• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Just got back from backpacking the adirondacks. We did 4 peaks and it was by far the hardest hike of my life. 6500 elevation gain and over 24 miles. So much mud and water up there. I will never do that hike ever again. Brings me to 36/46 peaks, 10 left! Should finish up next year.

The mosquitoes didn't carry you away?!? They have been AWFUL in the Syracuse area this week. You can't even walk outside without getting attacked by tons of little ones. Social media has been lighting up with chatter about them. lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

The mosquitoes didn't carry you away?!? They have been AWFUL in the Syracuse area this week. You can't even walk outside without getting attacked by tons of little ones. Social media has been lighting up with chatter about them. lol

No bugs at all up there. It was freezing sleeping in my hammock overnight at 2500 feet. Had to be in the upper 30s/low 40s. Once you get below 50 the bugs usually go away.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm surprised with the "cooler" air mass in place.. According to an article from USA today mosquitos start to become"lethargic" when temps get below 60° and start to die off under 50°..We had 1 day under 50° and the rest mainly mid-upper 50s which has definitely kept them at bay in this area.. Humidity and DPs have been good for the most part..

5 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah I'm surprised with the "cooler" air mass in place.. According to an article from USA today mosquitos start to become"lethargic" when temps get below 60° and start to die off under 50°..We had 1 day under 50° and the rest mainly mid-upper 50s which has definitely kept them at bay in this area.. Humidity and DPs have been good for the most part..

We've had a couple of lows near 50 degrees over the past few weeks....but with Syracuse being built on swamps/wetlands and the urban heat island, it's probably going to take a while...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Just got back from backpacking the adirondacks. We did 4 peaks and it was by far the hardest hike of my life. 6500 elevation gain and over 24 miles. So much mud and water up there. I will never do that hike ever again. Brings me to 36/46 peaks, 10 left! Should finish up next year.

Nice!  What peaks did you do?

On 8/30/2021 at 7:28 PM, cny rider said:

Good move.  You're doing the right thing.

Agreed.  Getting the vax is the smart thing to do if you have never actually had covid19....its about as safe as any other vax we get.  There have been deaths and bad reactions to it but the % of that occurrence is very very low.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:39 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

drinking lots of water is pretty big before and after receiving the vax from my understanding. 

I went out bar hopping after each vax shot.  Figured, if i'm going to feel like sh*t might as well have some fun.  ;)

i was fine, if i had any reaction it was more from the alcohol than anything else...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Not to be insensitive to those who have passed or became seriously ill but holy literal ****. A country wide vaccine mandate? What a ****ing disaster, complete over reach. I’m no conspiracy theorist but it’s as if someone is purposely trying to rip the country apart. 

To be fair they can get tested weekly instead. My best friend is the biggest anti vaxxer on the planet and works at one of these employers. He is not going to be happy.

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

Not to be insensitive to those who have passed or became seriously ill but holy literal ****. A country wide vaccine mandate? What a ****ing disaster, complete over reach. I’m no conspiracy theorist but it’s as if someone is purposely trying to rip the country apart. 

What’s odd to me is that we’ve had vaccine mandates for all sorts of diseases for decades and everyone was cool with it. This isn’t unprecedented, it’s just been politicized by the recent administration. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

What’s odd to me is that we’ve had vaccine mandates for all sorts of diseases for decades and everyone was cool with it. This isn’t unprecedented, it’s just been politicized by the recent administration. 

I’ve never had an employer ask for my medical records as a condition of employment. I am vaccinated, but don’t think it’s fair to force someone to get vaccinated or pay for testing. Nothing to do with politics in that. My company is under 100 employees so we don’t have to deal with fallout but my wife’s company is preferring for how to operate with less staff, which makes no sense as she works in health care…

You’ve gotta think the Supreme Court will challenge if this is constitutional or not, especially with how this is an executive order and not a law.  Federal employees I can understand, but reaching into the private job sector like this?  I just don’t see how the whole thing would even work, would it even be possible to weekly test that many people?  Business can’t find enough employees as it is now, this will only act to further sour the job market and continue the downward spiral on economy is currently on.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

I’ve never had an employer ask for my medical records as a condition of employment. I am vaccinated, but don’t think it’s fair to force someone to get vaccinated or pay for testing. Nothing to do with politics in that. My company is under 100 employees so we don’t have to deal with fallout but my wife’s company is preferring for how to operate with less staff, which makes no sense as she works in health care…

Many health care facilities are already stretched thin.  The hospital my girlfriend works at is always short-staffed to begin with.  There are something like 20 openings just in the ER and the wait times there are horrendous.

My boss said the same thing this morning.  Companies might reduce staff if they're right around the 100 employee threshold just so they don't have to deal with this.

7 minutes ago, matt8204 said:

Wow.  Big-time crisis in health care right now.  The ones who are left behind to deal with the shortages are going to get burned out and might end up quitting as a result.  It's a vicious cycle.

Not only right now.  It's going to worsen over the next 5-10 years.

Many are bailing out immediately from working in health care.

Many though are hanging on for now but planning a career change or earlier retirement and that's going to play out over the coming years, making the shortages of today look trivial.

There are too many of us that want out, and no way to "make new ones" fast enough given the multiple years of training and experience needed.

It's definitely going to get worse before it gets better.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, cny rider said:

Not only right now.  It's going to worsen over the next 5-10 years.

Many are bailing out immediately from working in health care.

Many though are hanging on for now but planning a career change or earlier retirement and that's going to play out over the coming years, making the shortages of today look trivial.

There are too many of us that want out, and no way to "make new ones" fast enough given the multiple years of training and experience needed.

It's definitely going to get worse before it gets better.

While healthcare is the most critical industry that is seeing this, this is also playing out for at least teaching, construction, and engineering in upstate NY.  Good replacements just don’t exist in these areas.  Our tiny rural school is basically hiring anyone with a warm body.  This is a huge swing of the pendulum from 13 years ago when it was very difficult to find an elementary teaching job.  My construction/engineering industry has been struggling for the past 15+ years to find people who want to work, not to mention know how to build anything.

This will lead to wage growth, but it’s so widespread it’s going to lead to significant inflation, too. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, winter_rules said:

While healthcare is the most critical industry that is seeing this, this is also playing out for at least teaching, construction, and engineering in upstate NY.  Good replacements just don’t exist in these areas.  Our tiny rural school is basically hiring anyone with a warm body.  This is a huge swing of the pendulum from 13 years ago when it was very difficult to find an elementary teaching job.  My construction/engineering industry has been struggling for the past 15+ years to find people who want to work, not to mention know how to build anything.

This will lead to wage growth, but it’s so widespread it’s going to lead to significant inflation, too. 

Scary stuff.  In my most recent job, my boss essentially told me that I was hired by default.  He had the job posting online for 2-3 months and received maybe a handful of responses.  Those who applied aside from myself were either unqualified or canceled/no-showed the interview.  

• Sad 1

Just now, matt8204 said:

Scary stuff.  In my most recent job, my boss essentially told me that I was hired by default.  He had the job posting online for 2-3 months and received maybe a handful of responses.  Those who applied aside from myself were either unqualified or canceled/no-showed the interview.  

There are more jobs then people for the first time in history I believe, incredible stat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

Yes, and the Feds are still passing out billions of free money. Really concerned about national debt and how it will impact our futures. 

Need to watch consumer inflation as well in short term.  Housing market is still floating in outer space from last years spike.  Medical and Insurance costs soar higher every year.  Raw materials spiked few months ago (remember lumber pricing).  Gas keeps creeping up.  Cars… Computers… You name it… Coming months will be the worst however food prices will start to see a huge lift.  Lack of material to manufacture goods, lack of workers, major lack in transportation supply chain will all lead to rapidly increasing costs for everyday household items and groceries.   There is going to be a major “realignment of value” in this country soon.  

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic