• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Again, speaking from a politically moderate position, how can people ignore the "elephant in the room" that this current administration is completely destroying our economy, world leadership position, and pretty much the ethical standards in which we make decisions. So disgusted.

I feel like this post is far more accurate if we were discussing the previous administration.  It’s like a bizarro world.  Trump trashed the economy and sent the deficit to the moon with his horrible corporate tax cuts.  He idolized Putin and Kim Jong, making us look incredible weak.   Biden isn’t wonderful but to turn a blind eye to how we got here is ridiculous. If you think the country is ****ed it didn’t magically happen in 8 months, look back a little further. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

People need to practice what they preach lol

Last year someone bitched and moaned they couldn't come on this thread because of all the politics but this year that's what every post is about lol I guess when it fits peoples agenda:rolleyes:

Btw politics are not allowed on this board, we have thread for that..

TBH not sure why this thread even exist anymore lol "General discussion" has always been handled on the weather boards, we have a small group..If nobody wants to hear about covid (understandably), which this thread was created for, then maybe it should be deleted lol We are now over 200 pages, 6k post?

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

People need to practice what they preach lol

Last year someone bitched and moaned they couldn't come on this thread because of all the politics but this year that's what every post is about lol I guess when it fits peoples agenda:rolleyes:

Btw politics are not allowed on this board, we have thread for that..

TBH not sure why this thread even exist anymore lol "General discussion" has always been handled on the weather boards, we have a small group..If nobody wants to hear about covid (understandably), which this thread was created for, then maybe it should be deleted lol We are now over 200 pages, 6k post?

If you're referring to me, I don't have an agenda. This subforum has routinely been a Covid/political thread 

It's when people discuss how much the democrats suck that you and Delta get frisky.

Many of us seem to be rational and moderate when it comes to politics, which I love. It's impossible to discuss politics with extremists on either side.

I definitely lean on the conservative side, but there has been some great discussion on here that has helped me understand the thought processing and hearts of those who have a more liberal way of thinking.

9 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

If you're referring to me, I don't have an agenda. This subforum has routinely been a Covid/political thread 

It's when people discuss how much the democrats suck that you and Delta get frisky.

Many of us seem to be rational and moderate when it comes to politics, which I love. It's impossible to discuss politics with extremists on either side.

I definitely lean on the conservative side, but there has been some great discussion on here that has helped me understand the thought processing and hearts of those who have a more liberal way of thinking.

No it hasn't or wasn't meant to be..I created it..It was only COVID-19.. People started bashing trump(mainly on the handling of COVID-19), myself included, you wrote a post claiming the thread was "unreadable" because of all the political post..A mod came in here multiple times telling members politics don't belong in this thread.. Most of us have toned it down..

6 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I feel like this post is far more accurate if we were discussing the previous administration.  It’s like a bizarro world.  Trump trashed the economy and sent the deficit to the moon with his horrible corporate tax cuts.  He idolized Putin and Kim Jong, making us look incredible weak.   Biden isn’t wonderful but to turn a blind eye to how we got here is ridiculous. If you think the country is ****ed it didn’t magically happen in 8 months, look back a little further. 

You don’t have to be the origin of a problem in order to contribute to it. Trump clearly had his issues but that doesn’t excuse the horror show that is Biden/Harris. I’m sorry, this administration just doesn’t have the chops. I have higher standards for voting for someone other than simply saying “He’s not Trump”. When you say or think it can’t get worse, it often does and in a big way. The bottom line is that most people in DC have failed us and that goes for both sides of the aisle. We’re basically arguing over who sucks less at this point. They can all take a hike as far as I’m concerned.

Ok, that was cathartic. Rant over.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

No it hasn't or wasn't meant to be..I created it..It was only COVID-19.. People started bashing trump(mainly on the handling of COVID-19), myself included, you wrote a post claiming the thread was "unreadable" because of all the political post..A mod came in here multiple times telling members politics don't belong in this thread.. Most of us have toned it down..

I don't get your passive aggressive responses towards me. I apologize that I get under your skin. It's not my intent at all. I appreciate you admitting you harped on Trump. I actually refrain from saying much about Biden on here, or in the "real world" in general. It's VERY clear he is not in a mentally healthy state to run our nation... And these "mystery handlers" behind him actually running things. That concerns me. Trump was the opposite. Everybody always knew who was running things with him and what was going on because he's a pompous loud mouth... but at least we knew what was going on.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

You don’t have to be the origin of a problem in order to contribute to it. Trump clearly had his issues but that doesn’t excuse the horror show that is Biden/Harris. I’m sorry, this administration just doesn’t have the chops. I have higher standards for voting for someone than simply saying “He’s not Trump”. When you say or think it can’t get worse, it often does and in a big way. The bottom line is that most people in DC have failed us and that goes for both sides of the aisle. We’re basically arguing over who sucks less at this point. They can all take a hike as far as I’m concerned.

Ok, that was cathartic. Rant over.

Yup! CLEAN THEM ALL OUT!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Again, speaking from a politically moderate position, how can people ignore the "elephant in the room" that this current administration is completely destroying our economy, world leadership position, and pretty much the ethical standards in which we make decisions. So disgusted.

You wrote in a post below that you can't discuss politics with extremists.

Do you think this post from you invites discussion?

"Completely destroying the economy" means what, exactly?  Can you tell us in terms of GDP, unemployment, the stock market, or something else you have noticed?

Same thing with your other accusations.

They are wild assertions, and you provided nothing to back them up.

You can do better, no?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cny rider said:

You wrote in a post below that you can't discuss politics with extremists.

Do you think this post from you invites discussion?

"Completely destroying the economy" means what, exactly?  Can you tell us in terms of GDP, unemployment, the stock market, or something else you have noticed?

Same thing with your other accusations.

They are wild assertions, and you provided nothing to back them up.

You can do better, no?

Yes, I can. Thanks. My concerns reference the billions of dollars in debt we are in, and money just continues to be handed out. Where is all this money coming from? In addition, the pressures, taxes, regulations are very tough on the small businesses that so many citizens I love are having to close down. In my opinion and observation, our government is intentionally leading us into a situation where we as citizens HAVE to rely on them.

As far as world leadership,  Biden and his administration have greatly affected how the world perceives us as a "superpower" in their responses to Afghanistan, Mexico, etc... Talk about making us a laughing stock to the world. Russia and China immediately made their moves due to the departure. Perhaps that was inevitable, that they would make their moves...did Trump or Biden plan a way to deal with them? Any time other nations pushed, Trump pushed back. Biden? Nah. We don't hold much intimidation anymore in the grand scheme of world politics.

Ethically? I know people have different perspectives of ethics, so I'm not even going there. This one is based more on personal ethics.

To be clear, I do not "hate" Biden. I am genuinely concerned about the man's health...and it disgusts me that the democrats are using him as a pawn. When our "Commander in Chief" falls asleep during meetings, can't remember consistently what he is talking about, tries to get himself back on track by saying, "Look, ....." , and doesn't know where he is walking, I have concerns.

Yes, I believe our nation has made a mockery of the presidency...and NOT just with Biden.

My apologies, wolfie, as you mentioned this shouldn't be about politics. I figured I should respond to a question that was asked of me.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Bills need to get their act together. If they play like they did on Sunday, they could lose to Dolphins too. 

Long season but you never want to get behind the 8 ball right out of the gate.  There is an extra game this year but things tend to get hairy if you start 0-2.  My Giants looked bad too.  Looks like another long year at Met Life.  

I was shocked to see how badly the Packers lost.  Will be interesting to see how they respond, especially with Rodgers having a terrible game after missing offseason workouts.

• Like 1

Yeah typical giants lol 

Now they have a short week and face Wash before heading to NO, things can get ugly real quick if they don't play better..

If they have another disastrous year you can say goodbye to Jones lol Doubt they give him that 5th year..

On a positive note the bears got beat up pretty good, more losses the better lol

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yes, I can. Thanks. My concerns reference the billions of dollars in debt we are in, and money just continues to be handed out. Where is all this money coming from? In addition, the pressures, taxes, regulations are very tough on the small businesses that so many citizens I love are having to close down. In my opinion and observation, our government is intentionally leading us into a situation where we as citizens HAVE to rely on them.

As far as world leadership,  Biden and his administration have greatly affected how the world perceives us as a "superpower" in their responses to Afghanistan, Mexico, etc... Talk about making us a laughing stock to the world. Russia and China immediately made their moves due to the departure. Perhaps that was inevitable, that they would make their moves...did Trump or Biden plan a way to deal with them? Any time other nations pushed, Trump pushed back. Biden? Nah. We don't hold much intimidation anymore in the grand scheme of world politics.

Ethically? I know people have different perspectives of ethics, so I'm not even going there. This one is based more on personal ethics.

To be clear, I do not "hate" Biden. I am genuinely concerned about the man's health...and it disgusts me that the democrats are using him as a pawn. When our "Commander in Chief" falls asleep during meetings, can't remember consistently what he is talking about, tries to get himself back on track by saying, "Look, ....." , and doesn't know where he is walking, I have concerns.

Yes, I believe our nation has made a mockery of the presidency...and NOT just with Biden.

My apologies, wolfie, as you mentioned this shouldn't be about politics. I figured I should respond to a question that was asked of me.

I just couldn't disagree more about world leadership.  Trump has openly idolized and adored the most ruthless leaders time and time again.  It's completely unacceptable and comes across as being just about as weak as you could imagine.  There is a reason other countries want Trump as president, and its certainly not because he plays tough.  He's a complete pushover who just wants to be liked and idolized, and they know it.   I really hope you read through this article at the things Trump has said about the worst dictators of our time.  It certainly doesnt come across as someone who draws a hard line.  

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/02/526520042/6-strongmen-trumps-praised-and-the-conflicts-it-presents

29 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I just couldn't disagree more about world leadership.  Trump has openly idolized and adored the most ruthless leaders time and time again.  It's completely unacceptable and comes across as being just about as weak as you could imagine.  There is a reason other countries want Trump as president, and its certainly not because he plays tough.  He's a complete pushover who just wants to be liked and idolized, and they know it.   I really hope you read through this article at the things Trump has said about the worst dictators of our time.  It certainly doesnt come across as someone who draws a hard line.  

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/02/526520042/6-strongmen-trumps-praised-and-the-conflicts-it-presents

As an aside..  NPR (much like the NYT, Wapo) is an interesting and prime example of what has happened to the traditional media in the US. It used to be a reasonably reliable in-depth source of information, left-leaning but I followed them, recognizing their political inclinations, writ large.  But since the advent of wokeness and Trump...it's gone full batshit crazy left, fully suscribing to the Marxist progressive Left agenda and the new puritanism - cancel culture. It's become unwatchable and esp on radio - unlistenable, chock-a-block full of class and identity agenda politics.  Its as if they want to out-Fox the Fox network news from the other side...and are succeeding. And don't take my word for it...Taibbi and Greenwald are left of Center journalists on Substack that I admire for their overall realism and recognition of how the insane Left is running broken field spiking their football in everybody's face.  Just an observation. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I certainly don't idolize the man and shake my head at the obsession people have with him. I hate this "lesser of 2 evils" mumbo jumbo that many Americans seem to base their voting on. Pretty sad, isn't it? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

As an aside..  NPR (much like the NYT, Wapo) is an interesting and prime example of what has happened to the traditional media in the US. It used to be a reasonably reliable in-depth source of information, left-leaning but I followed them, recognizing their political inclinations, writ large.  But since the advent of wokeness and Trump...it's gone full batshit crazy left, fully suscribing to the Marxist progressive Left agenda and the new puritanism - cancel culture. It's become unwatchable and esp on radio - unlistenable, chock-a-block full of class and identity agenda politics.  Its as if they want to out-Fox the Fox network news from the other side...and are succeeding. And don't take my word for it...Taibbi and Greenwald are left of Center journalists on Substack that I admire for their overall realism and recognition of how the insane Left is running broken field spiking their football in everybody's face.  Just an observation. 

Forget the source, just read all the direct quotes.  I agree there is a lot of spin, and I don't care about that aspect. I watched and read when he said all of the things outlined in that article....and it was disgusting to hear.  

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Forget the source, just read all the direct quotes.  I agree there is a lot of spin, and I don't care about that aspect. I watched and read when he said all of the things outlined in that article....and it was disgusting to hear.  

In terms of which side I vote for the climate and health care are my 2 biggest issues by far. So despite me being more fiscally conservative the first 2 issues take paramount to anything else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

You get yourself way too caught up in media spin. The truth with anything is always somewhere in the middle. I’m sure I could find more examples of disgusting things to hear from the other side.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-obama-russia-putin-sb-idUSTRE56657Q20090707

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/biden-praises-vladimir-putin-and-calls-him-a-worthy-adversary/vi-AAL2ndZ

10 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

You get yourself way too caught up in media spin. The truth with anything is always somewhere in the middle. I’m sure I could find more examples of disgusting things to hear from the other side.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-obama-russia-putin-sb-idUSTRE56657Q20090707

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/biden-praises-vladimir-putin-and-calls-him-a-worthy-adversary/vi-AAL2ndZ

Can you imagine if Obama had said this? Right wing heads would still be exploding.  It’s just so juvenile and narcissistic too.

“Trump gloats about the half-dozen or so letters Kim has written him as if he were a smitten teenager in possession of valentines from a crush. White House officials refer to the diplomatic correspondence jokingly as “love letters.” Kim addresses Trump as “Your Excellency” and employs flowery language to describe the president’s energy and political smarts, according to people who have read them. Trump has shown the documents to dozens of Oval Office visitors and bragged about them in public.

“He wrote me beautiful letters, and they’re great letters,” Trump said at a September rally in West Virginia. “We fell in love.”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Can you imagine if Obama had said this? Right wing heads would still be exploding.  It’s just so juvenile and narcissistic too.

“Trump gloats about the half-dozen or so letters Kim has written him as if he were a smitten teenager in possession of valentines from a crush. White House officials refer to the diplomatic correspondence jokingly as “love letters.” Kim addresses Trump as “Your Excellency” and employs flowery language to describe the president’s energy and political smarts, according to people who have read them. Trump has shown the documents to dozens of Oval Office visitors and bragged about them in public.

“He wrote me beautiful letters, and they’re great letters,” Trump said at a September rally in West Virginia. “We fell in love.”

Cmon you can’t hear the sarcasm in that?

watch it, it was met with laughter and applause. 

9 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

You really going to argue that this is better? The most powerful man in the world doesn’t know how to handle himself next to a woman trying to give a televised speech?

8 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

You really going to argue that this is better? The most powerful man in the world doesn’t know how to handle himself next to a woman trying to give a televised speech?

Let’s just pretend he’s actual suffering from dementia there (which I assume is what your alluding to). At least he’s not willingly sucking up to a foreign dictator. I’ll take the guy that isnt actually aspiring to befriend a dictator any day of the week.

Joe Biden’s health has nothing to do with Trump being the weakest leader in our history.  I mean that video has literally nothing to do with the point I’m trying to make so I'm done arguing with your juvenile responses. 

9 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Let’s just pretend he’s actual suffering from dementia there (which I assume is what your alluding to). At least he’s not willingly sucking up to a foreign dictator. I’ll take the guy that isnt actually aspiring to befriend a dictator any day of the week.

Joe Biden’s health has nothing to do with Trump being the weakest leader in our history.  I mean that video has literally nothing to do with the point I’m trying to make so I'm done arguing with your juvenile responses. 

I'm not trying to get into a tit for tat with you on Biden vs Trump, just saying that affirmation confirmation is pretty easy these days. Your post about how Trump has said nice things about Putin is easily countered with compliments Biden and Obama have said.

Its all about grabbing votes and staying in power. 

• Like 1

Matt you will be happy to know that the federal budget deficit shrank year over year for the first time in 4 years:  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-budget-deficit-narrowed-to-2-7-trillion-in-first-11-months-of-fiscal-year-11631556001

This after an unprecedented runup under President Trump who took over a growing economy with low unemployment and shrinking deficits and presided over unprecedented growth in the federal budget deficit.

21 minutes ago, cny rider said:

Matt you will be happy to know that the federal budget deficit shrank year over year for the first time in 4 years:  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-budget-deficit-narrowed-to-2-7-trillion-in-first-11-months-of-fiscal-year-11631556001

This after an unprecedented runup under President Trump who took over a growing economy with low unemployment and shrinking deficits and presided over unprecedented growth in the federal budget deficit.

Also this...the extra unemployment ended, so will be interesting to see if this maintains. 

There are about 1 million more job openings than people looking for work

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/07/there-are-about-1-million-more-job-openings-than-people-looking-for-work.html

I watched a documentary on the election and how Trump tried to get it overturned last night. I really do think he thought his republican friends would support him when he called them to make some "exceptions". There are recorded phone calls and verified documents showing him, Rudy, and his people at the white house trying to get them to say it was a stolen election. Maricopa counties and Georgia are the 2 main spots. They said if a few republicans decided to commit fraud it would have been a different outcome. I do support having photo ID when voting, but when you try to undermine democracy. I'm not sure how anyone can support that. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cny rider said:

You think Biden and his administration had anything to do with that shrinking? And, that won't last long considering what they're about to do. Let's keep producing money and then handing more and more of it out. Yeah, let's see how that positively helps us in the years to come....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I watched a documentary on the election and how Trump tried to get it overturned last night. I really do think he thought his republican friends would support him when he called them to make some "exceptions". There are recorded phone calls and verified documents showing him, Rudy, and his people at the white house trying to get them to say it was a stolen election. Maricopa counties and Georgia are the 2 main spots. They said if a few republicans decided to commit fraud it would have been a different outcome. I do support having photo ID when voting, but when you try to undermine democracy. I'm not sure how anyone can support that. 

You should watch this one for an opposing viewpoint. https://www.amazon.com/Plot-Against-President-Devin-Nunes/dp/B08LMJ93LL

Not calling it truth.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic