• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

17 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

20210422_123128.jpg

Just read the article. We're wearing masks forever. 

"If you want to get rid of the masks, if you want to get rid of the social distancing, if you want to get rid of the restrictions, go get vaccinated," he said. "We're going to have to keep mask restrictions in place until we're 100% sure we're out of the woods, and the best way to know we're out of the woods is to see those vaccination numbers go up and up and up.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks like temps in the mid to upper 70s next week. Going straight from winter to summer.

This seems to be the seem the last few years for sure. Last year we had accumulating snow second week of May straight to 90+ 2 weeks later. The day I brought my daughter home from the hospital (May 27th I believe) it was 96 on the car thermometer the whole way home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone mess around with crypto? After the crash last night I bought quite a bit. 

Yes.  Can’t stand how limited the exchanges are, for example, I use exchange “X” and other Cryptos i target are not available to i have to get on another exchange.  I don’t sell the farm with these but I use play money- and yes, I got crushed in the past 3 days.

1 hour ago, SyracuseStorm said:

Yes.  Can’t stand how limited the exchanges are, for example, I use exchange “X” and other Cryptos i target are not available to i have to get on another exchange.  I don’t sell the farm with these but I use play money- and yes, I got crushed in the past 3 days.

What are your favorite coins? I bought some ETH, Cardano, and XLM(going to convert to XRP in 5 days)

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

My buddy is HUGE into XRP, he think its going to be used by all banks. You cannot buy on coinbase anymore, but he said you can buy on atomic wallet and transfer over. 

Yea what made me buy in was what I learned about transfer fees. XRP is way cheaper than traditional ways of moving money bank to bank. Now they just have to figure out a way to reduce the volatility, however that’s true of (almost)all crypto. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone mess around with crypto? After the crash last night I bought quite a bit. 

I was trying to get in the game back in January right when all the market “activity” was taking off only to find out NYS has all these BS regulation on crypto purchasing and after spending hours trying to figure a work around I just gave up.  Was hot on trying to get DOGE back when it was 8/10ths of penny a coin.

The exchanges all seem so confusing and I just go by the old moto... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  Sure some people are gonna make a fortune but more are gonna lose out.

13 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I was trying to get in the game back in January right when all the market “activity” was taking off only to find out NYS has all these BS regulation on crypto purchasing and after spending hours trying to figure a work around I just gave up.  Was hot on trying to get DOGE back when it was 8/10ths of penny a coin.

The exchanges all seem so confusing and I just go by the old moto... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  Sure some people are gonna make a fortune but more are gonna lose out.

Well there is technology in most of the top 10 coins that is most likely going to be used quite a bit. Doge was created as a meme coin so I don't really trust it. But I think quite a few of the coins in blockchain/digital assets are 100% going to take over most payment methods. We are already seeing institutions use it. There are already crypto ATMS in some areas. Here are just a few of the many major companies accepting it as a form of payment. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/15-biggest-companies-accept-bitcoin-165115491.html

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

4 years ago you could have easily hidden millions in crypto from the gov. (You’d prob have at least 400% returns too) Not so much anymore. They had to regulate it. That said their are stilL plenty of tricks out their, the easiest being a VPN. (I am not advocating this)

19 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

4 years ago you could have easily hidden millions in crypto from the gov. (You’d prob have at least 400% returns too) Not so much anymore. They had to regulate it. That said their are stilL plenty of tricks out their, the easiest being a VPN. (I am not advocating this)

It's so decentralized that it would be impossible for the government to truly intervene. It's the ultimate separation from church and state. The only way for the government to truly mess everything up is to impose some crazy tax on crypto gains. I believe the current structure is long/short term capital gains similar to stocks. But I think in the long run its comparable to precious metals at 28% tax. 

I looked into crypto a bit back at the beginning of the year but E*TRADE didn’t trade the couple I was looking at so I just stuck with traditional stocks. Given Biden coming into office I went heavy into some alternative energy stocks and a couple commercial electric car/truck companies. That’s all pretty much blown up in my face so far....

25 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

I looked into crypto a bit back at the beginning of the year but E*TRADE didn’t trade the couple I was looking at so I just stuck with traditional stocks. Given Biden coming into office I went heavy into some alternative energy stocks and a couple commercial electric car/truck companies. That’s all pretty much blown up in my face so far....

A few of my friends took a pretty big loss with workhorse. The USPS contract was supposed to go to them but ended up going elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Polarbear said:

Checkout quantumscape(solid state batteries) and chargepoint(ev “gas stations”)

17 hours ago, MJO812 said:

According the data from Phase 3 Pfizer, you can have up to 89% efficacy after 15-21 days from the 1st shot only. That's quite remarkable considering we all get annual flu shots with efficacies ranging in the 30-60% range. Not quite sure why this story's author calls the 2nd dose "crucial", considering the J&J max efficacy for a single dose is in the 60s. I get that they are going along with the phased trials recommendations, but I think the 2nd dose could be a bit overkill in many cases (especially younger people with healthy immune responses).

Regarding symptoms, everyone I know got a headache and fatigue from the 1st Pfizer dose, including me. My brother had a massive headache after the 2nd dose as well.

I, for one, feel comfortable with just 1 dose, but unfortunately I'd be demonized as a non-completer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

Not sure what side of the argument you fall on with this post. 

I'm for gun rights, but also for more strict training and background checks at the same time. If we're going to have civilians packing heat in public, they need to be well-trained and well-vetted. In fact, I think there should be an initial test and ones that need to be passed on a annual basis to keep up with training. 

• Like 1

Just now, vortmax said:

I'm for gun rights, but also for more strict training and background checks at the same time. If we're going to have civilians packing heat in public, they need to be well-trained and well-vetted.

Same. I do wonder if NYS making pistol permits such a PITA has led more people to source pistols illegally though. The process shouldn't take 6 months.

1 minute ago, vortmax said:

I'm for gun rights, but also for more strict training and background checks at the same time. If we're going to have civilians packing heat in public, they need to be well-trained and well-vetted.

Yes! Way too many unstable people out there. If you're not a RESPONSIBLE individual, you don't show you're capable of living with that freedom of having a gun. Way too many people in this country miss the part of WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILITY.

• Thanks 1

I'm all for people protecting themselves but I'm not sure I'm alright with walking in public strapped..Hell I was brought up to run from people with guns lol They are obviously dangerous and I don't know the person behind that gun.. Clearly some use it as an "intimidating" method which is also not cool..imo.. Lastly many of the guns on the streets shouldn't be on the streets, military and police style weapons should never reach the public..

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic