• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

36 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I believe the new strain is 1000 times more contagious than the original one. The northern states will get another wave this fall/winter.

This virus is doing what it did last year so I believe you are right unfortunately. Only this time as you said it will be 1000 time more contagious 

PERCENT INCREASE OF NEW COVID-19 CASES BY AGE SINCE JUNE 25

Floridians of all ages contributed to a rapid increase in new cases during the month of July, but a Miami Herald analysis found that kids under 12 had the highest rate of increase in new cases between June 25-July 23.The seven-day average of new cases for Florida kids under 12 grew from 205 on June 25 to 1,544 the week of July 23 — a sevenfold increase.

Screenshot_20210807-150803.png

Someone responded to that data on another forum I follow

Well, there's a few things.

-That 95% figure seems like it was pulled out of someone's butt. I can't find that anywhere. I have heard it's a majority and the last number I heard is 60/40, which is normal in such a highly vaccinated sample.

-Speaking of highly vaccinated sample, let's address that. Israel is ridiculously young. Almost 30% of Israelis are under 15. That ~60% vaxxed figure is the whole population, including kids who mostly can't get it. The adult population is at somewhere between 85 and 90%. That sets the table for the rule of shares -- the more people vaccinated, the higher percentage of cases are breakthrough, even if the raw total doesn't change.

-Israel still only has 492 hospitalizations. New York State, with a similar population, has 1,121 despite their surge starting later, as our adult population is only 69% (nice) full vaxxed. That shows you right there that vaccines are making a significant difference.

-Israel hospitalizes more readily than we do. That differs across cultures. Of the 492 hospitalizations, only about 1 in 10 are intensive care. Article below about how many of their hospitalized patients are moderate cases and how the vaccines are helping to keep them moderate. Jeremy Lin, who used to play for the Knicks and now plays in China, was hospitalized yesterday in Shanghai for covid. He's absolutely fine and posting updates on social media -- just a mild fever. It's just normal to go to the hospital there. In the US, you're practically on death's door before you go because unlike in most of the developed world, it costs money here. Vaccinated Americans with moderate illness are going to say "hey, I'm vaccinated, so I'll take my chances over paying $131,000 for a hospital stay."

Israel has more serious COVID cases, but patients have milder illness, doctors say

• Like 2

Guys, ALL the data is showing the vaccines are working well, even against delta. If you accept the data, then accept the facts, and be reasonable about it. Please don't buy into the small crowd of anti-Covid vaccination fear-mongering people as they are only looking for validation of their decision not to take it. Again, this is a small subset of the people that chose not to take the vaccine. Most that I know, as I posted before, are either waiting for full approval, have pre-existing immune issues, or allergies. They certainly aren't a part of that small subset of anti-vaxxers. I'm not even a pro-vaxxer as we had to specifically find a pediatrician to allow us to choose which vaccines and when to administer to our 3 kiddos. We were rejected by multiple doctors during this process.

If you can't, at least, draw the reasonable conclusion that the vaccinated are more protected (forget the percentages, just more) from Covid than those not getting it, then there's really no point in further discussion.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:17 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

checked the comments and both he and his wife didn't receive vaccine. Still in denial and will get in a few more years after more research. :unsure:

Perfect example of that small subset...just trying to say 'we told you so'. 

33 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Guys, ALL the data is showing the vaccines are working well, even against delta. If you accept the data, then accept the facts, and be reasonable about it. Please don't buy into the small crowd of anti-Covid vaccination fear-mongering people as they are only looking for validation of their decision not to take it. Again, this is a small subset of the people that chose not to take the vaccine. Most that I know, as I posted before, are either waiting for full approval, have pre-existing immune issues, or allergies. They certainly aren't a part of that small subset of anti-vaxxers. I'm not even a pro-vaxxer as we had to specifically find a pediatrician to allow us to choose which vaccines and when to administer to our 3 kiddos. We were rejected by multiple doctors during this process.

If you can't, at least, draw the reasonable conclusion that the vaccinated are more protected (forget the percentages, just more) from Covid than those not getting it, then there's really no point in further discussion.

I wish the timing for approval was before I start back at school. Looking like it might coincide with JUST as school starts back up in early September.

I feel like waiting for after it is approved gives me more legal rights "just in case" something were to happen as a result of the vaccine.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 11:18 AM, brentrich said:

We need 8 weeks of lockdown ASAP. We had 250k cases yesterday with 1100 deaths and still rising. 

NFW.  Adults not vaxxed at this point, c'est la vie...  stay home if you're personally scared. This sh*t is never going to end with 7B global pop and what, 10% vaxxed? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

How is erie county substantial covid risk? Our transmission level is like 1%?? This is link my work shared

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/support.html

Nothing makes sense anymore. Theres really probably some alien invasion or asteroid strike about to happen and this is all a big diversion to prevent mass panic. :popcorn:

• Haha 3

I personally hate wearing a mask so much...We have over 20k employees, so this effects quite a few people on the east side of the country. 

My employer mandated masks in office starting last Friday, regardless of Vax status and I'd guess 90%+ are vaxxed. Restaurant rules basically.  Noone is playing covid theatre 2.0, we are back to 100% WFH. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

My employer mandated masks in office starting last Friday, regardless of Vax status and I'd guess 90%+ are vaxxed. Restaurant rules basically.  Noone is playing covid theatre 2.0, we are back to 100% WFH. 

If only I could work from home. My wife does and loves it. Maybe I need to start job searching. Trying to get next role in management before I leave. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

If only I could work from home. My wife does and loves it. Maybe I need to start job searching. Trying to get next role in management before I leave. 

I'm in the pool and WFH. F*ck it. If society is now run by the perpetually-afraid-of-their-shadow people, I'll consider this a Benny in lieu of stimmie checks. ;)

• Haha 1

I officially hate the CDC. I wish Trump would come back and say you're fired to them. :lol:

I don't think CDC is the villain here. It's the MSM sh*tting their pants to keep themselves relevant. And oh yeah, their political narratives. Gotta keep the hate and fear flowing...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

NFW.  Adults not vaxxed at this point, c'est la vie...  stay home if you're personally scared. This sh*t is never going to end with 7B global pop and what, 10% vaxxed? 

Unfortunately I think it's going to happen but not soon. More likely this fall. Biden and his team are discussing about it right now. 

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic