, even with these last few weeks of garbage time wins I'm not sold there is any real change on the horizon.  

I'd say give them a chance.

This is a very different team than the one that took to the ice last fall.

I've been a hockey fan for decades.  The Sabres of the last 3 years were unwatchable for me they were so bad. I couldn't get through a game because the lack of skill and more importantly the lack of effort was repulsive.

The talent level now is rising rapidly and the effort is there. So is the coaching. These guys are young and hungry and want to win.

If UPL is any good in goal next year, or they can add a good veteran goalie, they could be competing for a playoff spot this time next year.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

If we get an NHL caliber goalie next year we will be fighting for the wildcard spot. Granato is a great coach, the first one I actually trust since Lindy in his prime.

30 minutes ago, cny rider said:

I've been a hockey fan for decades.  The Sabres of the last 3 years were unwatchable for me they were so bad. I couldn't get through a game because the lack of skill and more importantly the lack of effort was repulsive.

The talent level now is rising rapidly and the effort is there. So is the coaching. These guys are young and hungry and want to win.

If UPL is any good in goal next year, or they can add a good veteran goalie, they could be competing for a playoff spot this time next year.

I don't think hes the future at goalie. Levi and Portillo are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

We shall see.  I've never been more sour about this team than I have become during the last 3 years.  I had season tickets back in the 90's at the Aud so I'm not some recent fan that just thinks this team stinks...I've been on this ride for a long time.  For a long time hockey and the Sabres were hands down my favorite sport.  Since the 2006-2007 season it has been a steady and painful decline with each year being more embarrassing than the previous one.   The Sabres failed to qualify for the 2008 playoffs and became only the third team in NHL history to go from finishing first overall in the regular season standings to finishing out of the playoffs the following year.   Then just a few years back we won 10 in a row (This is when RJ coined the term, this team is good, scary good) and we thought the time had come for change.  That season went on to spiral into one of the worst of the decade.  I won't be sold that we are on the right trajectory until we can get some back to back seasons that show promise..... so at the earliest it'll be 2024 before I'm convinced that true change has occurred, and yes we need a god damn franchise goaltender.  Ugh, the pain of being a Buffalo sports fan.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Smart move from our Canadian friends

Canada to Ban Foreigners From Buying Homes as Prices Soar

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-06/canada-to-ban-some-foreigners-from-buying-homes-as-prices-soar

Whats going on there reminds me of when everyone was jumping into crypto. There's no way that bubble doesn't burst.

4 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Ouch

Always got next year..lol

Screenshot_20220407-114704.png

I'm a bit surprised that 11 straight non-playoff seasons is a record for the NHL.  I thought it would have been more for some reason.  I guess I'm thinking about other sports where not as many teams make it and you can go a long time between postseason appearances even if you're decent.  The NHL has always invited a lot of teams to the playoff party.  In the Original Six era, 4 out of the 6 teams made it.  16 out of 21 made it from the early 80's (post WHA merger) until the league began expanding again in the early 90's.  I think the Leafs made it one year in the 80's with almost 50 losses.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Buckeyes_Suck said:

Whats going on there reminds me of when everyone was jumping into crypto. There's no way that bubble doesn't burst.

Except crypto is going to keep going up. I believe in it. I think a steady increase vs the craziness of last year. Especially with the new ISO eventually being implemented. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/iso-20022-cryptos-5-compliant-194204661.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFWLiKaAtRwYgGLu_vvAU6ibtT5vTdJxnughEdbnK5A5m10AwJp0yEfQKjQ99vIJg7seKYs5uweIyJy6cguDVvsg4B0hoRj1xpFbmHnhxE5UKbMz5Iek60xiG2JKxHq2QOvttsl5vi_H-Sd8Yhw0HRJ9IaQSHwiYpcY5TVNANw-G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

We shall see.  I've never been more sour about this team than I have become during the last 3 years.  I had season tickets back in the 90's at the Aud so I'm not some recent fan that just thinks this team stinks...I've been on this ride for a long time.  For a long time hockey and the Sabres were hands down my favorite sport.  Since the 2006-2007 season it has been a steady and painful decline with each year being more embarrassing than the previous one.   The Sabres failed to qualify for the 2008 playoffs and became only the third team in NHL history to go from finishing first overall in the regular season standings to finishing out of the playoffs the following year.   Then just a few years back we won 10 in a row (This is when RJ coined the term, this team is good, scary good) and we thought the time had come for change.  That season went on to spiral into one of the worst of the decade.  I won't be sold that we are on the right trajectory until we can get some back to back seasons that show promise..... so at the earliest it'll be 2024 before I'm convinced that true change has occurred, and yes we need a god damn franchise goaltender.  Ugh, the pain of being a Buffalo sports fan.  

At least we have the bills to keep us happy until the Sabres are better

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

True but at a realistic pace, just like housing. Mixed in there will be epic crashes like when BTC hit 60k.

All my investment is in TRX and XRP right now :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

At least we have the bills to keep us happy until the Sabres are better

I'm already excited about next fall.  I think we are going to have 2 good, exciting teams to root for, for the first time in who knows how many years.

• Like 2

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion but now it's official.. First playoff appearance since 2017.. Currently tied atop the metropolitan division with Carolina (rangers have played 1 more game), the 2 teams meet on Tuesday for an important showdown..

Screenshot_20220409-221536.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cny rider said:

But Portillo is staying in college I hear.

What to do in goal?  UPL better be ready !

I was hoping one of Levi or Portillo would sign. It's not a good sign as Portillo will be a FA after next season. Levi we have 2 years left still. Levi is a much better goalie We will make a trade/FA signing this offseason to hopefully solve or goalie issue. We have loads of picks and cap space to make it happen.

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I was hoping one of Levi or Portillo would sign. It's not a good sign as Portillo will be a FA after next season. Levi we have 2 years left still. Levi is a much better goalie We will make a trade/FA signing this offseason to hopefully solve or goalie issue. We have loads of picks and cap space to make it happen.

I can't see why a young goalie wouldn't be jumping at the chance to come to Buffalo.

It's an up and coming team and if you put in a solid year in the minors you are probably walking straight into an NHL starting job.

They really laid an egg tonight against Tampa Bay.  Let's hope it's out of their system for the Toronto game.  I'd hate to see Power embarrassed on "home" ice in his first NHL game.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Was thinking about setting up an invite only discord for our forum as it grows. Does anyone here use discord or would be interested in something like this?

I still don't understand what discord and "sesh"ing are... I don't keep up with all these terms. lol

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

I still don't understand what discord and "sesh"ing are... I don't keep up with all these terms. lol

Its like an online messenger similar to facebook messenger except its so much better. Can post vids/pics in it very easily and can have voice channels. There is an app for it as well as computer installation whichever you prefer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1