• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

On 9/14/2021 at 5:16 PM, cny rider said:

We are facing a similar situation where I work.

We were told that being dismissed for not being vaccinated would mean no Ui benefits however.

I feel like I am watching a lot of people playing the grown up version of the game "chicken" that we used to play as kids.

I don't know who is going to swerve first.

Same at my employer. They are doing a "soft ask" for vax documentation although they are back to mandating masks in-office (restaurant type rules).  I'm holding out on supplying it until forced to.  Whatever happened to HIPPA regs? Or were those just another political feel-good joke too?

The people I commiserate with are the ones that have actually had covid (and can prove it with an anti-body test).  There should be no need for them to be vaxxed as evidence grows that this natural immunity is superior to any of the vaccines developed thusfar. Yet, the covid Nazis don't want to hear it as they're not really interested in "the Science." They just use it as a slogan that outs themselves as being as ignorant and infantile as the anti vaxxer loons. 

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

How do you guys decide between taking a job promotion and being extremely comfortable where you're at? 

Does the Money difference make the added responsibility worth it?  Also, do you want to climb the ladder?  Promotions  look good on resumes, showing an interest in career progression etc. Are some factors.  If it meant a lot more hours and a real headache of a position, I'd weigh that also.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Does the Money difference make the added responsibility worth it?  Also, do you want to climb the ladder?  Promotions  look good on resumes, showing an interest in career progression etc. Are some factors.  If it meant a lot more hours and a real headache of a position, I'd weigh that also.

Would be $10k or so increase. 15 mins added to commute and into a management role. Would be in downtown Buffalo, currently work 2-3 minutes from my home. Monday-Friday 830-430 is the shift. I'm not sure I'd like management. I hate telling people what to do, I'm more of a lone wolf. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Would be $10k or so increase. 15 mins added to commute and into a management role. Would be in downtown Buffalo, currently work 2-3 minutes from my home. Monday-Friday 830-430 is the shift. I'm not sure I'd like management. I hate telling people what to do, I'm more of a lone wolf. 

IMO there's a bunch of ways to approach your career. My wife and I have always been highly motivated to keep being challenged and have each taken on new roles every three years or so. This has worked well for us but you have to want that. I think every time we've gotten comfortable we've quickly gotten bored.

How did this opportunity arise? Did you seek it out? I didn't ever consider management until I was tapped on the shoulder for it and then found that not only I excelled at it but really liked it.

Monetarily that's a huge jump when you consider that it will grow exponentially baring its not a shithole company.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

IMO there's a bunch of ways to approach your career. My wife and I have always been highly motivated to keep being challenged and have each taken on new roles every three years or so. This has worked well for us but you have to want that. I think every time we've gotten comfortable we've quickly gotten bored.

How did this opportunity arise? Did you seek it out? I didn't ever consider management until I was tapped on the shoulder for it and then found that not only I excelled at it but really liked it.

Monetarily that's a huge jump when you consider that it will grow exponentially baring its not a shithole company.

I get comfortable and bored at the same time, its weird. I have enough money and time to do what I want and the stress is pretty low. The only thing I really spend money on his traveling and like to go on 3-4 trips a year, but other than that I am pretty frugal. They've been trying to get me into management for awhile, but always said no as I am comfortable and make enough money. 

• Like 2

Got my second Pfizer dose yesterday. Quick and easy once again. I slept well last night. Definitely feeling a bit of general soreness today but nothing unbearable and I’m already about 24 hours past the injection time. It’s akin to how I might feel after a tough workout. Making sure to guzzle water and even some Gatorade. Have to say, this could have been a lot worse and I definitely feel relieved.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

@wolfie09What happened to your giants last night? 

Not wolfie but that was the quintessential Giants loss that we’ve seen countless times since the last Super Bowl. Defense can’t make a stop when they need one. No pass rush. They made another journeyman quarterback look like a league MVP. It’s a shame because Jones actually played really well but bad teams find a way to lose. Hate to say it but I think Barkley is shot too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I get comfortable and bored at the same time, its weird. I have enough money and time to do what I want and the stress is pretty low. The only thing I really spend money on his traveling and like to go on 3-4 trips a year, but other than that I am pretty frugal. They've been trying to get me into management for awhile, but always said no as I am comfortable and make enough money. 

It seems like you have some good quality in your life right now. Taking the new position would add extra stress in terms of responsibilities and commuting. I am thinking you will have more free time in your life sticking with what you have. 

Now, if the new job was in Springville.....

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Got my second Pfizer dose yesterday. Quick and easy once again. I slept well last night. Definitely feeling a bit of general soreness today but nothing unbearable and I’m already about 24 hours past the injection time. It’s akin to how I might feel after a tough workout. Making sure to guzzle water and even some Gatorade. Have to say, this could have been a lot worse and I definitely feel relieved.

I'm following right behind you. The second one is Friday for me. My wife's going to get her first one right before me. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Not wolfie but that was the quintessential Giants loss that we’ve seen countless times since the last Super Bowl. Defense can’t make a stop when they need one. No pass rush. They made another journeyman quarterback look like a league MVP. It’s a shame because Jones actually played really well but bad teams find a way to lose. Hate to say it but I think Barkley is shot too.

Yeah I agree with most of what you said..

The thing about Barkley is he's still running behind a porous OL as well as missing almost all of last season due to a torn ACL..I'm not ready to give up on him just yet lol

I agree about the defense as well, definitely taken a step back from last year's improvement..

Jones did play well and could of been even better if the WR could hold onto the ball lol 

Seeing KG screaming at DJ was comical, the guy probably runs a 5.0 40 and gets no speration, Jones isn't just gonna throw it up for grabs every play..Toney is already complaining about his role as well..These guys forgot their is only 1 ball lol You can see DJ has a better rapport with Shep and slayton, which he has obviously played with the last couple seasons..

Oh well, on to next week lol Hope the bears lose as well.. haha

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm on board with Matt here, do whatever makes you happy.. Obviously money isn't everything..If you are financially sound and enjoy what you do then why fix something that's not broke? Lol

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

It seems like you have some good quality in your life right now. Taking the new position would add extra stress in terms of responsibilities and commuting. I am thinking you will have more free time in your life sticking with what you have. 

Now, if the new job was in Springville.....

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I'm on board with Matt here, do whatever makes you happy.. Obviously money isn't everything..If you are financially sound and enjoy what you do then why fix something that's not broke? Lol

Yeah I get so caught up in the climb the corporate ladder and a new job title that I forget how nice I have it right now.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I know its Breitbart, but oh my...the mental gymnastics needed to make this argument.  It's 12D chess man...  Now its the left's fault that the right won't get vaccinated.  Good grief. 

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/09/10/nolte-howard-stern-proves-democrats-want-unvaccinated-trump-voters-dead/

That article is pretty, um, not professional, but there is one part that rings true:

And why is that a perfectly human response? Because no one ever wants to feel like they are being bullied or ridiculed or mocked or pushed into doing anything.

This is why many people I know aren't getting the vaccine that already had Covid (also they likely have natural immunity and aren't too concerned). 

On 9/17/2021 at 2:41 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Being a people manager is not as bad as it seems. I've taken a more 'servant leadership' role with my people - being an enabler through encouragement and removing obstacles in their way - with the purpose of advancing their career objectives; all the while, getting the necessary daily work done well because they are motivated by feeling supported, heard, and important.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vortmax said:

That article is pretty, um, not professional, but there is one part that rings true:

And why is that a perfectly human response? Because no one ever wants to feel like they are being bullied or ridiculed or mocked or pushed into doing anything.

This is why many people I know aren't getting the vaccine that already had Covid (also they likely have natural immunity and aren't too concerned). 

Most of us outgrow that mentality in High School and no longer worry about other people bullying us.   I dunno....  It's a stupid article, but just kind of blew my mind how delusional the right is getting.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Most of us outgrow that mentality in High School and no longer worry about other people bullying us.   I dunno....  It's a stupid article, but just kind of blew my mind how delusional the right is getting.  

I don't think we ever outgrow bullying, ridicule or mockery - especially coming from adults. Just read some of OUR posts and others in this relatively calm weather forum - and most of us aren't trying to be mean.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

I don't think we ever outgrow bullying, ridicule or mockery - especially coming from adults. Just read some of OUR posts and others in this relatively calm weather forum - and most of us aren't trying to be mean.

We really do have the best sub-forum out of all regions. Everyone here is level headed and understanding. I can see myself being friends with everyone here. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, vortmax said:

Being a people manager is not as bad as it seems. I've taken a more 'servant leadership' role with my people - being an enabler through encouragement and removing obstacles in their way - with the purpose of advancing their career objectives; all the while, getting the necessary daily work done well because they are motivated by feeling supported, heard, and important.

Wife and I both embrace this. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I know its Breitbart, but oh my...the mental gymnastics needed to make this argument.  It's 12D chess man...  Now its the left's fault that the right won't get vaccinated.  Good grief. 

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/09/10/nolte-howard-stern-proves-democrats-want-unvaccinated-trump-voters-dead/

The guy might as well said that the virus was engineered to go after the right, being especially deadly among the 60+ crowd who are largely conservatives. :popcorn:

I think you can find bat shit craziness like this on both sides though, its not just the right. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

7 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Now, come on...it's not only people on the "right" who aren't getting vaccinated. Yes, there are more, but why must we make EVERYTHING left vs. right? It needs to stop. I know very intelligent and level-headed conservatives who have gotten vaccinated.

As to your second comment...most of us hope that OTHERS will grow OUT OF the mentality of feeling they need to bully others. Vort's point was that you will NOT get adults to do something by bullying, manipulating them (if they realize that's what is happening), and/or shaming them. Using bullying tactics to get people to get vaccinated is anti-proactive towards the main goal.

People have legitimate concerns and anxieties about getting vaccinated. Period. I did...and I had a very level-headed and respectful conversation with a colleague that helped me to decide to get it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Now, come on...it's not only people on the "right" who aren't getting vaccinated. Yes, there are more, but why must we make EVERYTHING left vs. right? It needs to stop. I know very intelligent and level-headed conservatives who have gotten vaccinated.

As to your second comment...most of us hope that OTHERS will grow OUT OF the mentality of feeling they need to bully others. Vort's point was that you will NOT get adults to do something by bullying, manipulating them (if they realize that's what is happening), and/or shaming them. Using bullying tactics to get people to get vaccinated is anti-proactive towards the main goal.

People have legitimate concerns and anxieties about getting vaccinated. Period. I did...and I had a very level-headed and respectful conversation with a colleague that helped me to decide to get it. 

Yo don’t shoot the messenger. I thought it was a ridiculous article, that’s all. It’s the first time I had seen such a bizarre angle used in regards to the vaccine.

My second comment is that as an adult I don’t allow myself to be bullied anymore so I found it odd that the whole premise of the article is that that the left is bullying the right. It’s kind of like “grow up”, in regards to that author. 

The author made it a very left vs right thing. I certainly know people on both sides of the political spectrum who have had vaccine hesitancy, and that’s fine.  

The bottom line is that I thought it was a ridiculous and downright comical article that you guys might enjoy. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Yo don’t shoot the messenger. I thought it was a ridiculous article, that’s all. It’s the first time I had seen such a bizarre angle used in regards to the vaccine.

My second comment is that as an adult I don’t allow myself to be bullied anymore so I found it odd that the whole premise of the article is that that the left is bullying the right. It’s kind of like “grow up”, in regards to that author. 

The author made it a very left vs right thing. I certainly know people on both sides of the political spectrum who have had vaccine hesitancy, and that’s fine.  

The bottom line is that I thought it was a ridiculous and downright comical article that you guys might enjoy. 

Thanks, I see your point. It's fascinating how much things err back and forth. Trump is certainly a bully and bullied people during his presidency (and, in general, many liberals hated it while many conservatives loved it)....and now "same people" have switched "sides" (ie. "You tell them they HAVE to get it".... or ... "We will NOT be spoken to like that...'

Humans really are quite fickle. lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

These same people will claim that our elections are rigged…so in that case, why would they need to kill off Republican voters? The fix is in anyway, right? 

I don’t know; I think everyone is losing it. I remember when some Democrats said they wouldn’t take the vaccine as long as Trump was President, then they did a 180. Why does everything need to be about politics? It’s so absurd. I lean Republican but I got vaccinated because my mom losing two coworkers and getting COVID herself alarmed me. If not for vaccines, we’d still be dealing with polio. 

So we won the lawsuit for the fence but the business failed to pay me. It’s an LLC so not sure what we can do…they probably dissolved the business and created a new one. 

Currently downtown at county court office issuing subpoenas to every bank in western New York. I’m learning so much about the law during this process. I still have it on my resume that I won in court, I should totally go to law school. I destroyed the guy in court. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

So we won the lawsuit for the fence but the business failed to pay me. It’s an LLC so not sure what we can do…they probably dissolved the business and created a new one. 

Currently downtown at county court office issuing subpoenas to every bank in western New York. I’m learning so much about the law during this process. I still have it on my resume that I won in court, I should totally go to law school. I destroyed the guy in court. 

Glad it went well for you. These businesses can be very slippery with dissolving or closing under one name and then reopening under another. Missed the first part of the story. Curious as to what happened with your fence.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic