• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

7 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Not sure if anyone listens to Mad Dog Russo on Sirius Ch. 82 but his show today was legendary recapping the weekend NFL games.  The best part was him tearing apart post game shows (none of  Rodgers 17 minute interview on NFL Network, just stupid replays and chit chat) and... destroying Tony Romo in an all time rant at 1:45 mins into the recorded version. OMGLOFL. So right. Romo got the squib call spot on but FFS shut the f*ck up otherwise. With 2 minutes left in the game at 11 pm at night in an all time classic... Romo is blithering about Josh Allen's legacy not once or twice but three times!   And the scribbling on the telescreen...just stop.  I thought that was idiotic also at the time. Allen is 24 years old, FFS. Romo is so godawful. 

Romo is one of the best if not the best announcer in football and that seems to be the general consensus among well….damn near everyone. Shocked you don’t like him.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Romo is one of the best if not the best announcer in football and that seems to be the general consensus among well….damn near everyone. Shocked you don’t like him.  

You've got to be kidding me. Plenty of ppl think he's over the top. He's not commentating WWE FFS. The guy never shuts up and is all over the place. Let the game breathe.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I don't mind Romo. He literally predicts every play before it happens, hes pretty good.

Ill give you he's not as bad as Matt Millen, who also played the game, destroyed a franchise as GM (Lions) and was wrong about 75%:of what he said doing color in games.  Romo's not THAT bad. And i do prefer him over Collinsworth, who has grown to be  Master of the obvious, trite phrase repeating boor.

46 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Ill give you he's not as bad as Matt Millen, who also played the game, destroyed a franchise as GM (Lions) and was wrong about 75%:of what he said doing color in games.  Romo's not THAT bad. And i do prefer him over Collinsworth, who has grown to be  Master of the obvious, trite phrase repeating boor.

Collinsworth is the absolute worst. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Syrmax said:

You've got to be kidding me. Plenty of ppl think he's over the top. He's not commentating WWE FFS. The guy never shuts up and is all over the place. Let the game breathe.

That's what I don't like.  I respect his knowledge of the sport but I don't need the announcers talking constantly.  There's something to be said for just taking in the images and crowd noise at certain times and watching the play unfold for yourself.  

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 12:33 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

A good post from a Chiefs fan on another board where they discuss our coaching staff.

The Bills should clean house, and the reason I say this is I’m a Chiefs fan and Buffalo has put together a top 5 front office and coaching staff combination in the league.  Nothing would make me happier than to see a rival hoisted by its own petard.

Some here can’t see past the end of their noses.  It took a solid coaching job to have this be a close game at the end.  Kansas City led nearly the entire game.  After every single one of their possessions the Chiefs were either tied or had the lead.  Kansas City had 130 more yards of offense than the Bills did, and neither team turned the ball over or had penalty issues.  That the game was a coin flip with only a few minutes remaining is a testament to the fact that McDermott and company pulled a LOT of correct levers.  They were aggressive on fourth down, took the short stuff early before taking the top off the defense later, and cleaned up with Davis when the Chiefs took away Diggs.

There are a million ways to second guess the strategy at the end, and mistakes were made, but you’ve got to view the situation in totality.  Y’all weren’t playing Detroit.  You were on the road playing a team that has hosted the last 3 AFCCGs coached by a future HOFer.  In the same game last season, you saw Hill take a short pass for 70 yards and Hardman bust a run for 50 yards.  A few weeks ago, these coaches saw Kelce end the game by taking a short pass 60 yards for a house call.  In just this game, Hill had already taken a short pass for a 65 yard TD and nearly scored on a long punt return.  You think they remembered that when deciding not to play press coverage at the end?  I sure do.

It didn’t work, and that’s football.  A HOF coach called plays for a HOF QB to pass to a HOF WR and HOF TE, and a K who had missed 2 kicks in the game made a 48 yarder outdoors in January.  Sucks to be on the wrong end of it, but only one team can win.  You want to see true screw ups?  Watch the Cowboys run a draw play to run out the clock down 7.  Watch the Packers only send out 10 players to block a game winning FG coming out of a timeout.  Those are inexcusable screw ups.  The end of game strategy last night is one you’d like a do-over on.  In the end, you had 11 exhausted defensive players come up agonizingly short against another great team.

You don’t tear down the foundation of the (second?) best team in the NFL because they lost by an eyelash in what might be literally the greatest football game ever played.  But if you do, I’ll celebrate.

Pretty good take.

I'm excited for next year.

Not watching anymore football this year though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Awesome gesture.  The Chiefs have good fans and they were also long-suffering up until a few years ago.  It took them 50 years to get back to the top of the mountain after winning Super Bowl IV.  They had some very lean seasons, followed by a quite a bit of postseason heartache.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt8204 said:

Big Ben has officially called it a career.  End of the line for that 2004 quarterback class (Eli, Roethlisberger and Rivers).  It's the end of an era and I officially feel old.  I graduated college the spring before their pro careers began.  

You think you're old?

I used to watch Eli's dad playing football!

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Tonight the rangers are retiring the"king" Henrik Lundqvist jersey. The 11th in franchise history..

I'm a Devils fan but I've always respected and feared Lundqvist.  Always seemed to bring his A game against Jersey, the same way that Richter did.  Could never bring myself to root for the Rangers but it's too bad that he never won the Cup.  He could have asked to be traded to a contender when the Blueshirts started their rebuild a few years ago but he stayed until the end.  Definitely deserves tonight's ceremony.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Still mad he wasn't able to get a cup, 100% deserved one. 

The Rangers are a cursed franchise who had teams in several eras that were capable of wing the Cup but just couldn’t get over the hump. If it wasn’t for the will of Messier in ‘94 their cupless streak would be at 80 years. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

The Rangers are a cursed franchise who had teams in several eras that were capable of wing the Cup but just couldn’t get over the hump. If it wasn’t for the will of Messier in ‘94 their cupless streak would be at 80 years. 

What's crazy is that they won three Cups in their first 15 seasons.  Totally different game in a far different era but they still count.  I remember reading that World War II decimated them, as many of their top players went overseas to fight.  They never could seem to catch a break.  This was a team that got kicked out of its home arena at playoff time back in the day because the circus brought in more revenue to Madison Square Garden than hockey did.  The Rangers also had a history of bringing in big name players who were approaching the end of their careers.  Terry Sawchuk, Phil Esposito, Guy LaFleur, Marcel Dionne, Gretzky, etc.  It worked out with Messier but you're right; it took every ounce of his determination to raise that '94 Cup.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, matt8204 said:

What's crazy is that they won three Cups in their first 15 seasons.  Totally different game in a far different era but they still count.  I remember reading that World War II decimated them, as many of their top players went overseas to fight.  They never could seem to catch a break.  This was a team that got kicked out of its home arena at playoff time back in the day because the circus brought in more revenue to Madison Square Garden than hockey did.  The Rangers also had a history of bringing in big name players who were approaching the end of their careers.  Terry Sawchuk, Phil Esposito, Guy LaFleur, Marcel Dionne, Gretzky, etc.  It worked out with Messier but you're right; it took every ounce of his determination to raise that '94 Cup.  

I think I’ve made my age obvious but I became a Rangers fan in the late 60s when we got a NY tv station (WOR) on cable.  My hero was Rod Gilbert (RIP) and the rest of the GAG line and Eddie Giacomin. They made it to the Stanley Cup finals in the early 70s but couldn’t get past the Bruins. Then the team was broken up by Emil Francis. They had the magical run in (I believe) 79 with Jon Davidson but wasn’t until the early/mid 90s that they became contenders again.   Then about 10 years ago they had several good years with Lundqvist et al.   They have a pretty good team this year but I’m not sure if they’re cup contenders. BTW, I think it’s ironic that I grew up in Little Falls, NY. and you’re in LF, NJ. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I think I’ve made my age obvious but I became a Rangers fan in the late 60s when we got a NY tv station (WOR) on cable.  My hero was Rod Gilbert (RIP) and the rest of the GAG line and Eddie Giacomin. They made it to the Stanley Cup finals in the early 70s but couldn’t get past the Bruins. Then the team was broken up by Emil Francis. They had the magical run in (I believe) 79 with Jon Davidson but wasn’t until the early/mid 90s that they became contenders again.   Then about 10 years ago they had several good years with Lundqvist et al.   They have a pretty good team this year but I’m not sure if they’re cup contenders. BTW, I think it’s ironic that I grew up in Little Falls, NY. and you’re in LF, NJ. 

Wow.  I've heard that there was a Little Falls in New York.  Interesting how certain town names pop up in multiple states.  

That was a really good Rangers team in the late 60's and early-mid 70's.  The other heartbreaker was losing to the Flyers in the '74 semifinals.  They were probably a tough guy or two short of being able to hang with them, although that series did go 7 games.  Yes, that was '79 when they beat the Isles in the semis and actually won the first game against Montreal before reality set in.  I remember them making a run to the conference finals in 1986 as well after a so-so regular season...but then the Canadiens and a rookie named Patrick Roy knocked them off.  

I thought 2015 was their year.  It had to sting being blanked by Tampa at home in Game 7, especially after how they dominated Game 6.  Think they won 7-3.  Rangers/Blackhawks could have been an entertaining Final.  

• Like 1