• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

11 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Caesar’s.  When you signup you get a $300 “bonus balance” that you have to bet with.  If you win on those bets the winnings go to your cash balance.8801F693-0CE2-4C23-993F-7B24C4D20A51.jpeg.b116f529878ebe13b2ea831fa28ae9c4.jpeg

C31DEFB5-1C68-46F2-9A8F-D3EBB07F5356.jpeg

I did a parlay for Evans, Deebo Samuel, and Kelce to get a TD each. They just did it! I won $800!!!! I'm cashing out now and deleting app thank you!

• Like 3

Just a general question, but when does ice gnerally start to develop at the base of Niagara Falls? I notice that, despite the recent cold temperatures, none has formed yet. I know it's unlikely we'd see ice build up to the extent it did a century ago, due to the ice boom, and the fact we all rely on the falls for our electric power.

Roof alert, for those that need to clear their rooves.

I almost didn't bother with ours yesterday, as we only got about 8 inches total from this last storm.

I'm lucky I did it.

Remember that freezing rain storm we had a week ago?  Well that layer was still lurking underneath .  It was hard and crusty but I could dislodge it.

My bet is after 12 hours above freezing today, then another arctic chill, that will be welded down and impossible to shear off.

YMMV of course.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Just a general question, but when does ice gnerally start to develop at the base of Niagara Falls? I notice that, despite the recent cold temperatures, none has formed yet. I know it's unlikely we'd see ice build up to the extent it did a century ago, due to the ice boom, and the fact we all rely on the falls for our electric power.

The ice boom and power plants have no effect on the ice, we just need prolonged cold.  Prolonged cold is at least 4 weeks below freezing with a lot of very cold single digits night and highs in the teens days.  Once you get into the 4-6 weeks of prolonged cold is when the magic really happens. It’s certainly not a yearly thing. Additionally you want Lake Erie frozen over so the water feeding the falls is only a couple degrees above freezing. Right now that is a very warm mist with lake temps near 40! 
We’ve only had 2-3 years out of of the last decade with impressive ice accretion down there.  If the next two weeks remain fairly cold you might start seeing some good stuff around the beginning of February. Otherwise it might not happen this year which is more of the rule than the exception these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

The ice boom and power plants have no effect on the ice, we just need prolonged cold.  Prolonged cold is at least 4 weeks below freezing with a lot of very cold single digits night and highs in the teens days.  Once you get into the 4-6 weeks of prolonged cold is when the magic really happens. It’s certainly not a yearly thing. Additionally you want Lake Erie frozen over so the water feeding the falls is only a couple degrees above freezing. Right now that is a very warm mist with lake temps near 40! 
We’ve only had 2-3 years out of of the last decade with impressive ice accretion down there.  If the next two weeks remain fairly cold you might start seeing some good stuff around the beginning of February. Otherwise it might not happen this year which is more of the rule than the exception these days. 

I didn’t think it did but the Ice Boom actually had a huge impact on the falls ice build up.  The falls themselves never freeze up but the gorge use to be a sight.  Back then if it was cold enough ice flows would rush down and over the falls and jam up in the gorge.  Use to be a big winter time attraction in the late 1800s and early 1900s The Ice Bridge they called it.  Could walk from US to Canada side, sledding hills, just crazy to think about doing something like that today.  1930s the ice flows were so high the honeymoon steel truss bridge over the gorge literally had its anchors ripped out of the gorge walls and collapsed.  Was said the worst winters the ice could grow as much as 100’ high against the gorge walls.  Today most you’ll really see is the mountains of ice that accumulate on the rocks under the American Falls and maybe a standard ice sheet in the lower river but like Delta said only in real long cold winters sustained with multiple days of single digits or less.  

292D8002-9A68-4AAE-9E9D-103667F92A2D.jpeg

9AD94F78-3639-4C40-8610-1F6E793F77BA.jpeg

7009995C-72E5-48E7-96AF-AEB4D1171826.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I didn’t think it did but the Ice Boom actually had a huge impact on the falls ice build up.  The falls themselves never freeze up but the gorge use to be a sight.  Back then if it was cold enough ice flows would rush down and over the falls and jam up in the gorge.  Use to be a big winter time attraction in the late 1800s and early 1900s The Ice Bridge they called it.  Could walk from US to Canada side, sledding hills, just crazy to think about doing something like that today.  1930s the ice flows were so high the honeymoon steel truss bridge over the gorge literally had its anchors ripped out of the gorge walls and collapsed.  Was said the worst winters the ice could grow as much as 100’ high against the gorge walls.  Today most you’ll really see is the mountains of ice that accumulate on the rocks under the American Falls and maybe a standard ice sheet in the lower river but only in real long cold winters sustained winters with multiple days of single digits or less.  

I'm surprised to see cars in the centre picture. I believe walking on the ice bridge was illegal after 1912 - I've read there was a terrible tragedy that year, when the ice bridge suddenly broke up, and a couple were swept away to their deaths. :(

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I seem to recall it was quite impressive as recently as January 2018 - that was during the big arctic outbreak that year.

The next few weeks look quite cold, so we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I didn’t think it did but the Ice Boom actually had a huge impact on the falls ice build up.  The falls themselves never freeze up but the gorge use to be a sight.  Back then if it was cold enough ice flows would rush down and over the falls and jam up in the gorge.  Use to be a big winter time attraction in the late 1800s and early 1900s The Ice Bridge they called it.  Could walk from US to Canada side, sledding hills, just crazy to think about doing something like that today.  1930s the ice flows were so high the honeymoon steel truss bridge over the gorge literally had its anchors ripped out of the gorge walls and collapsed.  Was said the worst winters the ice could grow as much as 100’ high against the gorge walls.  Today most you’ll really see is the mountains of ice that accumulate on the rocks under the American Falls and maybe a standard ice sheet in the lower river but like Delta said only in real long cold winters sustained with multiple days of single digits or less.  

I realize we are actually talking about two somewhat different things.  When there was no ice boom and the river got choked with ice, the falls would certainly freeze up substantially more.  Nowadays, mostly what we see around the falls is frozen mist.  It's this frozen mist that makes the amazing ice bridge and accretions on the gorge.  And it's this process that benefits from colder incoming water and a prolonged period of sub freezing temperatures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It froze during the really cold 2013-2014 winter pretty extensively

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/frozen-niagara-falls/3/

My friends came up for a visit this past summer and we did the "Cave of the Winds." If you or anybody else on here has never done it, I strongly recommend it. Such an incredible experience! The Hurricane deck stands at a spot where the Falls can literally produce hurricane force winds...and you can stand right on it at the base. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

My friends came up for a visit this past summer and we did the "Cave of the Winds." If you or anybody else on here has never done it, I strongly recommend it. Such an incredible experience! The Hurricane deck stands at a spot where the Falls can literally produce hurricane force winds...and you can stand right on it at the base. 

I've done the maid of the mist a few times but never the cave of the winds. I'll try to go there this summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

I've done the Cave. It's a fun experience. Highly recommend.

• Like 1

Giants pretty much down to the final 3 for GM.. Could know by the end of the week..Then on to HC lol

The Giants met with Bills assistant general manager Joe Schoen, believed to be the odds-on favorite to land the opening, on Tuesday. On Wednesday, they met again with Chiefs Executive Director of Player Personnel Ryan Poles. According to Tom Pelissero from the NFL Network, on Thursday, they will meet with 49ers assistant general manager Adam Peters.  

3 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Giants pretty much down to the final 3 for GM.. Could know by the end of the week..Then on to HC lol

The Giants met with Bills assistant general manager Joe Schoen, believed to be the odds-on favorite to land the opening, on Tuesday. On Wednesday, they met again with Chiefs Executive Director of Player Personnel Ryan Poles. According to Tom Pelissero from the NFL Network, on Thursday, they will meet with 49ers assistant general manager Adam Peters.  

Heard Giants might want Bills OC Daboll too as a package deal with Schoen. Price you pay for being a top team! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I realize we are actually talking about two somewhat different things.  When there was no ice boom and the river got choked with ice, the falls would certainly freeze up substantially more.  Nowadays, mostly what we see around the falls is frozen mist.  It's this frozen mist that makes the amazing ice bridge and accretions on the gorge.  And it's this process that benefits from colder incoming water and a prolonged period of sub freezing temperatures.

I remember there was one winter back in the 90s (1996-1997?) where the ice boom actually stopped working, resulting in a massive buildup of ice below the falls.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I remember there was one winter back in the 90s (1996-1997?) where the ice boom actually stopped working, resulting in a massive buildup of ice below the falls.

It happens occasionally.  If there is a wind storm and seiche with an ice buildup on the lake, the boom is actually anchored to the lake floor and designed to sink under the ice during high winds to prevent it from just being ripped apart and failing.  Here is some video I took in 2018 on the pier under the peace bridge (the crazy ice flows are around 25 second mark).  In doing this it does allow a period where ice can rush downstream into the river and eventually the falls.  The volume and speed of that ice flow was just mind boggling, and it ran like that for 3-4 hours if I remember correctly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Great experience. I used to love parking the car and walking over the Rainbow Bridge to the US side, back in pre-pandemic days. These days, I'd need a PCR test to cross back into Canada. 

Have not done the cave of the winds of maid of the mist in probably 25 years, we use to go every summer for a day trip as kids and always did both.  Need to put it on my list to do this summer.  Another cool attraction (few miles north of the park) they have the jet boat rides through the lower rapids and now that it an awesome trip!

2 hours ago, Syrmax said:

LOL. I see the NYG allegedly interested in talking with Dallas DC Quinn for HC position. Maybe having a GM first would be a good idea? Just spitballing here...

Rumor has it that all 3 GM finalist would be ok with Dan Quinn lol

Giants may already know but haven't made it public..That ESPN transactions actually just popped up in the last day or two even though it says Jan 7th lol

I'm trying to sell a full set of now tires and rims if you know anyone.  I can't seem to give these damn things away.  I'd love to see them go to a good home.  This post is probably not allowed so view it while you can!

Set of (4) 18" aluminum alloy rims and studded snow tires for a truck or SUV.

Less than 10k miles on the tires.
Size: 265/60/R18.
Brand: Sailun Ice Blazer. Average Tread depth - 10/32”

Rims are from a Ford F150 (18")

Bought new truck with different size wheels so I can no longer this set. Good snow tire, performed very well when in use.

$200 Or best offer for everything.