• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

16 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Watching ovechkin tonight. Sabres been on fire lately. Great game so far 

They have been unwatchable for the last 3 years.

Now I’m watching most of the games and really enjoying seeing them develop and improve.

Getting rid of you know who and getting Granato are the best things to happen to them in years.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, wolfie09 said:

The real"snowbelt" is just east of pulaski and the 81 corridor, like Altmar/Orwell area, elevation between 500-800'ASL.. Unfortunately you won't find much out that way.. This obviously doesn't include the last couple garbage years.. Outside of that it depends on the year, some years Fulton has had 50" more than mexico and vice versa..We are at the mercy of the wind direction lol 

So the parish house was a no go. One thing I've learned in this area, basements or any foundation below ground is a negative. Completely different than philly area, this area and drainage is terrible. Anyways, curious to get yours and @TugHillMatt thoughts on these 3 houses im looking at. These are in the rome area. 1 is about 9.5 miles northeast of rome or about 4 iles nw of holland patent. Nice house, it's up on a mtn, elev about 1250. The other is about 2 miles northwest of remsen, elev about 1350. Final one is about 2 miles west of west leydon, elev 1560. Whats nice about the west leydon house, its in the heart of the tug, but only 16 miles from Rome, which is hell of a lot better than lowville to watertown. 

7 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

So the parish house was a no go. One thing I've learned in this area, basements or any foundation below ground is a negative. Completely different than philly area, this area and drainage is terrible. Anyways, curious to get yours and @TugHillMatt thoughts on these 3 houses im looking at. These are in the rome area. 1 is about 9.5 miles northeast of rome or about 4 iles nw of holland patent. Nice house, it's up on a mtn, elev about 1250. The other is about 2 miles northwest of remsen, elev about 1350. Final one is about 2 miles west of west leydon, elev 1560. Whats nice about the west leydon house, its in the heart of the tug, but only 16 miles from Rome, which is hell of a lot better than lowville to watertown. 

West Leydon house, for sure. Good snow retention there too. The one located near Holland Patent will bring you the same issues you had near Lowville, with even less average snowfall.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

West Leydon house, for sure. Good snow retention there too. The one located near Holland Patent will bring you the same issues you had near Lowville, with even less average snowfall.

Interesting, the nws burlington 30 yr avg map shows the holland patent and remsen area averaging more than lowville. 

15 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Snow wise, West Leyden is easily the winner. Definitely pretty rural, but like you said it’s not that far from Rome. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

I would guess that greater than 95% of houses in upstate have a basement. I would never ever consider purchasing a house without one. The amount of stuff in my basement is pretty ridiculous. It’s such valuable space. 

I will say that my basement will flood within hours without supplemental pumping in the event of a power outage,  but I’ve got redundant systems installed and have had little issue over the years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

I would guess that greater than 95% of houses in upstate have a basement. I would never ever consider purchasing a house without one. The amount of stuff in my basement is pretty ridiculous. It’s such valuable space. 

I will say that my basement will flood within hours without supplemental pumping in the event of a power outage,  but I’ve got redundant systems installed and have had little issue over the years. 

Do you worry about mold and what not down there with the dampness? Or is it not really damp anymore 

18 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Do you worry about mold and what not down there with the dampness? Or is it not really damp anymore 

I run a dehumidifier whenever it is warm enough to do so which is typically April though early November. During that time, it probably clears close to 70 pints of water everyday. Then during winter the house is so dry there is no moisture concern.  Keeping a good coat of sealer on the walls will also help. It’s manageable with just the most basic amount of effort in my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I run a dehumidifier whenever it is warm enough to do so which is typically April though early November. During that time, it probably clears close to 70 pints a water everyday. Then during winter the house is so dry there is no moisture concern.  Keeping a good coat of sealer on the walls will also help. It’s manageable with just the most basic amount of effort in my opinion. 

Same here for my basement.

15 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Tarheels baby! First ever tournament meeting between UNC and Duke.. This has been a great tournament so far, lots of upsets lol

I think this is what the NCAA likes to see.  Get some upsets in the earlier rounds but then still end up with Blue Bloods in the Final Four.  UNC/Duke, Kansas/Villanova.  The ratings should be excellent.

Great run for St. Peter's.  Looks like they just ran out of gas in the end.  Sometimes those Cinderella runs end with a thud like we saw yesterday.  Definitely got a lot of exposure for the school and it appears that Shaheen Holloway will have a shot at the Seton Hall job if he wants it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Crazy goal just now against Hawks. Sabres were down 4-0 and came back to win it

I couldn't believe it when I saw it this morning.

I went to bed after the first period. They were down 3-0.

I figured after 5 consecutive OT games, and a back to back road game, this just wasn't going to be their night.

Amazing.  What a change of character for this team.  Bye bye Jack we don't miss you at all.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cny rider said:

I couldn't believe it when I saw it this morning.

I went to bed after the first period. They were down 3-0.

I figured after 5 consecutive OT games, and a back to back road game, this just wasn't going to be their night.

Amazing.  What a change of character for this team.  Bye bye Jack we don't miss you at all.

First time since 1989 they were down 4 goals and won. Just a crazy game, we outplayed Chicago badly the 2nd and 3rd period after a terrible first. This team is different then the last few years, such a character win.  

• Like 2

NFL owners have approved a modified proposal for overtime that will guarantee each team a possession, but only for postseason games. The vote took place Monday afternoon at the annual league meetings.

The current rule, which allows a team to win on the opening possession of overtime if it scores a touchdown, will continue for regular-season games.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

NFL owners have approved a modified proposal for overtime that will guarantee each team a possession, but only for postseason games. The vote took place Monday afternoon at the annual league meetings.

The current rule, which allows a team to win on the opening possession of overtime if it scores a touchdown, will continue for regular-season games.

Great news

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

First time since 1989 they were down 4 goals and won. Just a crazy game, we outplayed Chicago badly the 2nd and 3rd period after a terrible first. This team is different then the last few years, such a character win.  

Stinks it took them this deep into the season to get some rhythm and chemistry flowing.  Lots of good young talent in the lurks really hope they can pull together a better start next season. It has been nice the games have been at least interesting to watch lately.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Stinks it took them this deep into the season to get some rhythm and chemistry flowing.  Lots of good young talent in the lurks really hope they can pull together a better start next season. It has been nice the games have been at least interesting to watch lately.  

Dahlin looks like a superstar, really excited for Power, Krebs, and Quinn next year.

• Like 1

God damn unreal.  City was like the Wild West earlier.  High speed chase from foot of ferry up the west side cut over the 198 to 33 down Bailey though the east side cut through K town all the way into West Seneca back up through South Buffalo until dude finally wrecked on Fillmore.  Multiple suspects in car apparently fired hundreds of rounds while at high speeds out the window and ended up hitting 3 cops in pursuit.  Amazing no one was killed.   

• Sad 2