• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Racism is obviously still an issue in our society but I don’t know…it feels like Flores is just lashing out here. This isn’t the way to get back into the coaching ranks. Who’s going to want to deal with him now? Maybe his camp is hoping to get a nice settlement from the NFL. 

True or not, the timing is awful for the league. Everyone is looking forward to the Super Bowl, now this bombshell drops. It’s going to dominate the conversation in sports media and the mainstream media in general. You think Goodell will get a few questions about this during the State of the League address next week?

3 hours ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Was listening to a show on Chris Russo’s Sirius channel last night. Another part of the claim is that Elway and the rest of the Denver contingent interviewing Flores not only arrived late to the interview but were also drunk and disheveled. Bizarre stuff.

The 100k for throwing games sounds insane to me too even though I know tanking is real. The players will never tank on purpose, but management can setup the team to fail in any given season and coaching goes hand in hand with management.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

l

28 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The 100k for throwing games sounds insane to me too even though I know tanking is real. The players will never tank on purpose, but management can setup the team to fail in any given season and coaching goes hand in hand with management.

Yeah, tanking is one thing.  Direct financial incentives to lose is a dangerous precedent, especially in an age where gambling is becoming more accepted.  Imagine an owner betting $100k on his team to lose and promising the coach a cut of the winnings if he helps to make it happen.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, matt8204 said:

Yeah, tanking is one thing.  Direct financial incentives to lose is a dangerous precedent, especially in an age where gambling is becoming more accepted.  Imagine an owner betting $100k on his team to lose and promising the coach a cut of the winnings if he helps to make it happen.  

Looks like there is more evidence from other teams have owners encouraging tanking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks like there is more evidence from other teams have owners encouraging tanking.

Yeah, a coworker was just telling me that Hue Jackson is coming out and saying that Jimmy Haslam (Cleveland's owner) offered him money to tank during his tenure as head coach there.  The irony is that it guarantees nothing, especially if you don't know how to draft and evaluate talent.  What has all of those high picks in the last 20+ years gotten the Lions or Browns?  It might pay off for the 76ers in the NBA one of these days but it hasn't yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matt8204 said:

Yeah, a coworker was just telling me that Hue Jackson is coming out and saying that Jimmy Haslam (Cleveland's owner) offered him money to tank during his tenure as head coach there.  The irony is that it guarantees nothing, especially if you don't know how to draft and evaluate talent.  What has all of those high picks in the last 20+ years gotten the Lions or Browns?  It might pay off for the 76ers in the NBA one of these days but it hasn't yet.

They're going to change draft lottery like NHL/NBA now. Makes sense to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I can believe there are at least a few "rogue" NFL Owners out there who would just as soon tank but being stupid enough to start an actual conspiracy by involving/paying the coaching staff seems unlikely but not implausible.  Some people think they can get away with anything, being either mega wealthy, powerful or just psychotic. Problem is that you'd have to be really certain the people you involve are more than solid, or something like "this" happens. 

Race issues aside for a moment, Flores is either just lashing out or he's sort of José Canseco who came out with wild allegations about steroid use in MLB.  The sports media initially panned Canseco (bc he wasn't exactly a pillar of the community), until they couldn't anymore as more evidence leaked out regarding widespread steroid use.

The BB text messages don't tell me anything other than BB was probably having a senior moment texting the wrong person. And Owners sacking coaches over not getting along, isn't a new (or obviously racial) thing.

I hope flor Flores sake he can prove it, or he'll have set back his purported racism in hiring concern immeasurably. (Which I believe is real, but not overt racist behavior, in general).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I mean look at superbowl #1 pick vs #1 pick. If you get it right your franchise is set for 10-15 yrs of success. One bad season can give you hundreds of millions in revenue over the course of that time period.

Oh, for sure.  I definitely can see the idea behind it.  I just kind of feel bad for the players who are on a team during a "tanking" season.  A lot of them are probably fringe players fighting to stay in the league.  The last thing they want is to look bad on film when teams are evaluating them in the offseason.

• Like 1

Just now, matt8204 said:

Oh, for sure.  I definitely can see the idea behind it.  I just kind of feel bad for the players who are on a team during a "tanking" season.  A lot of them are probably fringe players fighting to stay in the league.  The last thing they want is to look bad on film when teams are evaluating them in the offseason.

Yeah players would never tank. They don't get to the big show without giving 100% each and every game. They're all really competitive. 

Management on the other hand...The Sabres and Coyotes tanked in 2015 for McDavid/Eichel. And the Maple Leafs did for Austin Matthews. It was pretty blatant too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah players would never tank. They don't get to the big show without giving 100% each and every game. They're all really competitive. 

Management on the other hand...The Sabres and Coyotes tanked in 2015 for McDavid/Eichel. And the Maple Leafs did for Austin Matthews. It was pretty blatant too. 

No question.  The practice goes pretty far back also.  The Pittsburgh Penguins tanked in 1984 to be able to draft Mario Lemieux.  They traded Randy Carlyle, who was a Norris Trophy winner and sent a goalie down to the minors who had been playing pretty well for them.  Part of me doesn't blame them since their franchise was basically dying at the time.  I think they were only averaging about 5,000 fans per game.  

• Like 2

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The New York Giants are set to hire Mike Kafka from the Kansas City Chiefs to be their offensive coordinator under new coach Brian Daboll, a source confirmed to ESPN.

Kafka was the Chiefs' quarterbacks coach/pass game coordinator the past two seasons. He has been an assistant under Andy Reid in Kansas City since 2017.

The NFL Network was first to report the news of Kafka's expected hiring.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The New York Giants are set to hire Mike Kafka from the Kansas City Chiefs to be their offensive coordinator under new coach Brian Daboll, a source confirmed to ESPN.

Kafka was the Chiefs' quarterbacks coach/pass game coordinator the past two seasons. He has been an assistant under Andy Reid in Kansas City since 2017.

The NFL Network was first to report the news of Kafka's expected hiring.

Well at least we'll be able to call the Giants putrid offense Kafkaesque.  ;)

• Haha 1

Well I guess the Giants need a DC now lol 

The news today claimed he was staying, didn't even get a promotion lol

The Las Vegas Raiders are hiring New York Giants assistant head coach Patrick Graham as their defensive coordinator, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Graham, 43, joins newly hired head coach Josh McDaniels in Las Vegas after spending the past two seasons as the Giants' defensive coordinator under Joe Judge.

EDITOR'S PICKS

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, vortmax said:

Looking at some old threads and saw some old familiar names like ayuud, CNYWXguy, Tornado Girl, dutch, NYwx, and Logan11. Anyone know what happened to them? 

I believe I've seen the occasional posts from ayuud and dutch on here. I recall seeing dutch post something last week, I think? Isn't "CNYWXguy" Freak's old username? Also, I read talk recently asking about Logan11. People said he went on to a different weather board that formed from some people who left this one.

2 hours ago, matt8204 said:

Who does everyone like in the Super Bowl?

My head says LA but I'd love to see the Bengals complete this run with a championship.  30-21 Cincinnati is my pick.  

I want Stafford to win one, big fan of his. Have you heard his wifes story? Her story was the reason I went to get an MRI after I dealt with dizziness issues last year.

https://www.today.com/health/kelly-stafford-wife-nfl-star-matt-stafford-opens-about-brain-t161913

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I want Stafford to win one, big fan of his. Have you heard his wifes story? Her story was the reason I went to get an MRI after I dealt with dizziness issues last year.

https://www.today.com/health/kelly-stafford-wife-nfl-star-matt-stafford-opens-about-brain-t161913

Incredible story.  I like Stafford also.  He's certainly been through a lot personally and spent so many years on poor Lions teams.  I definitely wouldn't be unhappy if the Rams win.  They haven't won a league championship as a Los Angeles team since 1951.  The franchise's lone Super Bowl win to date came while they were in St. Louis.  

• Like 1