• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

12 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A friend I used to work with just posted this to his facebook...She was around 40 and not overweight. This Delta variant is no joke...

The last 3 weeks my wife has been in the ICU with Covid pneumonia. Alot of changes to come for all those she has impacted during her time here on Earth. I will be coming home within the next month. I am eternally grateful that she took my last name and made me a part of her life.

What a tragedy.  My mom was in the hospital with it for five days in April because her oxygen levels were dipping.  She was told that she also developed pneumonia.  So grateful that she came out of it.  She's still dealing with fatigue and some hair loss but she's alive.  That's all I can ask for.  Two of her coworkers died of it.  

• Sad 3

Going to make an appointment to get the vaccine shot tomorrow or Wednesday. In being transparent, I'm totally nervous about it. I know it's "not a big deal" to many, but I have always struggled with putting new things in my body. My immune system tends to be one that doesn't respond well to medications and tests...I'm always one of the "rare cases" with an odd response to things...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Going to make an appointment to get the vaccine shot tomorrow or Wednesday. In being transparent, I'm totally nervous about it. I know it's "not a big deal" to many, but I have always struggled with putting new things in my body. My immune system tends to be one that doesn't respond well to medications and tests...I'm always one of the "rare cases" with an odd response to things...

Good move.  You're doing the right thing.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cny rider said:

Good move.  You're doing the right thing.

:) As I've mentioned before, I try to be as balanced and moderate as possible about things. I refused to be bullied into doing something, but at the same time have been very careful and thoughtful with interactions. I've been doing research and having some very good, honest conversations with some friends who I respect very much....some of whom are pretty traditional conservatives and HAVE been vaccinated. They made some very valid points after I ASKED for their opinions and wisdom about the vaccine. This is a very difficult decision for me, but I believe it's time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

:) As I've mentioned before, I try to be as balanced and moderate as possible about things. I refused to be bullied into doing something, but at the same time have been very careful and thoughtful with interactions. I've been doing research and having some very good, honest conversations with some friends who I respect very much....some of whom are pretty traditional conservatives and HAVE been vaccinated. They made some very valid points after I ASKED for their opinions and wisdom about the vaccine. This is a very difficult decision for me, but I believe it's time.

I was also hesitant and just got my second Pfizer shot last week.  I did some “research” but it’s hard/impossible to really “know” what is right.  In the end, it came down to this for me:  4 of 8 people that I know first-hand who had the illness are dealing some kind of long term effect from the virus.  I know of many, many more (100+?) people who have been vaccinated and I don’t know of even one negative effect except for the expected hungover feel for a day or two.  

Incidentally, I work for a private construction company full of strong conservatives (not bandwagon Trumpers but mainly long-term fiscal conservatives), and I was surprised that nearly everyone except me got the shot as soon as it was available for them.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Totally understandable. We all have our anxieties and issues that we grapple with. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes. 

They’re still keeping people at the site for 15-30 minutes after the injection to make sure they don’t have an immediate reaction. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, winter_rules said:

I was also hesitant and just got my second Pfizer shot last week.  I did some “research” but it’s hard/impossible to really “know” what is right.  In the end, it came down to this for me:  4 of 8 people that I know first-hand who had the illness are dealing some kind of long term effect from the virus.  I know of many, many more (100+?) people who have been vaccinated and I don’t know of even one negative effect except for the expected hungover feel for a day or two.  

Incidentally, I work for a private construction company full of strong conservatives (not bandwagon Trumpers but mainly long-term fiscal conservatives), and I was surprised that nearly everyone except me got the shot as soon as it was available for them.  

Thanks for your response. Yes, the "research" is overwhelming. A big deciding factor for me is that the Delta variant seems to be spreading in children easier. I just can not fathom the kids at school (I work in a school) getting sick because of me not doing what I could have done to reduce their odds of illness. I could not live with myself. My wife's family also has bad asthma...I need to do what I can do.

I can't believe how nervous I am about getting it, but I am. In talking with others, I realize I am not alone in that though, which has also been comforting. A colleague encouraged me to rub my arm nice and firmly after getting it because it helps to spread the injection around. I have also read that drinking Gatorade and being well hydrated helps to reduce side effects.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Totally understandable. We all have our anxieties and issues that we grapple with. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes. 

They’re still keeping people at the site for 15-30 minutes after the injection to make sure they don’t have an immediate reaction. 

Thanks for your sympathies. Will do!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Thanks for your response. Yes, the "research" is overwhelming. A big deciding factor for me is that the Delta variant seems to be spreading in children easier. I just can not fathom the kids at school (I work in a school) getting sick because of me not doing what I could have done to reduce their odds of illness. I could not live with myself. My wife's family also has bad asthma...I need to do what I can do.

I can't believe how nervous I am about getting it, but I am. In talking with others, I realize I am not alone in that though, which has also been comforting. A colleague encouraged me to rub my arm nice and firmly after getting it because it helps to spread the injection around. I have also read that drinking Gatorade and being well hydrated helps to reduce side effects.

Interesting. I drink a ton of water, especially in the summer. Maybe that helped to minimize my side effects. I just got my first dose on Friday. Might try the rubbing technique also.

8 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

I had a pretty severe "hangover" after my second shot.  But I went straight from the shot to the kids baseball practice (inside) and played catcher and sweat my a** off.  I'm sure if I didn't do that, or hydrated better my reaction wouldn't have been as bad.  Still I was pretty much fine by early afternoon the next day.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

You've got this man! Hang in there and take a day or two off from work to recover if it hits ya. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sitting here in the pharmacy making sure I don't have side effects. I ended up breaking down a bit in tears....this has been hard for me to get this thing for reasons of my own...But I just couldn't fathom one my students dying if I passed it to them.

Seems so silly to be emotional about it...but just a another perspective ...

6 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Sitting here in the pharmacy making sure I don't have side effects. I ended up breaking down a bit in tears....this has been hard for me to get this thing for reasons of my own...But I just couldn't fathom one my students dying if I passed it to them.

Seems so silly to be emotional about it...but just a another perspective ...

We're all here for you Tuggy! You got this! You will be blessed for putting your students first. Big LES event coming your way this winter. :snowwindow:

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We're all here for you Tuggy! You got this! You will be blessed for putting your students first. Big LES event coming your way this winter. :snowwindow:

Yes good job Tug! Totally get the anxiety in it but think you did the right thing. Hopefully you get a big one this winter (and not while your out of town) haha! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also have a fear of needles. When I get blood work I have to lay down all the way back in the big blue chair. One time I got blood work sitting down in a chair and passed out and hit my head on the floor.

The nurse when I got my 2nd shot diagnosed my condition as her husband and son had the same thing. I forgot the exact verbiage as I never heard it before. But I get dizzy at the sight of a needle and when its in me I pass out 50-60% of the time. So getting the vaccine was a pretty big ordeal for me as well. 

I looked it up and its a vasovagal reaction. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I also have a fear of needles. When I get blood work I have to lay down all the way back in the big blue chair. One time I got blood work sitting down in a chair and passed out and hit my head on the floor.

The nurse when I got my 2nd shot diagnosed my condition as her husband and son had the same thing. I forgot the exact verbiage as I never heard it before. But I get dizzy at the sight of a needle and when its in me I pass out 50-60% of the time. So getting the vaccine was a pretty big ordeal for me as well. 

I looked it up and its a vasovagal reaction. 

Wow.  Sounds similar to me.  I get very light-headed.  Sometimes it's even a delayed reaction.  I go through the actual taking of the blood relatively fine...then it hits me a few minutes later.  I've found that drinking a lot of water before my appointment helps me for some reason.  I usually need to give a urine sample along with the blood work anyway, so it works out.

Looking back, I actually feel bad for the nurses who had to deal with me as a kid.  I was downright petrified of having my blood taken and gave them such a hard time.  I think I even ran out of the office once in sheer terror.  I got better as I got older but it's never been easy for me.  I get in my own head about it the night before and usually don't sleep well as a resut.:rolleyes:

On 8/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

I saw a bunch of flights delayed yesterday due to staffing shortages. Our flight from Charlotte was delayed 3 hours because they couldn't find another flight attendant. I saw 10 flights canceled on the screen in Charlotte showing cancelled, with many more being delayed. I think the mandatory vaccines/unemployment is really messing up staffing across the US. We all need to get back to work.

This just happened to us on our way to LAX. Also the hotels we’ve stayed at are understaffed. 
From Death Valley:

3A0D881D-73BF-4334-ACFE-C9F4E39CC2C7.jpeg

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Sorry to hear this.  Remember him well.  He spent some time with the Giants also.  Former linebacker Keith McCants also passed away this week.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2021/09/02/keith-mccants-dies-53-nfl-alabama-linebacker/5703279001/

• Sad 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic