• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

4 minutes ago, WNash said:

We did a week long loop several years ago that started and ended in Las Vegas that included the Hoover Dam/Lake Mead, Grand Canyon (south rim), Sedona, Lake Powell, Grand Staircase, Bryce, and Zion. Great trip. I recommend driving east along the Grand Canyon rim then along the Little Colorado canyon. Stayed in Flagstaff — great town, and at 7000 feet they get plenty of snow, though we were there in the summer. The main regret was that we didn’t go to the North Rim, but that’s a very long drive or a brutal hike in summer heat.

We are doing something similar, but I wanted a direct flight instead of multiple stops. So I got direct flights from Buffalo to Phoenix for $160 each way, 4 hour flight. We are doing Grand Canyon, Bryce, Moab, Zion, Lake Powell, Sedona, Monument Park. We will be gone 11 days. Haven't booked my air bnbs or hikes yet, but plan to camp out a few nights out there. 

• Like 1

The big trip this year is sometime in summer, going to Alaska. Haven't booked the flights yet, was hoping to get closer to see how the covid situation was. But looks to me that everything will be normal up there this summer. It's been #1 on my wifes list for awhile, really excited. 

My top 5

1.) New Zealand

2.) Norway

3.) Bali

4.) Switzerland

5.) Japan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

CDC just announced vaccinated people can travel with little to no risk and no restrictions. Should be back to normal by summer! 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-fully-vaccinated-people-can-travel-u-s-without-tests-n1262879

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The big trip this year is sometime in summer, going to Alaska. Haven't booked the flights yet, was hoping to get closer to see how the covid situation was. But looks to me that everything will be normal up there this summer. It's been #1 on my wifes list for awhile, really excited. 

My top 5

1.) New Zealand

2.) Norway

3.) Bali

4.) Switzerland

5.) Japan

I know I'm not the most positive person, but I do appreciate your optimism. I think you're one of the youngest in our group, so you definitely still have some of that youthful optimism (hopefully yours doesn't fade as you get older.) I feel like as I near 40, my skepticism and disappointments with the human race have clouded the idealism I once had. Some of that is cautious wisdom though, as it keeps me balanced and helps to temper unrealistic expectations I have. Anyways, I'm rambling.... The point is...I appreciate your positive energy.

As far as traveling, I have very similar goals as you! New Zealand is my number 1 place! As I've visited my family this week, my dad and I have been discussing Switzerland and going there. I also really would like to go to Australia, as I have worked with several Aussies over the years and JUST LOVE them. Jerusalem/Israel is also top on my list, as I am very interested in the Biblical history. I am also hoping we will be able to reschedule our Alaska Cruise and Northwest US/Yellowstone trip for next summer.

13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My top 5

1.) New Zealand

2.) Norway

3.) Bali

4.) Switzerland

5.) Japan

My list is similar, but would replace Bali with Fiji and add Seoul, Sicily, and maybe even Abu Dhabi.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I know I'm not the most positive person, but I do appreciate your optimism. I think you're one of the youngest in our group, so you definitely still have some of that youthful optimism (hopefully yours doesn't fade as you get older.) I feel like as I near 40, my skepticism and disappointments with the human race have clouded the idealism I once had. Some of that is cautious wisdom though, as it keeps me balanced and helps to temper unrealistic expectations I have. Anyways, I'm rambling.... The point is...I appreciate your positive energy.

As far as traveling, I have very similar goals as you! New Zealand is my number 1 place! As I've visited my family this week, my dad and I have been discussing Switzerland and going there. I also really would like to go to Australia, as I have worked with several Aussies over the years and JUST LOVE them. Jerusalem/Israel is also top on my list, as I am very interested in the Biblical history. I am also hoping we will be able to reschedule our Alaska Cruise and Northwest US/Yellowstone trip for next summer.

What good is there to be anything but optimistic. Our time on this planet is so short. I was just thinking my first post on here was from the Dec 1-3 2010 Lake effect storm. Cannot believe that was 11 years ago already...Time flies, Get out and live! 

I had a 16 day trip planned to New Zealand the first week of April of last year, but covid hit literally a week before I wish I got stuck there for the last year, would have been awesome lol. I planned that trip for months! I also had Norway planned for September of last year and had to cancel that as well. One day I'm going to sell everything, turn a van into my house and travel the world. 

I don't expect international travel to commence until at least 2022, and most likely summer of 2022. Just going through some travel forums, quite a few places in Europe just went back into lockdown, Auckland NZL did too. I don't expect travel into NZL until 2023. The canadian border isn't even open yet, and don't expect it to be for at least a few months. as Ontario just went into another month long lockdown. The vaccine rollout in America is the best in the world right now. We may not have universal healthcare, but man if we all work together we can get things done quick. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I don't expect international travel to commence until at least 2022, and most likely summer of 2022. Just going through some travel forums, quite a few places in Europe just went back into lockdown, Auckland NZL did too. I don't expect travel into NZL until 2023. The canadian border isn't even open yet, and don't expect it to be for at least a few months. as Ontario just went into another month long lockdown. The vaccine rollout in America is the best in the world right now. We may not have universal healthcare, but man if we all work together we can get things done quick. 

when do you think the Canadian border reopens. Just got season tickets for the Bills and hoping the border is reopen by September and Bills allow 100% fans.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

when do you think the Canadian border reopens. Just got season tickets for the Bills and hoping the border is reopen by September and Bills allow 100% fans.

I am not sure, I would think at least a few months as vaccinations are way behind in Canada vs USA. If I had to guess sometime in June/July

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmendevils8204 said:

What’s going on up there? I’ve heard great things about their healthcare system. I’m surprised they’re lagging on vaccinations.

Frankly? Largely because there’s limited supply and the US is taking most of what is approved and logistically practical for Canada. 

They also have a suspension of the AstraZeneca for under 60s, but that was only ever intended to be a piece of a bigger vaccine mix.

16 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My girl and I just got back from Costa Rica. We flew Delta out of SYR. Tickets were great and Covid protocols well adhered to. Costa rica was beautiful with everything open and all the locals and most tourist wearing masks. Did have to buy travel insurance to get in the country (about $40pp) and take a covid test on way back for entry into the US (about $100). Felt nice to itch that travel scratch again. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WNash said:

Frankly? Largely because there’s limited supply and the US is taking most of what is approved and logistically practical for Canada. 

They also have a suspension of the AstraZeneca for under 60s, but that was only ever intended to be a piece of a bigger vaccine mix.

Understood...but wouldn’t it stand to reason that we get more vaccines since our population is ten times greater?

33 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Understood...but wouldn’t it stand to reason that we get more vaccines since our population is ten times greater?

Yes, you’re correct, but the relevant measure, assuming there are equally efficient distribution systems, is % of population vaccinated. The Canadian government placed pre-orders tor seven different vaccines. That hedge didn’t allow them to overcome the leverage the US has by its market size and power over pharma companies. In retrospect, the only move that would have allowed Canada to keep up would have been to bet big on one vaccine, negotiating a guaranteed large early supply in exchange for a higher price and bigger order.

The risk, of course, would have been getting a less effective vaccine (or worse, paying for a failed vaccine candidate). That was a risky choice, and Canada is falling behind because of their safer bet.

EDIT: just wanted to add that difference in market size has negatively affected Canadian consumers for generations, ever since improving technology allowed for mass production of consumer goods.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WNash said:

Yes, you’re correct, but the relevant measure, assuming there are equally efficient distribution systems, is % of population vaccinated. The Canadian government placed pre-orders tor seven different vaccines. That hedge didn’t allow them to overcome the leverage the US has by its market size and power over pharma companies. In retrospect, the only move that would have allowed Canada to keep up would have been to bet big on one vaccine, negotiating a guaranteed large early supply in exchange for a higher price and bigger order.

The risk, of course, would have been getting a less effective vaccine (or worse, paying for a failed vaccine candidate). That was a risky choice, and Canada is falling behind because of their safer bet.

EDIT: just wanted to add that difference in market size has negatively affected Canadian consumers for generations, ever since improving technology allowed for mass production of consumer goods.

Ya, one of the biggest issues is we also don't have domestic manufacturing for Pharmaceuticals. Almost all of our vaccines are currently being flown from the EU. The EU has started discussing that it wants to cut back on allowing orders to leave the EU. My guess is that they wont stop Canadas shipments (1.5M a week) until the US is vaccinated (May/June) and then they will stop flying to us because we can just get it from Michigan. 

Without going into too much politics on whats right or wrong, the last 5 years has finally shaken the Canadian public awake in the fact that we rely on US/Globalization for so much. When Trump started enacting trade policies against us we realized we might need to reinvest in our own domestic manufacturing, and now the fact that we couldnt make enough PPE or vaccines has upset the Canadian public. So Ottawa has decided to invest Billions in jumpstarting our Pharma industry by building new manufacturing centres across the country. They wont be able to help in 2021 but they are supposed to be ready by 2022. 

Edit* This is where you can see globalization has fallen apart in the last 5 years. Before hand big multinational corporations and countries like Canada thought just having a massive plant in Michigan 90 miles from the border would be enough. Its only 4 hour drive from Canadas largest city so why invest 1B in a new massive plant in the GTA. Add the Trump presidency, Covid and now Canada will invest in that new 1B manufacturing plant and that multi national corporation will operate two massive plants (Michigan, Ontario) when pre 2016 1 was all that was needed. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Ya, one of the biggest issues is we also don't have domestic manufacturing for Pharmaceuticals. Almost all of our vaccines are currently being flown from the EU. The EU has started discussing that it wants to cut back on allowing orders to leave the EU. My guess is that they wont stop Canadas shipments (1.5M a week) until the US is vaccinated (May/June) and then they will stop flying to us because we can just get it from Michigan. 

Without going into too much politics on whats right or wrong, the last 5 years has finally shaken the Canadian public awake in the fact that we rely on US/Globalization for so much. When Trump started enacting trade policies against us we realized we might need to reinvest in our own domestic manufacturing, and now the fact that we couldnt make enough PPE or vaccines has upset the Canadian public. So Ottawa has decided to invest Billions in jumpstarting our Pharma industry by building new manufacturing centres across the country. They wont be able to help in 2021 but they are supposed to be ready by 2022. 

Edit* This is where you can see globalization has fallen apart in the last 5 years. Before hand big multinational corporations and countries like Canada thought just having a massive plant in Michigan 90 miles from the border would be enough. Its only 4 hour drive from Canadas largest city so why invest 1B in a new massive plant in the GTA. Add the Trump presidency, Covid and now Canada will invest in that new 1B manufacturing plant and that multi national corporation will operate two massive plants (Michigan, Ontario) when pre 2016 1 was all that was needed. 

You have a source? I’m pretty sure most of the vaccine being used by Americans is being produced domestically. I work for a company that makes equipment for food/beverage/pharma and there’s been a rush on equipment since August. image.thumb.png.a8fd3df31eca4873e75eae57c4d83163.png

59 minutes ago, WNash said:

If that were the method used pretty sure india and China would leave us high and dry. We wouldn’t see any vaccine for years. 

1 hour ago, champy said:

My girl and I just got back from Costa Rica. We flew Delta out of SYR. Tickets were great and Covid protocols well adhered to. Costa rica was beautiful with everything open and all the locals and most tourist wearing masks. Did have to buy travel insurance to get in the country (about $40pp) and take a covid test on way back for entry into the US (about $100). Felt nice to itch that travel scratch again. 

I went to Costa Rica a few years ago and loved it. That country is run 100% on renewable energy. Did you go to the rainforest? Arenal Volcano? 

10 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

You have a source? I’m pretty sure most of the vaccine being used by Americans is being produced domestically. I work for a company that makes equipment for food/beverage/pharma and there’s been a rush on equipment since August. image.thumb.png.a8fd3df31eca4873e75eae57c4d83163.png

He lives in Canada. He was saying how they are struggling because they don't make their own vaccines. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mississaugasnow said:

? Im Canadian. 

Ha my mistake. I need to slow down and keep track of who’s posting. I can say from experience with  CRN for piping that making anything in Canada that involves process piping is a giant pain in the ass

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luke_Mages said:

Ha my mistake. 

haha all good. Canada overall is pretty jealous of you guys right now. (Big reversal from last summer) 

We have headlines like this here 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-assured-vaccine-exports-from-eu-won-t-be-blocked-1.5363955

OTTAWA -- After concerns raised earlier this week, the federal government says it has received assurances from the European Union that Canada’s coming vaccine shipments will not be held back, despite the EU’s new export controls.

Both Procurement Minister Anita Anand and Export Promotion and International Trade Minister Mary Ng said Friday that they’ve received confirmation that the doses Canada is due, will be delivered.

According to a statement issued by Ng’s office, she spoke this week with the European Commissioner for Trade Valdis Dombrovskis and was told the EU’s latest vaccine restrictions “are not meant to target Canada.”

• Thanks 1

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/covid-19-some-canucks-cases-connected-with-brazilian-p-1-variant

That variant has been growing in number in B.C. over the past month and was recently identified as a major driver of an outbreak that originated in Whistler. Some research has shown the P.1 variant is as much as 2.5 times more transmissible than earlier strains of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/covid-19-some-canucks-cases-connected-with-brazilian-p-1-variant

That variant has been growing in number in B.C. over the past month and was recently identified as a major driver of an outbreak that originated in Whistler. Some research has shown the P.1 variant is as much as 2.5 times more transmissible than earlier strains of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.

Do you guys in WNY have widespread UK variant going around? Canada is just swamped now with Brazil and UK variant 

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I believe the UK variant is the primary strain around here right now. There is also another bug going around that me and my wife got. Today is day 12 with symptoms.

Yeah my understand is that B.1.1.7 has taken over in most of the east coast and Great Lakes states. I think they’re scaling up sequencing over the next month, so we should be able to have ongoing accurate variant data soon.

Sorry you and your wife are getting hit hard - are your symptoms mostly respiratory?

1 hour ago, WNash said:

Yeah my understand is that B.1.1.7 has taken over in most of the east coast and Great Lakes states. I think they’re scaling up sequencing over the next month, so we should be able to have ongoing accurate variant data soon.

Sorry you and your wife are getting hit hard - are your symptoms mostly respiratory?

We don't have covid, but a different virus. We've both been really sick with head/chest issues. We both had a fever for 3 days of around 100. Lots of mucus, headaches, fatigue, cough, etc...My buddy at work has it too. He called off 4 days, I called off 2. I never call off. I tested negative twice, and he did twice as well. So we have covid and another bad illness going around right now. I'm staying home lol. Tomorrow will be day 13 with symptoms, after what happened in January to me, the reaction to the medication I was taken, and now this...I've literally been sick all of 2021. I didn't get sick once in 2020.

• Sad 2

On 4/4/2021 at 1:02 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

We don't have covid, but a different virus. We've both been really sick with head/chest issues. We both had a fever for 3 days of around 100. Lots of mucus, headaches, fatigue, cough, etc...My buddy at work has it too. He called off 4 days, I called off 2. I never call off. I tested negative twice, and he did twice as well. So we have covid and another bad illness going around right now. I'm staying home lol. Tomorrow will be day 13 with symptoms, after what happened in January to me, the reaction to the medication I was taken, and now this...I've literally been sick all of 2021. I didn't get sick once in 2020.

Get tested for influenza? Likely that...

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic