• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

5 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

God damn unreal.  City was like the Wild West earlier.  High speed chase from foot of ferry up the west side cut over the 198 to 33 down Bailey though the east side cut through K town all the way into West Seneca back up through South Buffalo until dude finally wrecked on Fillmore.  Multiple suspects in car apparently fired hundreds of rounds while at high speeds out the window and ended up hitting 3 cops in pursuit.  Amazing no one was killed.   

I grew up a few blocks from here and we had shootings nearly every weekend all summer. @Blue Moon this is what I meant the other day. 

My wife grew up in the hills of Eden. When we were dating I took her to my old home and there were 20 police cars on grant street with 3 bodies laying on the ground. She never seen anything like it. Safe to say we moved to Hamburg instead of the city lol. 

10 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I will say it’s much better then it was in the mid/late 90s. It was terrible back then. 

Looking at it further, I thought it was on the west side, but looks like east side. Grew up near west ferry, but the other side closer to grant street.

My wife and I lived in Amherst and worked in Buffalo at the VA, ECMC, and RPCI in the late nineties.

It was a dangerous sh**hole.

When we left, if you told me we would be bringing our kids for long weekends and staying in downtown Buffalo 20 years later I would have laughed at you.

But here we are doing it.  It's so much better than it was back then but it's still not perfect.

10 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I grew up a few blocks from here and we had shootings nearly every weekend all summer. @Blue Moon this is what I meant the other day. 

My wife grew up in the hills of Eden. When we were dating I took her to my old home and there were 20 police cars on grant street with 3 bodies laying on the ground. She never seen anything like it. Safe to say we moved to Hamburg instead of the city lol. 

The old saying rings true:  Out in the country we look up and startle when we hear sirens but don't do much when we hear gunshots.

In the city they ignore sirens but pay careful attention to gunshots.

57 minutes ago, cny rider said:

The old saying rings true:  Out in the country we look up and startle when we hear sirens but don't do much when we hear gunshots.

In the city they ignore sirens but pay careful attention to gunshots.

That’s funny.  What struck me in the video was how the gun shots sounded like “pops” from little toy guns.  I’m used to hearing big rifles that “boom” and sometimes echo across the valley.  I probably hear at least a few big guns at some point every single weekend.  Now I wonder if sound from their pistols just doesn’t carry far enough for me to hear it.  My big gun doesn’t get used much, but my .22 gets fired probably an average of once per day….for bird feeder “maintenance.” 

29 minutes ago, cny rider said:

My wife and I lived in Amherst and worked in Buffalo at the VA, ECMC, and RPCI in the late nineties.

It was a dangerous sh**hole.

When we left, if you told me we would be bringing our kids for long weekends and staying in downtown Buffalo 20 years later I would have laughed at you.

But here we are doing it.  It's so much better than it was back then but it's still not perfect.

Yeah I just remember as a kid growing up in the inner city in the 90s and looking back at how bad it was. I never knew it was bad at the time and thought it was normal to hear gunshots nearly every weekend and getting broken into a few times while we lived there. Luckily it is much better than it was and is being economically revitalized. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I just remember as a kid growing up in the inner city in the 90s and looking back at how bad it was. I never knew it was bad at the time and thought it was normal to hear gunshots nearly every weekend and getting broken into a few times while we lived there. Luckily it is much better than it was and is being economically revitalized. 

What happened to those “bad” people?  Did they just move to a different area nearby?  Move to a different city?  I have always wondered how society could deal with these areas where generations of people have lived lives of crime, drugs, etc.  It seems like a very difficult cycle to break. 

20 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

What happened to those “bad” people?  Did they just move to a different area nearby?  Move to a different city?  I have always wondered how society could deal with these areas where generations of people have lived lives of crime, drugs, etc.  It seems like a very difficult cycle to break. 

I think as a city improves economically it has a huge factor on crime. If people have a good place to work where they feel valued it helps the entire community. There have also been many programs put into place by the city to help those less fortunate. 

It also has something to do with who's in charge..I was shipped off to my grandparents in suburban NJ in the mid 90s due to the high crime rate in NYC.. Before Rudy G flipped his top he did a lot of good things for NYC, especially with lowering crime rate..I also think 9/11 had something to do with it as the city came together..Now for whatever reason sexual assault has gone up while all other crime has gone down..For example in 1990 NYC had 2600 homicides and 112k robberies while in 2019 they had 550 murders and 18k robberies..Keep in mind population is higher now compared to the 1990s...

https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

It also has something to do with who's in charge..I was shipped off to my grandparents in suburban NJ in the mid 90s due to the high crime rate in NYC.. Before Rudy G flipped his top he did a lot of good things for NYC, especially with lowering crime rate..I also think 9/11 had something to do with it as the city came together..Now for whatever reason sexual assault has gone up while all other crime has gone down..For example in 1990 NYC had 2600 homicides and 112k robberies while in 2019 they had 550 murders and 18k robberies..Keep in mind population is higher now compared to the 1990s...

https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm

That’s a remarkable reduction!  It leads me to the same question, though.  Did all those people who were shooting and robbing others go get jobs and get straight?  Did a welfare check cover all their needs?  Were they all put in jail?  Or did enough of them get thrown in jail to chase many of them over to a different location with less severe consequences?  

I should probably stop asking this question because it is going to lead to a political argument, but I am genuinely interested in an effective way to help people who are currently living “that life.” 

1 hour ago, winter_rules said:

That’s a remarkable reduction!  It leads me to the same question, though.  Did all those people who were shooting and robbing others go get jobs and get straight?  Did a welfare check cover all their needs?  Were they all put in jail?  Or did enough of them get thrown in jail to chase many of them over to a different location with less severe consequences?  

I should probably stop asking this question because it is going to lead to a political argument, but I am genuinely interested in an effective way to help people who are currently living “that life.” 

Some of them can't be helped or don't want to be helped.  You look at the ones who have been in and out of jail their entire lives, arrested dozens of times for the same offense, etc. There comes a point where you have to assume that they simply don't give a damn.  To be fair, there are people who might have screwed up once and could turn things around with a second chance.  Do we make it too difficult for people to reacclimate to society after serving their sentence?  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 8:31 PM, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Stinks it took them this deep into the season to get some rhythm and chemistry flowing.  Lots of good young talent in the lurks really hope they can pull together a better start next season. It has been nice the games have been at least interesting to watch lately.  

Another solid effort from the Sabres last night.

They had a great month of March.  Look at the teams they beat.

They played at least as well as the Jets last night, who are a low end playoff team.

I think that's what the Sabres are right now:  Competitive as a low end playoff team.

Of course they aren't getting in this year because of the first half of the season.  But I have big hopes for next year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

Another solid effort from the Sabres last night.

They had a great month of March.  Look at the teams they beat.

They played at least as well as the Jets last night, who are a low end playoff team.

I think that's what the Sabres are right now:  Competitive as a low end playoff team.

Of course they aren't getting in this year because of the first half of the season.  But I have big hopes for next year.

They deserved to win last night, was a great game. Anderson was pretty bad in the shootout, he needs to poke check when they come in slow like that. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

They deserved to win last night, was a great game. Anderson was pretty bad in the shootout, he needs to poke check when they come in slow like that. 

I think that's where his age shows.  He looked really slow on that goal.  I don't know if coming out aggressively and poke checking is in his bag of tricks, and it is probably too late to add it.

19 hours ago, matt8204 said:

Some of them can't be helped or don't want to be helped.  You look at the ones who have been in and out of jail their entire lives, arrested dozens of times for the same offense, etc. There comes a point where you have to assume that they simply don't give a damn.  To be fair, there are people who might have screwed up once and could turn things around with a second chance.  Do we make it too difficult for people to reacclimate to society after serving their sentence?  

Nice article about NYC's reduction in crime...lots of collaboration between organizations to help reduce crime. Collaboration is hard to come by now-a-days.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/how-new-york-became-safe-full-story-13197.html

Interesting:

But after New York City’s astonishing crime drop in the nineties—much of which Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and Police Commissioner William Bratton credited to the Broken Windows approach—a firestorm of academic criticism erupted, claiming that Broken Windows was racist, it harassed and criminalized the poor, it constituted cultural imperialism, it amounted to overzealous “zero tolerance,” and so on. Moreover, the crime drop had nothing to do with Broken Windows (or any other police action); it was the result of changes in the economy or other broad social trends. Some criminologists attacked Broken Windows to advance their careers, realizing that variations on the theme of “Broken Windows disproved” were an effective way to call attention to their own work. But for most, ideology was at stake. Not only did the effectiveness of Broken Windows undermine the decades-long assumption that only large-scale social and economic change could prevent crime; it also meant that breakthroughs in crime prevention could come from the Right—anathema to criminologists, most of whom occupied the far Left.

Still, critics of Broken Windows had one good point: New York provided, at most, anecdotal and correlational evidence of a relationship between disorder and crime. There were very few experimental studies—the most certain method of establishing causality—showing that the first caused the second.

But that changed last year, when University of Groningen researcher Kees Keizer and his colleagues published a paper in Science. In six experiments in the Netherlands, Keizer observed and compared the behavior of people under artificial conditions of order and disorder. Invariably, he found that disorderly conditions encouraged further and more serious levels of disorderly behavior. In one experiment, for example, Keizer placed an envelope conspicuously containing five euros in a mailbox. When the mailbox was clean, 13 percent of people who passed it stole the money; when it was covered with graffiti, 27 percent took it.

Also in 2008, Harvard University researcher Anthony A. Braga and his colleagues published the results of a complex set of field experiments in Criminology. Researchers and police identified small neighborhoods in Lowell, Massachusetts, and randomly assigned them to experimental and control conditions. In each of the experimental areas—where police were maintaining order, Broken Windows–style—crime dropped more sharply than in the control areas and, moreover, did not simply move to adjacent neighborhoods. The article also built on an earlier experiment, with the same results, that Braga had conducted in Jersey City a decade earlier.

While these studies do not settle, once and for all, the question of the relationship between disorder and serious crime, they do provide a substantial body of experimental evidence that fixing broken windows ought to be an integral part of any community’s response to crime. In fact, it’s hard to think of a policy option for fixing a major social problem that is as strongly supported—by both experience and solid research—as is Broken Windows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/2/2022 at 12:52 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

This Sabres team is different. We just had the best March record in a decade. We are meshing well, cannot wait for next year.

Excited for you guys.  Now if only my Devils could get their act together.  15 goals allowed in two games.  Just blew a four-goal lead on Saturday also.  Oof.