• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Don’t even know what to believe anymore.  Yesterday WHO says it’s no different than the previous strains, now today they are sounding more alarmed.  Lot of cherry picking of quotes and adding of ones own ideas to some of these stories which adds to the panic.  Honestly at this point looks like it is everywhere.  Over a dozen counties have sequenced cases and Scotland has found cases in people who have not traveled showing local transmission has already been ongoing for at least some time now.  Makes you wonder if it’s here in WNY already?  Could explain the rapid spike in cases as well as our unusually high amount of vaxxed cases being reported.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah so weird that every indoor place requires except sabers games? No one had a mask on at the arena with 10k+ people.

Their vaccination checks are a joke. Literally look at the front of your vax card for one second, don’t ask for ID to confirm your identity, don’t look at the back of the vaccine card. I feel like I could have shown them my tops bonus card and they would have said good to go. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Their vaccination checks are a joke. Literally look at the front of your vax card for one second, don’t ask for ID to confirm your identity, don’t look at the back of the vaccine card. I feel like I could have shown them my tops bonus card and they would have said good to go. 

I'm going to the Rangers game at MSG Saturday night.  I'll report back on how the security is there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

When I was in Amsterdam and Berlin last month, the places that checked vax documents gave it a decent look. Although, maybe bc I didn't have a vax QR code they could just scan so our CDC cards were a bit interesting to them. 

I certainly timed my vacation to Europe well as restrictions were loosened after the Spring/Sumner.  You needed to be vax'd to get into many places (or have proof of recovery document) and a fair bit of mask wearing but mainly only on public transport. Now, the clampdown appears to be back, along with rising cases.. 

• Like 1

Looks like the borders between Canada-US are about to significantly shut down again after being barely open. Im hoping to make it to the Bills MNF game before that though. All depends how fast Canada and US introduce the new rules

Im supposed to go to NYC next weekend but that one is looking more and more unlikely. 

We haven’t talked about climate change in a bit… I’m just so happy for Marky.  He got to stand up there and beat his chest how his plan lead Erie County to reducing green house emissions in 2020.  And don’t even think about saying “ohhh it was because of the lockdowns and everyone staying home”.  Nope, that was all because of Marky and his outstanding leadership in the face of adversity!  And while this hasn’t hit the news just yet… here is an advanced copy of his new request to the county legislature to approve giving the Buffalo News $125,000 to print flyers and other educational materials on how dangerous climate change is to those living in Erie County. What a great partnership!  Now don’t go and tell me about how the Buffalo News campaigned hard for a select few Democrats running for legislature seats in the most tightly contested districts.  That has nothing to do with any of this.  I’m certain the leaders of our county will do what’s best for all of us!  

1C454926-0F04-401F-BFF3-DA419597CFF8.jpeg

3B74EFE9-C28E-4C14-84C1-D2CE64C795A0.jpeg

31268FA2-61BC-47C0-ADD0-268B03B668A7.jpeg

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A friend from the gym has covid and its the worst sickness hes ever had. He is really in shape, does MMA as well. Hes unvaxxed, his girlfriend had Pfizer and didn't get sick. 

So another case of “the vax works”… I’m still just so on the fence about the booster I don’t know why… the more stories I hear from people I know the more I want to get it, but then you hear those handful of crazy stories and you step back and say I’m good!

2 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

So another case of “the vax works”… I’m still just so on the fence about the booster I don’t know why… the more stories I hear from people I know the more I want to get it, but then you hear those handful of crazy stories and you step back and say I’m good!

He didn't get the vax because his uncle got a bloodclot in his head right after his vaccine and is now blind in one eye, he was scared. He said it could be random, the doctors don't know what happened. But its too coincidental to be. 

3 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Ok… and see just like that I’m good without the booster.  He have the classic covid symptoms or what’s he suffering from the most? 

this is what he sent me on discord we play games online together 

First night felt like I was actually dying
The 2 after were ROUGH
I wouldnt recommend this to anyone haha
They say ill have strong antibodies now though which is dope
But holy shit man this was the sickest ive ever been in my life

my uncle got vaxxed and got a blood clot behind his eye and is blind now
which terrified me from the vaccines

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A friend from the gym has covid and its the worst sickness hes ever had. He is really in shape, does MMA as well. Hes unvaxxed, his girlfriend had Pfizer and didn't get sick. Really debating on getting the booster now. Staying away from the gym for few weeks. Going to run outside and do at home workouts. 

I'll definitely get the booster when I'm eligible.  My faith in the vaccines has been shaken a bit but some protection is better than none at all or protection that is rapidly waning.  

Someone at my gym was hacking and coughing like an SOB on Saturday morning.  Tried to stay as far away as possible while not breaking the continuity of my workout.  In my head I'm saying "Dude, you shouldn't be here".  I have a weight bench and some dumbbells in the event that gyms are shut down again or if I feel unsafe going.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

He didn't get the vax because his uncle got a bloodclot in his head right after his vaccine and is now blind in one eye, he was scared. He said it could be random, the doctors don't know what happened. But its too coincidental to be. 

Guess there's no way to know for sure one way or the other.  Definitely curious timing though.  

So omicron is already here and circulating through the general population as suspected.  2nd confirmed US case today.  Fully vaxxed adult male who drove from Minnesota to a NYC anime convention Nov 19-21 (estimated 53,000 attendees at convention).  (Event required masking and proof of vax to enter)… Became sick after returning home from convention.  The news won’t shout out this next tidbit that he only had mild cold symptoms and was considered fully recovered before he was even diagnosed as having the omicron variant.  

To quote the vaxxed and healthy but suddenly covid positive LeBron James…

3E699D19-3744-4E7E-B69C-B677FDB52AE4.jpeg

20 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

So omicron is already here and circulating through the general population as suspected.  2nd confirmed US case today.  Fully vaxxed adult male who drove from Minnesota to a NYC anime convention Nov 19-21 (estimated 53,000 attendees at convention).  (Event required masking and proof of vax to enter)… Became sick after returning home from convention.  The news won’t shout out this next tidbit that he only had mild cold symptoms and was considered fully recovered before he was even diagnosed as having the omicron variant.  

Covid doesn’t prevent infection we all knew this already, it prevents severe symptoms. Similar to the flu vaccines. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

So I've thought a lot about the vax and the potential side effects and I think a couple things are clear.  If a person had bad side effects from the vax, then covid itself was probably going to cause the exact same issues, if not worse.  The vax initiates virtually the same response as the virus, just in a controlled dose.  So if the guy that got blood clots and lost his sight didn't get vaxed, he might have gotten worse blood clots and died had he caught covid.  Therefore it wasn't necessarily the vax, its that persons body is particular vulnerable to this type of virus.

Also, if you got the first 2 doses and had no issues, there is almost no reason to think that the booster would cause an issue, your body luckily didn't have that rare and unfortunate reaction to the virus or vaccine spike proteins.  Now when they change the formula for the next variant, that could changes things a bit, so if I were you, I'd grab the exact same brand booster before they change things up.  

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

So I've thought a lot about the vax and the potential side effects and I think a couple things are clear.  If a person had bad side effects from the vax, then covid itself was probably going to cause the exact same issues, if not worse.  The vax initiates virtually the same response as the virus, just in a controlled dose.  So if the guy that got blood clots and lost his sight didn't get vaxed, he might have gotten worse blood clots and died had he caught covid.  Therefore it wasn't necessarily the vax, its that persons body is particular vulnerable to this type of virus.

Also, if you got the first 2 doses and had no issues, there is almost no reason to think that the booster would cause an issue, your body luckily didn't have that rare and unfortunate reaction to the virus or vaccine spike proteins.  Now when they change the formula for the next variant, that could changes things a bit, so if I were you, I'd grab the exact same brand booster before they change things up.  

I guess the risk/reward is always there. Maybe my friends uncle never gets covid and doesn't lose his eyesight. But like you said you never know what the covid symptoms could have done. 

That's a good point on the booster. If you were relatively symptom free from the 1st 2 shots its unlikely you'll get anything from the 3rd. Maybe a slightly higher immune response. 

Initial data out of Isreal is both boosters are highly effective against Omnicron. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Its interesting you bring this up. Thats my going theory as well though my theory relies on only two people lol. My fiancé and I haha 

We both got covid in May 2021 before we got vaccinated. I barely noticed I had it, more like a very very light cold/more run down but since I work outdoor construction didnt think anything of it. 

She got a bad cold and once that started we got tested and both confirmed positive for covid. She went downhill a bit more with headaches, fever, loss of taste. All the while I was working out and relaxing (when not helping care for her) 

We both got the exact same symptoms after getting our vaccines. She went down for a day with headaches ect.. and I felt a bit tired but 99% fine. 

1 hour ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Wouldn't it stand to reason that it will eventually mutate into a weaker form like many other viruses?  We're almost two years into this.  The Spanish Flu largely burned out after two years and became a less severe strain of influenza.  

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Interesting thoughts.  I was lucky; mild symptoms when I had Covid and when I got vaccinated.  Just had a sore arm after both doses and might have been a bit more tired than usual.  That's about it.  I got both doses on a Friday just in case but I wasn't down and out for the weekend.  I had the virus in April of '21 but didn't have a fever or cough.  No signs of compromised breathing either.  My biggest symptoms were a bad case of the chills and soreness in my legs.  Had a dizzy spell towards the end also but fortunately, it came and went pretty fast and I'm not even sure if that was related to Covid.  I did lose my sense of taste and smell but it bounced back quickly.  I was certainly a lot more fortunate than others.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic