• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Bills had a solid game, really going to suck if we lose White. Looked like an ACL issue. Going to need him against the Pats and Bucs.

I'm not sure that game told use much about the Bills.

The Saints are so depleted by injuries, that are nothing like the Saints team that took the field week 1.  I don't know if that Saints team could beat the Jets right now.

The White injury could be the biggest thing that happened last night.

Next week is what it's all about:  The Patriots!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Appreciate you sharing your experience. I'm fully vaccinated and I've contemplated getting the booster shot. Haven't gotten it yet. Might, might not, I just haven't made that decision.

I am tired of the mask mandates and lockdowns overseas. At this point, we should be able to go out in public at our own discretion. It's fatal to keep dragging this out. The lockdowns have done nothing to help at this point. Time to let people do what they want. Can't control it. I'd rather take risks and not continue to allow the government to restrict personal freedom.

What limits are you experiencing?

Honest question.

I go wherever I want, whenever I want.  I can mask if I want, and not mask when I want.  Except for work where I am stuck with a mask (healthcare).

My life is pretty normal and has been for over a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

I'm not sure that game told use much about the Bills.

The Saints are so depleted by injuries, that are nothing like the Saints team that took the field week 1.  I don't know if that Saints team could beat the Jets right now.

The White injury could be the biggest thing that happened last night.

Next week is what it's all about:  The Patriots!

I hate the pats over any professional sports franchise. I'll be at the game and I think we lose quiet handily. That team is perfectly matched for us. They are very similar to the Colts with a better defense. I don't see a way we win it. 

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

Honest question.

I go wherever I want, whenever I want.  I can mask if I want, and not mask when I want.  Except for work where I am stuck with a mask (healthcare).

Same here. I haven't got the booster yet but will fairly soon.  It was "interesting" when i was in Europe last month. A lot of mask wearing but only required on public transport.  Restaurants and bars mostly required proof of vax in Amsterdam and Berlin but not in Belgium or outlying areas. The masks were of course annoying but pretty high compliance rate from what I saw.  

Plane rides were more sucky due to the length of wearing a mask but I didn't mind as much remembering that I had a nasty illness for 3 weeks as soon as I got back from Europe back in November 2019.  No issues this time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I don't see the proof of vaccination in stage 2 going through. The federal mandate already got delayed in court. 

There were 2 separate mandates. The OSHA-related one is delayed in court. The other one addressing federal workers & contractors is still effective. The company that I work for has decided to comply as they have contracts with the govt to supply electrical services...so we've been "requested" to upload our covid vax proof.  Not a big fan of this for a few reasons but I knuckled under like a good slapped ass. ;)

It buys us nothing though as the company put back in place "restaurant rules" for mask wearing in-office.  

Just now, Syrmax said:

There were 2 separate mandates. The OSHA-related one is delayed in court. The other one addressing federal workers & contractors is still effective. The company that I work for has decided to comply as they have contracts with the govt to supply electrical services...so we've been "requested" to upload our covid vax proof.  Not a big fan of this for a few reasons but I knuckled under like a good slapped ass. ;)

One of my good friends works at Moog and has a great job but is the most antivax guy in the world. Is that mandate still in tact? 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

One of my good friends works at Moog and has a great job but is the most antivax guy in the world. Is that mandate still in tact? 

The one for Federal contractors and employees is still effective.  If the company does not consider themselves to be Fed contractors in some way then no mandate applies as of now.

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

The one for Federal contractors and employees is still effective.  If the company does not consider themselves to be Fed contractors in some way then no mandate applies as of now.

I think Moog gets 95% of their business from federal contracts, they are a weapons/aircraft manufacture. He's an idiot if he leaves that job, makes like 100k with unlimited vacation time and works 6-2 monday-friday. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think Moog gets 95% of their business from federal contracts, they are a weapons/aircraft manufacture. 

Interesting decision to be made. I was surprised that my company decided this as we just supply electrical to various entities that are govt related. I suspect the lawyers defaulted to a conservative decision to avoid future haggling.  Moog would seem to fit in the same category but I think the definition of what constitutes being a federal contractor may be open to interpretation...

2 hours ago, cny rider said:

Honest question.

I like this post, and I agree about most of my life being normal, minus a mask in some places.  But there is one thing that is still driving me crazy.  School BS rules.  It appears that it is up to the individual school, but a lot of schools will have limited spectators for winter sports.  I've heard from one school with no limits (just wear masks), our school only allowing 2 or 4 (not decided yet) spectators per player to another school allowing only "home" spectators.  Why the different rules based on how afraid the superintendent is afraid of COVID?  From what I hear the DOH is setting no limits.  So 20,000 can watch the Nets or Knicks, but most of my family can't watch my kids!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Constantly putting citizens in a state of anxiety... they're awful.

It's best for everyone to stop watching the news..

This right here is the key, especially with it causing you anxiety.

Decide how much you want to consume and stick to it.  For me it's an hour two in the morning reading newspapers online and Bloomberg. 

After that, I don't pay attention.  

Find better things to do and don't let it get to you.

• Like 4

Interesting approach.  Dutch isolate two flights from South Africa that were already inbound when the travel restriction was made.  Tested all 600 travelers and over 10% tested positive.  More interesting is that everyone is suppose to provide proof of a negative test taken with 24 hours of their flight.  Either this process was not done, involved bad testing, or this variant is that efficient in literally spreading like wildfire.  

A13C641C-498B-4261-A107-5A3B513DE179.jpeg

20 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Interesting approach.  Dutch isolate two flights from South Africa that were already inbound when the travel restriction was made.  Tested all 600 travelers and over 10% tested positive.  More interesting is that everyone is suppose to provide proof of a negative test taken with 24 hours of their flight.  Either this process was not done, involved bad testing, or this variant is that efficient in literally spreading like wildfire.  

A13C641C-498B-4261-A107-5A3B513DE179.jpeg

Is this testing for the new variant or covid in general. either way someone messed up. 

29 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Is this testing for the new variant or covid in general. either way someone messed up. 

These tests were just for covid itself.  Samples are being lab sequenced now to identify which variant the travelers contracted (takes 24-48 hours?).  Already seeing this morning several countries have now confirmed cases of the variant.  England, Germany, Belgium, Israel, Hong Kong…  One of the cases confirmed traced the likely exposure back to a person flying through SA back on Nov 11.  If it’s been circulating for 2 weeks before we took notice it’s too late to react now.  This has such a March 2020 vibe right now with how fast it’s hitting the fan.  Wonder when and where the first US case will be confirmed…

5 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

These tests were just for covid itself.  Samples are being lab sequenced now to identify which variant the travelers contracted (takes 24-48 hours?).  Already seeing this morning several countries have now confirmed cases of the variant.  England, Germany, Belgium, Israel, Hong Kong…  One of the cases confirmed traced the likely exposure back to a person flying through SA back on Nov 11.  If it’s been circulating for 2 weeks before we took notice it’s too late to react now.  This has such a March 2020 vibe right now with how fast it’s hitting the fan.  Wonder when and where the first US case will be confirmed…

Seems like we don't know enough about it yet to determine how dangerous it is. Might be more contagious but less deadly and just a normal cold. 

33 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

havent done much research but the new variant doesn't seem as bad as Delta in regards to symptoms. Most are a mild cold.

This would be lucky. Plus, I read on NYT, from a Harvard researcher, that the vax should provide some protection. Especially if you’ve had the booster, as it broadens the immune response. 
It was speculated that Omicron could of mutated in a person with HIV who had limited immunity. That it would of had time in their system to reproduce and mutate. Vax rates in S Africa are pretty low (27%) and they have a high prevalence of HIV. Just found it interesting. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

These are just ridiculous. I’m very good about wearing my mask but everyone pulls it down once or twice. This guy gets his picture taken thousands of times a day. It’s absolutely the worst kind of gotcha politics. 
Biden believes in masks and vaccines. He’s demonstrated that over and over in good faith. If you disagree- fine, argue that, we can have a reasonable debate about the merits of either position. 
But don’t share these lazy, pathetic memes. We are better than that. 

But all it takes is one person taking one picture of a retail employee with their mask below their nose to initiate a health department compliance visit.  They don’t care if it was a momentary lapse of thinking.  If it’s wrong when they walk in it’s wrong and said business can be cited and or fined.   If we need to be perfect when people are watching then these guys need to be perfect too.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 10:57 AM, rochesterdave said:

This would be lucky. Plus, I read on NYT, from a Harvard researcher, that the vax should provide some protection. Especially if you’ve had the booster, as it broadens the immune response. 
It was speculated that Omicron could of mutated in a person with HIV who had limited immunity. That it would of had time in their system to reproduce and mutate. Vax rates in S Africa are pretty low (27%) and they have a high prevalence of HIV. Just found it interesting. 

Saw a piece yesterday that the South African Dr's that are directly involved with Omicron are more than a bit taken aback at the global reaction.  Their initial clinical obs are that it looks more virulent but no indication that its more deadly.  Almost all of their O cases are mild. Which...glass is half full here...could be good news long term if a less deadly strain became dominant.  To early to tell but the freakout is telling...about the world...

43 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Saw a piece yesterday that the South African Dr's that are directly involved with Omicron are more than a bit taken aback at the global reaction.  Their initial clinical obs are that it looks more virulent but no indication that its more deadly.  Almost all of their O cases are mild. Which...glass is half full here...could be good news long term if a less deadly strain became dominant.  To early to tell but the freakout is telling...about the world...

Exactly, it's all media and politically driven for the expressed purpose to fear, manipulate, and control people.

• Like 3

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic